Junior Member

Question remove tiles

I've got the great job of removing old kitchen tiles from the wall. I've done a few using a wallpaper scaper and hammer and it's not too bad. Any better methods?

Also I wanted to paint the wall instead now. How's the best method of getting the grout off the wall without doing any more damage than necessary? The rest of the kitchen walls have paint straight onto the plasterboard!
doozer

finney wrote:
I've got the great job of removing old kitchen tiles from the wall.
I've done a few using a wallpaper scaper and hammer and it's not too
bad. Any better methods?

Also I wanted to paint the wall instead now. How's the best method of
getting the grout off the wall without doing any more damage than
necessary? The rest of the kitchen walls have paint straight onto the
plasterboard!

You have a massive job on your hands if you want to paint the walls after.

Getting the last grout of the walls is going to be Hard work (yes the
capital was intentional). You might try using a wall paper steamer. It
will probably soften the grout (assuming it's not water proof grout) but
it's likely to damage the plaster as well. A skim of plaster might be
the best way. It will certainly be the quickest.

As for removing the tiles quickly (and probably with the minimum of
damage) I would use a bolster chisel and lump hammer. I wouldn't have
though a wallpaper scraper would be up to the job. However you do it
your walls are going to suffer.
Lobster

finney wrote:
I've got the great job of removing old kitchen tiles from the wall.
I've done a few using a wallpaper scaper and hammer and it's not too
bad. Any better methods?

Eew. Bolster chisel and hammer? :-)
David

Granite Tiles Help Needed Richard UK diy 0 October 28th 04 11:03 PM
Wall tiles Martin UK diy 2 July 18th 04 12:20 PM
Source of old thermoplastic tiles in West Midlands Moonshine UK diy 5 July 11th 04 05:14 PM
Walls and Tiles - seek advice . Natalia Home Repair 1 June 8th 04 01:40 PM
When laying floor tiles, what size will give the best illusion of space? Jon Weaver UK diy 2 August 13th 03 12:05 AM