Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Opinions sought - Electric Toothbrush

I want a new one - my current Remington Sonic has expired. My previous Oral
B (several) became slow and water got in.

I quess 3 - 4 years life is reasonable, but with Oral B I can't see what
the differences are - do they just go faster if you pay more?

Any ideas (not including but a conventional one as I like Electric ones)?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25/02/2017 11:48, DerbyBorn wrote:
I want a new one - my current Remington Sonic has expired. My previous Oral
B (several) became slow and water got in.

I quess 3 - 4 years life is reasonable, but with Oral B I can't see what
the differences are - do they just go faster if you pay more?

Any ideas (not including but a conventional one as I like Electric ones)?

What do you want: a post expensive rechargeable one or a cheapo one with
removable batteries? For the latter the Oral-B Braun used to be about a
tenner, and Wilko sell a Wisdom for £3.25.

A posh one should last a lot longer than 3-4 years.

--
Max Demian
Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

On 25/02/2017 11:48, DerbyBorn wrote:
I want a new one - my current Remington Sonic has expired. My previous Oral
B (several) became slow and water got in.

I quess 3 - 4 years life is reasonable, but with Oral B I can't see what
the differences are - do they just go faster if you pay more?

Any ideas (not including but a conventional one as I like Electric ones)?

I bought a Sonicare Diamondclean for a whopping £80. I hate to say this,
but it is worth it. It cleans so much better than the old Sonicare and
the brush heads are cheaper.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2/25/2017 11:48 AM, DerbyBorn wrote:
I want a new one - my current Remington Sonic has expired. My previous Oral
B (several) became slow and water got in.

I quess 3 - 4 years life is reasonable, but with Oral B I can't see what
the differences are - do they just go faster if you pay more?

Any ideas (not including but a conventional one as I like Electric ones)?

We've certainly had more than four years out of a pair of rechargable
Oral Bs. I think I had more than 10 years out of one before I left it at
a hotel. The battery capacity was down by then but not a problem as it
lived on a charger. I don't think the speed was down. I had a non-Braun
AA one in the distant past, I found the Brauns much better.

AFAIK the main difference with the expensive ones is things like timers
(do they also have one which also moves axially?)

Personally, I like the round brushes which have the little rubber
paddles in them. Brushes are expensive but you can save a bit on eBay.
If there are fake clones around, I havn't detected them.

I also have a Panasonic water-pick which I find effective.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Each Braun I had came with an ever shorter mains lead. The last wouldn't
reach the shelf I kept it on and I had to use a previous charger.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 25 Feb 2017 13:22:59 +0000, newshound
wrote:

[...]

I like Oral-B/Braun but I find the battery life disappointing, both
time between charges and overall life of the battery. I do not
routinely leave it on the charger. I suppose if one does this would
be far less of an issue.

I believe they still contain NiMH batteries when the rest of the world
has moved on to lithium ion.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 25 Feb 2017 11:48:32 GMT, DerbyBorn
wrote:

I want a new one - my current Remington Sonic has expired. My previous Oral
B (several) became slow and water got in.

I quess 3 - 4 years life is reasonable, but with Oral B I can't see what
the differences are - do they just go faster if you pay more?

Any ideas (not including but a conventional one as I like Electric ones)?

Looking at the thread below (at the time of writing) I could suggest
that all the hot air comes from Jeremy Corbyn :-)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25/02/2017 11:48, DerbyBorn wrote:
I want a new one - my current Remington Sonic has expired. My previous Oral
B (several) became slow and water got in.

I quess 3 - 4 years life is reasonable, but with Oral B I can't see what
the differences are - do they just go faster if you pay more?

Any ideas (not including but a conventional one as I like Electric ones)?

Presumably you like sonic toothbrushes if you had a Remington Sonic? Not
everyone does.

