Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Rough idea how much to re-point ridge tiles ?

hi all, passing roofer (was doing a job down the road) collared me as
I was driving to work today, and pointed out the cement which holds
the topmost tiles which go over the point of the roof (IIRC he said
"ridge tiles") was breaking away. As soon as he showed me, I could see
he wasn't having me on. There are strips of cement that have fallen
down the roof.

What's the implications - long term of this. Does it need fixing now,
this month, before next winter ?

What surprised me was when I asked him how much he'd want to do the
job, he said 80ukp, which struck me as very low - to remove and
replace the cement ...

Anyway I was late for work, so I didn't get a chance to grill him, but
wondered what the groups opinon is. I've got an "L"-shaped bungalow,
and the two lines of tiles are about 20metres in total.

On the basis that I don't have a head for heights, looks like I'll
have to get someone to do it.

I'm in the midlands btw

thanks in advance

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jethro wrote:
hi all, passing roofer (was doing a job down the road) collared me as
I was driving to work today, and pointed out the cement which holds
the topmost tiles which go over the point of the roof (IIRC he said
"ridge tiles") was breaking away. As soon as he showed me, I could see
he wasn't having me on. There are strips of cement that have fallen
down the roof.

What's the implications - long term of this. Does it need fixing now,
this month, before next winter ?

What surprised me was when I asked him how much he'd want to do the
job, he said 80ukp, which struck me as very low - to remove and
replace the cement ...

Ha, Thats a days wages 'cash in hand' to knock up some mortar shove a
ladder up and do teh job and scamper down..and spend the rest of the day
in the pub having seceral pints before going home to beat up/have boozy
sex with the missus.

Manna from heaven for your roofer.

OTOH getting someone in to quote, may end up costing you more. Its less
the job than the quotation process..

I'd take him up on it..its not urgent unless you get a tornado..but it
should be done.

Anyway I was late for work, so I didn't get a chance to grill him, but
wondered what the groups opinon is. I've got an "L"-shaped bungalow,
and the two lines of tiles are about 20metres in total.

On the basis that I don't have a head for heights, looks like I'll
have to get someone to do it.

I'm in the midlands btw

thanks in advance

Posted to uk.d-i-y
DIY DIY is offline

"Jethro" wrote:
[...]

It's not urgent unless the roof starts to leak or the tiles start slipping
down. 80 notes is a bargain, especially if he does a good job and uses a
strong mortar mix.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2 Apr, 13:05, "DIY" secret wrote:
"Jethro" wrote:
[...]

He did say he thought the mortar was too sandy from looking at it
(what do I know) ...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
DIY secret wrote:
It's not urgent unless the roof starts to leak or the tiles start
slipping down. 80 notes is a bargain, especially if he does a good job
and uses a strong mortar mix.

IMHO that's the last thing in the world you want as there will inevitably
be movement between ridge tile and roof. A decent mastic or even perhaps a
lime mortar will be better.

--
*Great groups from little icons grow *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2 Apr, 13:39, "Dave Plowman (News)" wrote:
In article ,
DIY secret wrote:

It's not urgent unless the roof starts to leak or the tiles start
slipping down. 80 notes is a bargain, especially if he does a good job
and uses a strong mortar mix.

IMHO that's the last thing in the world you want as there will inevitably
be movement between ridge tile and roof. A decent mastic or even perhaps a
lime mortar will be better.

Aha dissent !

Is there a mastic suitable ? I presume you'd need a ****-load to do
the while ridge ?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

DIY secret wrote:

It's not urgent unless the roof starts to leak or the tiles start
slipping down. 80 notes is a bargain, especially if he does a good job
and uses a strong mortar mix.

IMHO that's the last thing in the world you want as there will inevitably
be movement between ridge tile and roof. A decent mastic or even perhaps a
lime mortar will be better.

Aha dissent !

Is there a mastic suitable ? I presume you'd need a ****-load to do
the while ridge ?

20% pva in the mortar should prevent cracking.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2 Apr 2007 03:55:32 -0700, "Jethro" wrote:

hi all, passing roofer (was doing a job down the road) collared me as
I was driving to work today, and pointed out the cement which holds
the topmost tiles which go over the point of the roof (IIRC he said
"ridge tiles") was breaking away. As soon as he showed me, I could see
he wasn't having me on. There are strips of cement that have fallen
down the roof.

What's the implications - long term of this. Does it need fixing now,
this month, before next winter ?

The next high wind could blow bits / whole ridge tiles off. They might
do some damage at ground level, you know about it now so you would be
liable for damage caused because it would be negligence.You'd also
then have all the fun and enjoyment of finding a (preferably)
identical replacement. It might be easy, it might not.

I think they need to be re-bedded in not just pointed up, which is
likely what he'll do if you're not there supervising.

I recall that when I had a couple of cowboys who knocked on the door
do the job in 2 hours I got more trouble within 3 years or so. When a
proper builder (who had built extensions for us) did it, it's still ok
after 15 years.

What surprised me was when I asked him how much he'd want to do the
job, he said 80ukp, which struck me as very low - to remove and
replace the cement ...

Does he have all the proper insurance coverage, and use the correct
safety equipment? What if he drops his club hammer off the roof and it
does some damage at ground level ?

HTH

DG

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Jethro" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

One thing to watch out for is that he doesn't just 'butter' the joint by
spreading a thin layer over the existing mortar, which is a trick some
'roofers' do. My neighbour got caught out like this by a roofer who was
working "in the next street and I can see...." Another thing he did was
paint a thick slurry on the tile edges instead of knocking out and doing it
properly. The job looked great until the next winter then all the butter
fell off and the slurry got washed away!

HTH

John