Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Non-setting mastic for roof ridge tile pointing

'Non-setting mastic' is sometimes recommended for pointing ridge tiles as an
alternative to sand/cement, to allow for slight movement.. However, I don't
know where to find it - the only non-setting mastic I can find is Plumbers'
Mate - obviously unsuitable!

There are plenty of low modulus building mastics but they are not
'non-setting'. Can anyone suggest where I can get a suitable non-setting
mastic?

Thanks

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Steve wrote:
'Non-setting mastic' is sometimes recommended for pointing ridge tiles as an
alternative to sand/cement, to allow for slight movement.. However, I don't
know where to find it - the only non-setting mastic I can find is Plumbers'
Mate - obviously unsuitable!

There are plenty of low modulus building mastics but they are not
'non-setting'. Can anyone suggest where I can get a suitable non-setting
mastic?

Thanks

Butyl glazing compound? UV resistance might be an issue though.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Stuart Noble" wrote in message
om...
Steve wrote:
'Non-setting mastic' is sometimes recommended for pointing ridge tiles as
an alternative to sand/cement, to allow for slight movement.. However, I
don't know where to find it - the only non-setting mastic I can find is
Plumbers' Mate - obviously unsuitable!

There are plenty of low modulus building mastics but they are not
'non-setting'. Can anyone suggest where I can get a suitable non-setting
mastic?

Thanks

Butyl glazing compound? UV resistance might be an issue though.

Thanks. Might be OK, but seems designed for glass/metal/wood. Surfaces need
priming -
http://www.everbuild.co.uk/images/pd...20compound.DOC.

Ideally need something that bonds well to tiles/mortar.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Steve wrote:
'Non-setting mastic' is sometimes recommended for pointing ridge
tiles as an alternative to sand/cement, to allow for slight
movement.. However, I don't know where to find it - the only
non-setting mastic I can find is Plumbers' Mate - obviously
unsuitable!
There are plenty of low modulus building mastics but they are not
'non-setting'. Can anyone suggest where I can get a suitable
non-setting mastic?

Thanks

Steve,

Firstly, as mastic is a sealant and not an adhesive, I wouldn't advise
using it instead of cement for ridge tiles, especially in high-wind areas -
would you use the stuff by itself to fix a door or window frame (wood or
plastic)?

Secondly, whilst "low modulus building mastic" actually sets, if the
thickness of the applied mastic is correct, then there will be sufficient
'flexibility in the bead to maintain the weatherproof seal under all
conditions - and you will only get problems if you use very thin beads of
mastic.

As for your original question, if the ridge tiles are properly packed and
fixed with the correct sand/cement/water ratio, then the tiles will still be
there even after very high winds.

Cash

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Cash" wrote in message
Steve wrote:
[...]

Thanks Cash. The tiles are held securely by cement and the mastic is only
intended for the edges. I'll probably go with a low modulus mastic.

Steve

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, September 18, 2009 4:43:55 PM UTC-4, Cash wrote:
Steve wrote:
[...]

Just cams across this. You have to watch out for the acidity of the product. I think that in the old days they would use a coal-tar based product so it may not be an issue nowadays but take a look at non-setting mastic damage and especially how it eats copper roof flashings (about halfway down the page: view-source:http://www.fourseasonsroofingandsidi...eplacement.htm
Posted to uk.d-i-y

scribbled...

On Friday, September 18, 2009 4:43:55 PM UTC-4, Cash wrote:

The Usenet WayBack Machine strikes again

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ting.com,
Artic writes
scribbled...

On Friday, September 18, 2009 4:43:55 PM UTC-4, Cash wrote:

The Usenet WayBack Machine strikes again

And if it's not a spamming **** (again) I'll eat my shorts!

checks, yes edibles in use . . .
--
fred
it's a ba-na-na . . . .
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, September 18, 2009 4:13:47 PM UTC+1, Steve wrote:
'Non-setting mastic' is sometimes recommended for pointing ridge tiles as an alternative to sand/cement, to allow for slight movement.. However, I don't know where to find it - the only non-setting mastic I can find is Plumbers' Mate - obviously unsuitable!There are plenty of low modulus building mastics but they are not 'non-setting'. Can anyone suggest where I can get a suitable non-setting mastic?Thanks

It comes in a plastic bag and it looks like a mass of small white polystyrene balls the size of pin heads mixed with some form of pink adhesive, texture is like putty density or similar to plasterseen. It never took on to expensive and not very practical.
Never seen it use and when asked at the merchants if they had sold any they just laughed.