A few years ago, I bought a sonic brush from ALDI for about 18 quid.
That was perfectly good and had several programs, and a timer to give 4
x 30 second periods for top/bottom, back/front. Unfortunately it broke
in my toilet bag when I was travelling somewhere or other, and I
couldn't get another one because ALDI only bring them out for a week or
so about once a year.

I looked for the nearest equivalent without spending a fortune, and
bought a Philips Sonicare. I've been very impressed with that. It, too,
has a timer with 4 x 30 second slots. The battery life is incredible. I
usually charge it once a fortnight whether it needs it or not - but I
recently used it in Australia for 4 weeks without needing to re-change it.

By way of comparison, my wife's Braun Oral B, with a rotary brush, seems
to last less than a week before it needs re-charging.
--
Cheers,
Roger
Posted to uk.d-i-y

By way of comparison, my wife's Braun Oral B, with a rotary brush,
seems to last less than a week before it needs re-charging.

The mechanism of the Sonic (Remington) is interesting - merely a rotating
out of balance rotor on a flexi shaft. No real friction load on the motor -
hence the battery life I guess.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 25 Feb 2017 16:30:35 +0000, Tim Streater
wrote:

In article , Roger Mills
wrote:

By way of comparison, my wife's Braun Oral B, with a rotary brush, seems
to last less than a week before it needs re-charging.

Leave it on the charger when not in use.

Not necessarily an option 'in Australia for 4 weeks' unless you happen
to know RM's itinerary.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25/02/2017 16:30, Tim Streater wrote:
In article , Roger Mills
wrote:

By way of comparison, my wife's Braun Oral B, with a rotary brush,
seems to last less than a week before it needs re-charging.

Leave it on the charger when not in use.

Can't easily do that 'cos there no suitable power outlet in the bathroom.
--
Cheers,
Roger
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, February 25, 2017 at 4:45:04 PM UTC, DerbyBorn wrote:

By way of comparison, my wife's Braun Oral B, with a rotary brush,
seems to last less than a week before it needs re-charging.

The mechanism of the Sonic (Remington) is interesting - merely a rotating
out of balance rotor on a flexi shaft. No real friction load on the motor -
hence the battery life I guess.

Does it not have an ultrasonic transducer as well? I thought that's what the 'sonic' meant.

Robert

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
pamela wrote:
On 16:22 25 Feb 2017, Roger Mills wrote:

[...]

Sonic toothbrushes sound swanky.

are they related to Dr Who's sonic screwdriver?

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y

RobertL wrote:

DerbyBorn wrote:

The mechanism of the Sonic (Remington) is interesting - merely a rotating
out of balance rotor on a flexi shaft. No real friction load on the motor -
hence the battery life I guess.

Does it not have an ultrasonic transducer as well? I thought that's
what the 'sonic' meant.

That's what they want you to think, sonic is audible frequency,
ultrasonic is higher (theoretically anything above 20kHz but in practice
for toothbrushes 1.6MHz)
Posted to uk.d-i-y
djc djc is offline

On 25/02/17 11:48, DerbyBorn wrote:
I want a new one - my current Remington Sonic has expired. My previous Oral
B (several) became slow and water got in.

I quess 3 - 4 years life is reasonable, but with Oral B I can't see what
the differences are - do they just go faster if you pay more?

Any ideas (not including but a conventional one as I like Electric ones)?

Today I bought an Oral-B in Waitrose for £17.50 ("50% off"), it was
£20-25 a few months ago in various places. They also had another Oral-B
model at £20, after careful study I decided the only difference for
£2.50 was packing in a cardboard box rather than a bubble pack and a
different brush head. The charger is the same, so is the handle, and
compatible with the same range of heads. I have plenty of spare heads
from the old model which is showing signs of battery fatigue so I can
afford to wait for the heads to come on 50% off special offer again.

--
djc

(–€Ì¿Ä¹Ì¯–€Ì¿ Ì¿)
No low-hanging fruit, just a lot of small berries up a tall tree.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25/02/17 21:28, pamela wrote:

The sonic thing sounds interesting but I think I'm probably
kidding myself if I get one because unless it's a true improvement
I will probably fall back on my regular toothbrush.

