Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Ridge tile off roof

A ridge tile has fallen on to the flat roof can I put it back on with grip fill or do I need to chip away the old cement and fit it with new cement. Just thinking grip fill would be easier.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Phil L" wrote in
:

curious wrote:
A ridge tile has fallen on to the flat roof can I put it back on with
grip fill or do I need to chip away the old cement and fit it with
new cement. Just thinking grip fill would be easier.

Gripfil.

cement has very little adhesive qualities, they're normally just sat
in place and pointed around, the cement acts as a stabiliser more than
anything

Mine have an embeded galvansied wire to embed itself into the cement. Seems
a good idea.
..

Posted to uk.d-i-y

curious wrote:
A ridge tile has fallen on to the flat roof can I put it back on with
grip fill or do I need to chip away the old cement and fit it with
new cement. Just thinking grip fill would be easier.

A couple of years ago a builder told me that he only charges £20 per ridge
tile. This is taking them down, clean up and putting back.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

curious wrote:

A ridge tile has fallen on to the flat roof

Neighbour's fence is in my garden and someone's wheelie bin went flying
down the road (why they put it out over 24 hours early when there was a
storm due, I don't really know).

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Is gripfill good enough for an exposed roof?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

I'd be tempted first of all, assuming I really wanted to go on my roof,
which I do not, that the first thing to do is check the rest of the times
and the cement fillets etc, after such a battering as otherwise there might
be more work to do.
I have been told that if my roof needs work to be sure to get a person who
has a proper roof ladder as on old roofs the underlying structure might not
take the work of an amateur clambering about on it.
There have been a lot of injuries and even deaths of people 'just putting
a ridge tile back'
As for kind of gluing it back, well temp repair, sure, but I'd not expect it
to last if you are e bonding it to cement that has already cracked once to
let the tile come off in the first place.
Brian

--
----- -
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please!
"curious" wrote in message
A ridge tile has fallen on to the flat roof can I put it back on with grip
fill or do I need to chip away the old cement and fit it with new cement.
Just thinking grip fill would be easier.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Will get a local builder in when the weather is better to check all the ridge tiles.Really just looking for a temporary seasonal fix.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

curious pretended :
Will get a local builder in when the weather is better to check all the ridge
tiles.Really just looking for a temporary seasonal fix.

I was a bit concerned about our ridge tiles seeing the winter through,
so I had a roofer take a look whilst he was fixing the chimney
flaunching. He said there is never a need to re-bed them, they just
re-point the edges without lifting them. He charged £70 for redoing
them all, end to end.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Harry Bloomfield
wrote:
curious pretended :
Will get a local builder in when the weather is better to check all the
ridge tiles.Really just looking for a temporary seasonal fix.

I was a bit concerned about our ridge tiles seeing the winter through,
so I had a roofer take a look whilst he was fixing the chimney
flaunching. He said there is never a need to re-bed them, they just
re-point the edges without lifting them. He charged £70 for redoing them
all, end to end.

From the ground, our roofing man said they needed repointing (after 100
years) but on close inspection rebedded them. He wqas up there to replace
some dropped tikes.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 24/02/2017 10:26, charles wrote:
From the ground, our roofing man said they needed repointing (after 100
years) but on close inspection rebedded them. He wqas up there to replace
some dropped tikes.

Is this some arcane term I don't know, or have you been dropping
Yorkshiremen off your roof?

Andy
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 24/02/2017 10:18, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
curious pretended :
Will get a local builder in when the weather is better to check all
the ridge tiles.Really just looking for a temporary seasonal fix.

I was a bit concerned about our ridge tiles seeing the winter through,
so I had a roofer take a look whilst he was fixing the chimney
flaunching. He said there is never a need to re-bed them, they just
re-point the edges without lifting them. He charged £70 for redoing them
all, end to end.

That was a waste of £70.

If they are loose, and just sitting on the mortar then a bad
storm with plenty of buffetting (violent up and down air
movements) then they could be dislodged.

Take them all off, remove the old mortar and give a good
scrub with a wire brush to remove any dust.

Ridge tiles need to be bedded in a very strong mortar mix
that adheres well to the tile.. This gives it added mass
to keep it in place.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andrew wrote on 28/02/2017 :
That was a waste of £70.

If they are loose, and just sitting on the mortar then a bad
storm with plenty of buffetting (violent up and down air
movements) then they could be dislodged.

I'm not convinced. It would need the wind to get under them, to lift
them off - repointed as they were, the wind cannot get under.

They were rebedded some 15 years ago, but not properly pointed at the
time. I had him round to reflaunch the chimney, as there were
indications below of obvious ingress. His reflaunching entirely fixed
that issue, but he pointed out at the same time, that the ridge needed
to be repointed, but he didn't have time to do it there and then. It
was obvious to me that it needed to be done, so I made arrangements for
him to return.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Lee Lee is offline

replying to Harry Bloomfield, Lee wrote:
Sorry but this never is a great idea. If you re-point, there will only be a
very thin layer of mortar which will crack and fall away within a year or so.
Always re-bed and it will last for years and years.

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/uk-diy...f-1192470-.htm

Non-setting mastic for roof ridge tile pointing Steve UK diy 9 January 20th 14 10:51 PM
ridge tile/vent? ian17 Home Repair 5 March 11th 13 03:20 PM
Ridge Tile on Kent Peg roof sadsjon UK diy 8 October 9th 11 09:57 PM
Ridge tile pointing repair Steve UK diy 4 September 12th 09 05:04 PM
roof ladder that can attach to a party wall instead of a roof ridge? [email protected] UK diy 2 July 11th 06 08:30 PM