Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Boots electric toothbrush

The rechargeable battery in my Boots toothbrush is dying.
I think the brush is about 2 years old.
I'd like to change the battery, but I don't see how to get it out.
If anyone has met and solved this problem, I'd be grateful to learn how.

--
Timothy Murphy
e-mail: gayleard /at/ eircom.net

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/01/2014 16:51, Timothy Murphy wrote:
The rechargeable battery in my Boots toothbrush is dying.
I think the brush is about 2 years old.
I'd like to change the battery, but I don't see how to get it out.
If anyone has met and solved this problem, I'd be grateful to learn how.

*If* it's the same as the Braun ones: just put it on its charger and
turn anticlockwise through 60-90 degrees (the base is like a bayonet
fitting) then push the whole lot out by pressing on the metal "driving
end".
Posted to uk.d-i-y

unknown wrote:

On 15/01/2014 16:51, Timothy Murphy wrote:

The rechargeable battery in my Boots toothbrush is dying.
I think the brush is about 2 years old.
I'd like to change the battery, but I don't see how to get it out.

*If* it's the same as the Braun ones: just put it on its charger and
turn anticlockwise through 60-90 degrees

I thought that was the "self destruct" mechanism before tossing it in
the WEEE bin?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 15 January 2014 18:57:11 UTC, Andy Burns wrote:

I thought that was the "self destruct" mechanism before tossing it in
the WEEE bin?

It's reversible, or at least was on the Braun toothbrush I had a few years back.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/01/2014 16:51, Timothy Murphy wrote:
The rechargeable battery in my Boots toothbrush is dying.
I think the brush is about 2 years old.
I'd like to change the battery, but I don't see how to get it out.
If anyone has met and solved this problem, I'd be grateful to learn how.

Dunno about the Boots one. My Philips brush has a disc on the base which
can be unscrewed by using the edge of a coin in its slot. [There's a
label over the disc, which has to be removed first.]

Once you've removed the disc, you can pull the battery out - complete
with its wires (it's the solder tag type). You then have to solder a new
battery in place of the old one, and insert it back into the body of the
brush. It's quite fiddly getting the wires back in - but I've done it a
couple of times during its (quite long) life span.
--
Cheers,
Roger

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/01/2014 16:51, Timothy Murphy wrote:
The rechargeable battery in my Boots toothbrush is dying.
I think the brush is about 2 years old.
I'd like to change the battery, but I don't see how to get it out.
If anyone has met and solved this problem, I'd be grateful to learn how.

There are pictures of how to take the Braun electric toothbrushes apart
on youtube. - If that helps

I recently bought one of these on ebay for £21.82

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/..._ya_os_product

--
Michael Chare
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/01/2014 16:51, Timothy Murphy wrote:
The rechargeable battery in my Boots toothbrush is dying.
I think the brush is about 2 years old.
I'd like to change the battery, but I don't see how to get it out.
If anyone has met and solved this problem, I'd be grateful to learn how.

If it's mechanical dump it and get a sonic one. They do a better job of
me gumsline and I reckon (just having bought one) that,

1) the heads go on for longer,
2) The handle of Poundshop Colgate standard handheld brushes can be
chopped, drilled and adapted to fit!

Win Win.

--
Adrian C

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, January 15, 2014 10:50:25 PM UTC, Adrian C wrote:
On 15/01/2014 16:51, Timothy Murphy wrote:

2) The handle of Poundshop Colgate standard handheld brushes can be
chopped, drilled and adapted to fit!
Win Win.

God, I thought I was tight

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Adrian C wrote:
2) The handle of Poundshop Colgate standard handheld brushes can be
chopped, drilled and adapted to fit!

How many of those do you get to the pound?

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/01/2014 10:10, Roger Mills wrote:
On 16/01/2014 09:56, ss wrote:

I cant use a sonic as the frequency `tickles` my gums to the point of
unbearable. For the time I did persevere I thought they were much better
at cleaning but had to revert back to a normal electric.

Yes, I've just bought a sonic one from ALDI and have used it for a
couple of days. Can't say that I like the tickling sensation, but I
think I might get used to it.

With a manual hand held toothbrush the dentist told me I was brushing my
gums too hard, and suggested flossing them instead. Hmmm, not fast when
I'm late for work.

I had a couple of mechanical braun electric brushes with various
wonderful Oral-B heads, polishing and flossing. There was a temptation
to apply pressure to get the food out of the gaps, particulary with worn
heads, but the sides of these oscillatory rotary brushes and me gums?
Ouch! To them it's a bit like having an angle grinder attached to the
head of a multitool!

So the sonic vibration works for me

--
Adrian C

Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

You must remember dentists love to hear themselves talk. There is more bollix talked by both dentists and opticians. Always makes me suspicious they are just trying to justify their existence
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/01/2014 09:56, ss wrote:

[...]

My son and I purchased an electric toothbrush at the same time. Every
three months I fully discharge mine, as a result, up to press, my
battery has lasted over a year long than his.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Adrian C
writes
On 16/01/2014 09:56, ss wrote:

[...]

I don't like the sonic ones either.

Got my daughter one, ands I tried it, but hated the feel of it, sticking
with me Braun :-)
--
Chris French

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 16 Jan 2014 10:46:01 +0000, Adrian C wrote:

I had a couple of mechanical braun electric brushes with various
wonderful Oral-B heads, polishing and flossing. There was a temptation
to apply pressure to get the food out of the gaps, particulary with worn
heads, but the sides of these oscillatory rotary brushes and me gums?
Ouch! To them it's a bit like having an angle grinder attached to the
head of a multitool!

Same experience here, with the flossing heads. I pulled the 4 yellow bits
out of the head and now it works OK and my gums are no longer sore.
OK, some of the flossing action might have gone, but I had 4 new heads to
use up.
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away