I used to have Oral B - when the batteries lasted for years. Last one
was feeble and the batteries died in a fraction of the time. Moved to
Philips and am impressed with the better performance and better battery
life (so far).
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, 25 February 2017 21:53:24 UTC, Tim Watts wrote:
On 25/02/17 21:28, pamela wrote:

The sonic thing sounds interesting but I think I'm probably
kidding myself if I get one because unless it's a true improvement
I will probably fall back on my regular toothbrush.

I used to have Oral B - when the batteries lasted for years. Last one
was feeble and the batteries died in a fraction of the time. Moved to
Philips and am impressed with the better performance and better battery
life (so far).

They're far better than manual brushes.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2017-02-25 12:19, Max Demian wrote:

What do you want: a [posh] expensive rechargeable one or a cheapo one with
removable batteries? For the latter the Oral-B Braun used to be about a
tenner, and Wilko sell a Wisdom for £3.25.

The cheap ones that run off replaceable batteries are low powered. They
will produce considerably inferior results to a rechargeable one.

--
Graham Nye
news(a)thenyes.org.uk
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2017-02-25 21:40, Andy Burns wrote:
RobertL wrote:

Does it not have an ultrasonic transducer as well? I thought that's
what the 'sonic' meant.

That's what they want you to think, sonic is audible frequency,
ultrasonic is higher (theoretically anything above 20kHz but in practice
for toothbrushes 1.6MHz)

The FFT analyser on my phone[1] says my Sonicare is running at 258 Hz.

[1] Doesn't everyone?

--
Graham Nye
news(a)thenyes.org.uk
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Graham Nye wrote:

Andy Burns wrote:

sonic is audible frequency, ultrasonic is higher (theoretically
anything above 20kHz but in practice for toothbrushes 1.6MHz)

The FFT analyser on my phone[1] says my Sonicare is running at 258 Hz.

Just be be clear, I was saying that most toothbrushes aren't ultrasonic,
but those that are, are significantly above sonic range.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2017-02-25 16:22, Roger Mills wrote:

I looked for the nearest equivalent without spending a fortune, and
bought a Philips Sonicare. I've been very impressed with that. It, too,
has a timer with 4 x 30 second slots. The battery life is incredible. I
usually charge it once a fortnight whether it needs it or not - but I
recently used it in Australia for 4 weeks without needing to re-change it.

By way of comparison, my wife's Braun Oral B, with a rotary brush, seems
to last less than a week before it needs re-charging.

I've had several Oral-Bs and Sonicares and my experience is the same as
Roger's (without the trip to Australia, though I don't bother to take my
sonicare charger on holiday).

The Sonicare has a li-ion battery (and presumably a better control circuit)
which runs at full power until it needs a recharge. The Oral-B has a Ni-MH
battery which only runs at full power for a few days then fades away to
uselessness well before it actually stops.

The Oral-Bs do seem to last longer. The Sonicares come with a 2 year
guarantee so make sure you keep your guarantee paperwork and proof of
purchase (or register it online).

When I visit my dentist I need less clean-up work (scale and polish)
when using a Sonicare than an Oral-B.

--
Graham Nye
news(a)thenyes.org.uk
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2017-02-25 23:26, Andy Burns wrote:
Graham Nye wrote:

Andy Burns wrote:

sonic is audible frequency, ultrasonic is higher (theoretically
anything above 20kHz but in practice for toothbrushes 1.6MHz)

The FFT analyser on my phone says my Sonicare is running at 258 Hz.

Just be be clear, I was saying that most toothbrushes aren't ultrasonic,
but those that are, are significantly above sonic range.

Fair enough. OOI, which ones do work that way?

--
Graham Nye
news(a)thenyes.org.uk
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Graham Nye wrote:

Andy Burns wrote:

most toothbrushes aren't ultrasonic,
but those that are, are significantly above sonic range.

