Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default How to remove ridge tiles?

Hi,

Can anyone advise a good way to remove ridge tiles?

Many of the ones on my (50 year old?) garage roof are badly damaged, so I
thought I'd replace them all. The first 2 came off easily by gently
hammering a chisel under them and prising. (The tile easily separated from
the sand/cement bed and the bed then prised away fairly easily.)

The 3rd one won't budge. I don't want to use excessive force to avoid
breaking the thin (4mm?) plain clay tiles.

Cheers,

Steve

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Steve" wrote:
Hi,

Can anyone advise a good way to remove ridge tiles?

Many of the ones on my (50 year old?) garage roof are badly damaged, so I
thought I'd replace them all. The first 2 came off easily by gently
hammering a chisel under them and prising. (The tile easily separated
from the sand/cement bed and the bed then prised away fairly easily.)

The 3rd one won't budge. I don't want to use excessive force to avoid
breaking the thin (4mm?) plain clay tiles.

Cheers,

Steve

I think you have 2 options, either to only remove the lose tiles, leaving
the firmly fixed ones in place, then fix the lose ones back in place, or
remove the lot and accept that some will be broken in the process.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Phil Anthropist" wrote in message
"Steve" wrote:
Hi,

Can anyone advise a good way to remove ridge tiles?

Many of the ones on my (50 year old?) garage roof are badly damaged, so I
thought I'd replace them all. The first 2 came off easily by gently
hammering a chisel under them and prising. (The tile easily separated
from the sand/cement bed and the bed then prised away fairly easily.)

The 3rd one won't budge. I don't want to use excessive force to avoid
breaking the thin (4mm?) plain clay tiles.

Cheers,

Steve

I think you have 2 options, either to only remove the lose tiles, leaving
the firmly fixed ones in place, then fix the lose ones back in place, or
remove the lot and accept that some will be broken in the process.

I guess I'm going to have to remove the lot. They look a mess (I beleive
it's 'spalling'). I might try an SDS drill + chisel on hammer action.
Cheers.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Steve wrote:

I guess I'm going to have to remove the lot. They look a mess (I beleive
it's 'spalling'). I might try an SDS drill + chisel on hammer action.
Cheers.

If you do that probably you will end up with broken tiles not just the
top layer and you may not have replacements.

hammer drilling will only make a bigger mess.
If they dont lift off with a bit of careful leverage with a screwdriver
you would be better to take the advice and just replace the loose ones.
can end up a very big job for very little improvement and you will
wonder why you bothered. maybe even a new roof.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Steve" wrote:
[...]

Try brick acid on the mortar.