Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default What mix for pointing ridge tiles?

Whilst we've got scaffolding up - see other post - I'd like to repoint
the ridge tiles as the mix used previously has disappeared, as it has
from the roof verges.

What mix should I use?

Thanks

Steve

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On May 14, 4:36 pm, Steve Bilton wrote:
Whilst we've got scaffolding up - see other post - I'd like to repoint
the ridge tiles as the mix used previously has disappeared, as it has
from the roof verges.

What mix should I use?

6:1 is adequate but use of a stronger mix for the hostile environment
would be an idea. It will dry rather quickly this time of year I
imagine unless it is raining as you do it. So 4:1 and some mortar
plasticiser (eg: Feb.)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Steve Bilton" wrote in message
oups.com...
Whilst we've got scaffolding up - see other post - I'd like to repoint
the ridge tiles as the mix used previously has disappeared, as it has
from the roof verges.

What mix should I use?

Thanks

Steve

2 Sand plus 1 cement, mix on the stiff side but pliable and fatty. It should
hold on the trowel when turned up side down. If you want you can add in
watered down PVA .

Posted to uk.d-i-y

keith_765 wrote:
"Steve Bilton" wrote in message
oups.com...
Whilst we've got scaffolding up - see other post - I'd like to repoint
the ridge tiles as the mix used previously has disappeared, as it has
from the roof verges.

What mix should I use?

Thanks

Steve

2 Sand plus 1 cement, mix on the stiff side but pliable and fatty. It should
hold on the trowel when turned up side down. If you want you can add in
watered down PVA .

I'd use 1 pva:4 water to mix a "general purpose" mortar. B&Q do one and
I've found it a lot better than mixing your own sand and cement. Seems
to have a good balance of particle sizes or something.
You're only up there once so worth taking a bit of extra trouble. I've
watched the repair mortar put up by my roofer slowly disintegrate for
the sake of a quid's worth of pva.