Fair enough. OOI, which ones do work that way?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00G9CS28K

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25/02/2017 21:50, DJC wrote:
[...]

I have an excellent dentist, she recommends electric toothbrushes, so I
have one. However she does not rate the sonic versions as cleaning teeth
better. I have had, for a number of years of years Braun, always worked
and lasted well, until this one which ahs gone flaky rather quickly.
what irritates me is they used to supply a charger that fixed to the
wall, now they only do free standing ones, which are a PITA.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 25 Feb 2017 13:34:08 +0000, Tim Streater wrote:

In article , Max
Demian wrote:

On 25/02/2017 11:48, DerbyBorn wrote:
I want a new one - my current Remington Sonic has expired. My previous Oral
B (several) became slow and water got in.

I quess 3 - 4 years life is reasonable, but with Oral B I can't see what
the differences are - do they just go faster if you pay more?

Any ideas (not including but a conventional one as I like Electric ones)?

What do you want: a post expensive rechargeable one or a cheapo one with
removable batteries? For the latter the Oral-B Braun used to be about a
tenner, and Wilko sell a Wisdom for £3.25.

A posh one should last a lot longer than 3-4 years.

Been using Oral-B for about 30 years. The then-current one packed up so
I got a new £10 Oral-B. It lasted about a year. So I then got a £40 or
so "professional" Oral-B and that's lasted at least 12 years so far.

I had an Oral-B 500 Pro that ran well for about 38 months then started to
go.
Bought a £9 Oral-B 28 months ago, it's still OK and it can be 'recharged' in
a minute or so. I change the battery (2x2.4Ah Eneloops) every month.
It's far less inconvenient than the rechargeable one (18 hours - really? -
what pillock came up with that for something in use twice a day!) - and, so
far, is far more cost effective.
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , DJC writes
[...]

Huh! Brush head margins are the new printer ink profit model.

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2017-02-25 21:40, Andy Burns wrote:
RobertL wrote:

Does it not have an ultrasonic transducer as well? I thought that's
what the 'sonic' meant.

That's what they want you to think, sonic is audible frequency,
ultrasonic is higher (theoretically anything above 20kHz but in practice
for toothbrushes 1.6MHz)

The FFT analyser on my phone[1] says my Sonicare is running at 258 Hz.

[1] Doesn't everyone?

Sounds about right. I reckon that the note I get if a solid part of the
brush contacts a tooth is around middle C. Definitely sonic and not
ultrasonic!
--
Cheers,
Roger
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26/02/2017 10:14, Tim Lamb wrote:
In message , DJC writes
[...]

But they don't run out of ink! I'm still using the original head which
came with my Sonicare over 2 years ago. Is that bad? If so, why - it
still works perfectly ok?
--
Cheers,
Roger
Posted to uk.d-i-y

I have bought a Braun that take AA Batteries - and have put silicone on the
o ring so I hope to be able to run it on Eneloops fo ra while.

In the meanitime I have managed to replace the battery in the Remington
Sonic. However not sure it will be as waterproof so I am not going ot get
too excited about it.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Roger Mills
writes
On 26/02/2017 10:14, Tim Lamb wrote:
es)?

Today I bought an Oral-B in Waitrose for £17.50 ("50% off"), it was
£20-25 a few months ago in various places. They also had another
Oral-B model at £20, after careful study I decided the only difference
for £2.50 was packing in a cardboard box rather than a bubble pack and
a different brush head. The charger is the same, so is the handle, and
compatible with the same range of heads. I have plenty of spare heads
from the old model which is showing signs of battery fatigue so I can
afford to wait for the heads to come on 50% off special offer again.

Huh! Brush head margins are the new printer ink profit model.

But they don't run out of ink! I'm still using the original head which
came with my Sonicare over 2 years ago. Is that bad? If so, why - it
still works perfectly ok?

