Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default 13A Plug tops with neon light

In article ,
wrote:
It seems perfectly reasonable. Obviously best if the plug mouldings
are designed for the purpose, but a robust one should safely tolerate
minor modifications. The neon bulb will have thin flying leads cut to
exactly the right length and covered with heat resistant sleeving.
The neon and resistor probably best placed above the neutral pin, and
a slot for the live connection filed next to the hole for the earh
terminal screw in the plug top. A translucent plug top would be best,
otherwise a hole filled wth a glued in piece of transparent plastic
shaped so it cannot come out either inward or outward. As safe as the
original if carefully done. After all, you can get the same thing as
a nightlight, but with no flex fitted.

It's clear neither of you know what you're doing on this one. Which is
fine, but to criticise someone that does seems a bit foolish.

Why not just get a small LED mains panel light fitting complete. Wire it
to the plug and heatshrink etc to the iron mains lead.

--
*If you ate pasta and anti-pasta, would you still be hungry?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 8 March 2017 13:06:05 UTC, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
Judith wrote:
On Wed, 8 Mar 2017 03:16:55 -0800 (PST), tabbypurr wrote:

snip

It's clear neither of you know what you're doing on this one. Which is
fine, but to criticise someone that does seems a bit foolish.

Well why do you not explain quite clearly how you would fit the neon to
the plug - how do the wires enter the plug etc?

If I remember those things, the neon was mounted to the base of the plug
and either poked through the cover or had a window in it. Having it
mounted to the cover with flying leads would be too delicate.

Trying to make one would be pointless, given they can be bought on Ebay.

And a 3rd one that doesn't know what he's doing, but is happy to pass judgement.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

On 07/03/2017 08:25, Mike Tomlinson wrote:
En el artículo , ARW adamwadsworth@blue
yonder.co.uk escribió:

Just ask him to predict the outcome of something and then nip down to
the bookies and put £20 on the opposite happening.

Heh. Maybe he could predict the date my cat'll finally drop her sprogs.

If he does then you can be sure that is the day she will not.

--
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Judith wrote:

On Wed, 8 Mar 2017 10:13:13 +0000, (Roger Hayter) wrote:

snip

It seems perfectly reasonable. Obviously best if the plug mouldings are
designed for the purpose, but a robust one should safely tolerate minor
modifications.

If you are using a specific plus designed for the purpose then that is not
what we were talking about.

How do you modify the plug to permit the wires from the neon in to the plug?

The neon bulb will have thin flying leads cut to exactly
the right length and covered with heat resistant sleeving. The neon and
resistor probably best placed above the neutral pin, and a slot for the
live connection filed next to the hole for the earh terminal screw in
the plug top. A translucent plug top would be best, otherwise a hole
filled wth a glued in piece of transparent plastic shaped so it cannot
come out either inward or outward. As safe as the original if carefully
done.

After all, you can get the same thing as a nightlight, but with
no flex fitted.

Indeed: which is a professional product - not a bodge.

So where do the neon and resistor actually sit on the plug?

In the space above the neutral pin, connected to the latter and with a
thin lead accross over the earth pin to the live terminal. It would be
wrong to route it through the barrier between live and neutral as this
is a safety feature.

There is a difference between doing necessary diy and making a good job of
it and doing unnecessary diy and making an abortion of a pig's ear.

Before you make unwarranted assertions you need to examine a practical
example!

Would you really **** about like that for the sake of a couple of quid?

No, you asked if it could be safely done, not whether it was financially
worthwhile Mind you when I was a teenager without money at the
beginning of the 1960s I'd have done it if I wanted one.

--

Roger Hayter
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

On 07/03/2017 11:07, Mike Tomlinson wrote:
En el artículo , Adrian Caspersz
escribió:

If it helps, I saw the beginnings of a documentary where someone fed
their moggie after midnight, got it wet and it had lots of babies.

A different type of moggie. I hope.

Very
efficient delivery too.

If somewhat violent.

Cashless wager,
I predict tomorrow evening, 8pm

Oh, I dunno. I've given up trying to predict it. Adam's seen pics and
he thinks it'll be another week

She made me laugh last night. I was letting her out of the room,
opening the door. She usually dashes through ahead of me as soon as the
gap is big enough but this time the door got stuck on her bulge. The
more her claws scrabbled frenziedly on the tiles, the tighter the door
became. This went on for a while before I managed to gently pull her
back and open the door wide enough. Daft thing.

Sunday night/Monday morning on the settee:-)

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

Can we call it a cow's **** and not a pig's ear?

--
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y

En el artículo , ARW adamwadsworth@bluey
onder.co.uk escribió:

Can we call it a cow's ****

It's Judith, so yes.

--
(\_/)
(='.'=) systemd: the Linux version of Windows 10
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Judith wrote:
On Wed, 8 Mar 2017 03:16:55 -0800 (PST), tabbypurr wrote:

snip

It's clear neither of you know what you're doing on this one. Which is
fine, but to criticise someone that does seems a bit foolish.

Well why do you not explain quite clearly how you would fit the neon to
the plug - how do the wires enter the plug etc?

If I remember those things, the neon was mounted to the base of the plug
and either poked through the cover or had a window in it. Having it
mounted to the cover with flying leads would be too delicate.

Trying to make one would be pointless, given they can be bought on Ebay.

And a 3rd one that doesn't know what he's doing, but is happy to pass judgement.

Feel free to explain *precisely* how you would make it then: I'm sure that
everyone will applaud your enterprise.

When a discussion degenerates to questions like how do you spell ABC, no, I have not the least interest. So you carry on talking ballcocks, and I'll spend my time doing something of at least some relevance and interest. And if we're really lucky, somewhere along the line you'll at least admit you haven't got a clue on this topic. But I doubt you even know that.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Judith wrote:
[...]

Ho, ho, ho

Scared that people will take the **** out of your abortive effort - just
because you wouldn't fork out a couple of quid.

I must admit I thought that you were probably taking the **** when you said
that you would make something out of a plug and a neon.

Now I know you are, if you are unwilling to explain your technique/

Scared that people here who know much more about such things than me will take
the **** out of your attempt.

Keep up the good work.