Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Ridge Tile on Kent Peg roof

I have had my chimney pots lined recently and needed scaffolding to be
installed. Looking around up there I was horrified to find that the
gable roof where it meets the main roof the ridge tile was shattered
into pieces and the felt all exposed. Furthermore, the lead "saddle"
had been fitted underneath the ridge tile rather than over the top
which is totally out of keeping with the other roofs and just doesn't
make sense!

Unable to find a jobbing roofer willing to undertake such a "small"
repair I decided to do it myself, I was going to replace some kent peg
whilst I has the scaffolding up anyway.

This involved the hairy task of climbing down a scafollding ladder
bolted to the gantry and then shuffling along the ridge of the gable -
I'm sure you roofers are used to it but its scary to say the least!

Anyhow, onto my problem.

I went to to local reclaim tile.brick yard and managed to get some
kent peg - all sorts of sizes and shapes I note - but also a ridge
tile that was perfect. I bought 2 just in case. One I honed down so
that it is cut to the same pitch as the roof.

Now my dilema, do I plant the ridge tiles all the way along the ridge
where they were missing/broken and butt up to the battons on the main
roof and then cut the tiles down to fit around the protuding ridge
tile or butt my ridge tile up to the outside of the tiled roof.

If I butt up to the main room battons I am more likely to get a decent
seal - at least I think so.

And how do I make the new "saddle" stay in place?

and finally, the original ridge tile was 12 inches long and it looks
like the bit that went against the roof was just a triangular shaped
slither. I bought a 14" replacement but it will still be too short to
use just one ridge tile.

Should I try and cut both tiles so they are approximately covering
half of the gap each or is it best to try and keep the tiles as long
as possible and fill in with a small piece at the end?

can anyone help?

many thanks all,

sadsjon
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Oct 5, 3:22*pm, sadsjon wrote:
[...]

Maybe get some help here?
http://www.babylontileworks.co.uk/about.htm
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Oct 5, 7:56*pm, sadsjon wrote:
Maybe get some help here?http://www.babylontileworks.co.uk/about.htm

Thanks Harry, but having reviewed t heir web site, I think they may
want to sell me some tiles, I have the materials, I just want to know
how to place my ridge tile really.

I am quite enjoying life on the dangerous side ...

I am looking forward to the sense of achievement that I have clambered
up on the roof and fixed it myself.

can anyone advise me?

thanks all

jON

The best thing to do is to examine the original works and do the same.
Little bits of tile are no goodBTW you need to trim down several big
ones. (Assuming they are plain tile.)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
sadsjon writes:
I have had my chimney pots lined recently and needed scaffolding to be
installed. Looking around up there I was horrified to find that the
gable roof where it meets the main roof the ridge tile was shattered
into pieces and the felt all exposed. Furthermore, the lead "saddle"
had been fitted underneath the ridge tile rather than over the top
which is totally out of keeping with the other roofs and just doesn't
make sense!

I had the leadwork redone around a chimney, and the guy (who seemed
to know what he's doing, and has done a very nice job) also lifted
off the end ridge tile to put the flashing underneath, so I presume
it's not incorrect. There are two layers of lead at that point.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Oct 6, 1:02*pm, (Andrew Gabriel) wrote:
In article ,
* * * * sadsjon writes:

I have had my chimney pots lined recently and needed scaffolding to be
installed. Looking around up there I was horrified to find that the
gable roof where it meets the main roof the ridge tile was shattered
into pieces and the felt all exposed. Furthermore, the lead "saddle"
had been fitted underneath the ridge tile rather than over the top
which is totally out of keeping with the other roofs and just doesn't
make sense!

I had the leadwork redone around a chimney, and the guy (who seemed
to know what he's doing, and has done a very nice job) also lifted
off the end ridge tile to put the flashing underneath, so I presume
it's not incorrect. There are two layers of lead at that point.

--
Andrew Gabriel

Thats an interesting thought Andrew however, this was very definately
just one layer of lead under the ridge tile and none over the ridge
tile. All the other houses in our row had the last ridge tile leaded
over.

Either the rest of the lead fell off the roof (that would smart - an
18" square of lead would be quite heavy on your head) or it was never
in place. I reckon it was missing and was bodged - it would be in
keeping with other bodges I have discovered.

But I would dearly love someone to tell me, quite simply, do I ridge
tile up to the batons or up to the main roof slope (kent peg tiles).

This is the only query I have, everything else is sorted and whilst
last weekend was silly hot, this weekend will be wet and windy and I
really want to sort it out before the rest of my roof blows away :-)

anyone have any thoughts on this?

cheers all,

jON

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Oct 6, 8:53*am, harry wrote:
On Oct 5, 7:56*pm, sadsjon wrote:

Maybe get some help here?http://www.babylontileworks.co.uk/about.htm

Thanks Harry, but having reviewed t heir web site, I think they may
want to sell me some tiles, I have the materials, I just want to know
how to place my ridge tile really.

I am quite enjoying life on the dangerous side ...

I am looking forward to the sense of achievement that I have clambered
up on the roof and fixed it myself.

can anyone advise me?

thanks all

jON

The best thing to do is to examine the original works and do the same.
Little bits of tile are no goodBTW you need to trim down several big
ones. (Assuming they are plain tile.)

Original works look like they exploded. Thats all I can say ... quite
literally no evidence to guide me one way or tother.

jON
Posted to uk.d-i-y

* * * * sadsjon writes:

[...]

jON- Hide quoted text -

Either way doesn’t matter, on top is easier but unsightly. I’ve always
been taught to put it over the top of the tiles under the ridge and
dress down over the valley tiles. Make sure you return the lead back
on its self at the end on the ridge tree and the other end that goes
up the main roof goes under two tiles.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Either way doesn’t matter, on top is easier but unsightly. I’ve always
been taught to put it over the top of the tiles under theridgeand
dress down over the valley tiles. Make sure you return the lead back
on its self at the end on theridgetree and the other end that goes
up the main roof goes under two tiles.

Thanks for the feedback, Kipper ..

In keeping with the row of other ridges that I can see up there I plan
to put the lead over the top, I know its unsightly but it will be in
keeping.

I believe that the turning up is not necessary but that I do need to,
I assume, fold the end of the lead over the top of the second course
of tiles up the main roof? Is there any other fixing needed? I have
some lead mastic ... do I really need that?

Fitted the ridge tiles today ... looks sweet - although it took a lot
of swearing :-)

cheers

jON

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Oct 9, 4:39*pm, sadsjon wrote:
[...]

THe lead that goes under the tile up the main roof is just bent about
25mm or 1" over the top of the tile to act as a nib.