Probably. I'm convinced my dentist is employed by Philips from the fuss
he makes about model used, time spent and not exceeding the head
replacement timing!

--
Tim Lamb

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Tim Streater
writes
In article , Max
Demian wrote:

On 25/02/2017 11:48, DerbyBorn wrote:
I want a new one - my current Remington Sonic has expired. My previous Oral
B (several) became slow and water got in.

I quess 3 - 4 years life is reasonable, but with Oral B I can't see what
the differences are - do they just go faster if you pay more?

Any ideas (not including but a conventional one as I like Electric ones)?

What do you want: a post expensive rechargeable one or a cheapo one
with removable batteries? For the latter the Oral-B Braun used to be
about a tenner, and Wilko sell a Wisdom for £3.25.

A posh one should last a lot longer than 3-4 years.

Been using Oral-B for about 30 years. The then-current one packed up so
I got a new £10 Oral-B. It lasted about a year. So I then got a £40 or
so "professional" Oral-B and that's lasted at least 12 years so far.

Likewise I had an Oral B lasted for many years (over 15 at least). It
had a wall-mounted holder/charger. But when I came to renew it I was
told by the manufacturer that they could no longer supply a wall mounted
version due to EU regulations (I kid you not). So one sale lost and I've
gone back to standard tooth brush. No wonder the EU is going down the
pan.
--
bert
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2017-02-25 23:47, Andy Burns wrote:
Graham Nye wrote:

Andy Burns wrote:

most toothbrushes aren't ultrasonic,
but those that are, are significantly above sonic range.

Fair enough. OOI, which ones do work that way?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00G9CS28K

Thanks. Have you tried one? Any comments?

--
Graham Nye
news(a)thenyes.org.uk
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2017-02-26 12:31, Roger Mills wrote:
On 26/02/2017 10:14, Tim Lamb wrote:

Huh! Brush head margins are the new printer ink profit model.

But they don't run out of ink! I'm still using the original head which
came with my Sonicare over 2 years ago. Is that bad? If so, why - it
still works perfectly ok?

The bristles soften with use and no longer clean as effectively. Sonicare
suggest you change the head every 3 months. When new some of the bristles
should have been blue. The colour fades with use so when they go white its
time for a new brush head.

When it comes to buying new ones I just grit my teeth and think of the
hygienist's bills I'm saving.

--
Graham Nye
news(a)thenyes.org.uk
Posted to uk.d-i-y

The bristles soften with use and no longer clean as effectively.
Sonicare suggest you change the head every 3 months. When new some of
the bristles should have been blue. The colour fades with use so when
they go white its time for a new brush head.

When it comes to buying new ones I just grit my teeth and think of the
hygienist's bills I'm saving.

....and the ends of the bristles each become rounded off rather than blunt
cut.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Graham Nye wrote:

Andy Burns wrote:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00G9CS28K

Thanks. Have you tried one? Any comments?

No, I just have a Braun, which is probably ~8 years old and could do
with replacing as the rubber grips are going a bit "gummy".

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, 25 February 2017 23:45:58 UTC, Andy Burns wrote:
Graham Nye wrote:
Andy Burns wrote:

most toothbrushes aren't ultrasonic,
but those that are, are significantly above sonic range.

Fair enough. OOI, which ones do work that way?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00G9CS28K

Call me cynical. There's no way you're going to get a toothbrush head to move back and forth at 1.6MHz, even slightly. And all the promo copy is written in a way that may well merely mean that the smpsu sends the motor pulsed power at 1.6MHz, which would not have any effect whatever on teeth or plaque.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25/02/2017 11:48, DerbyBorn wrote:
I want a new one - my current Remington Sonic has expired. My previous Oral
B (several) became slow and water got in.

I quess 3 - 4 years life is reasonable, but with Oral B I can't see what
the differences are - do they just go faster if you pay more?

Any ideas (not including but a conventional one as I like Electric ones)?

Many thanks, it has worked and found exactly what I wanted.