Moonshine

Default Source of old thermoplastic tiles in West Midlands

I'm about to lay some new floor tiles in the Kitchen. We've (got her
in doors to do this) removed one layer of vinyl tiles, leaving an
original layer of thermoplastic tiles in most places. There are a few
areas where there aren't currently any tiles where I do want to tile.
Me thinks, the easiest/cleanest method for me to build up these areas
would be to put down the same type of thermoplastic tiles.

Hence the question does anyone know where I could get a few old
thermoplastic tiles in the West Midlands (near Solihull preferably)

Thanks

Cliff
Toby

Moonshine wrote:
I'm about to lay some new floor tiles in the Kitchen. We've (got her
in doors to do this) removed one layer of vinyl tiles, leaving an
original layer of thermoplastic tiles in most places. There are a few
areas where there aren't currently any tiles where I do want to tile.

If these tiles are only 3mm thick or so then the adhesive will take up the
difference, but it's not the ~best~ way to do it.
Go berserk with one of these to remove the things.
http://www.toolstation.com/messages....4458&mainWin=1
http://www.toolstation.com/messages....5072&mainWin=1

(Jeez, how difficult do they have to make it in order to paste a link to
their
products?)

--
Toby.

Moonshine

On Sat, 10 Jul 2004 13:30:45 +0100, "Toby"
wrote:

Moonshine wrote:
I'm about to lay some new floor tiles in the Kitchen. We've (got her
in doors to do this) removed one layer of vinyl tiles, leaving an
original layer of thermoplastic tiles in most places. There are a few
areas where there aren't currently any tiles where I do want to tile.

If these tiles are only 3mm thick or so then the adhesive will take up the
difference, but it's not the ~best~ way to do it.
Go berserk with one of these to remove the things.
http://www.toolstation.com/messages....4458&mainWin=1
http://www.toolstation.com/messages....5072&mainWin=1

(Jeez, how difficult do they have to make it in order to paste a link to
their
products?)

Hi Thanks, unfortunately the tiles I'm putting down are the cheapo
self adhesive type (seems pretty much all you can get easily now).
These are critical in terms of levelness of the sub floor.

My experience with them is they produce a nice quick good quality
floor so long as what they are going down on is sound and level and
free from any bobbly bits. Any thing else and you have problems
Moonshine

On Sat, 10 Jul 2004 21:38:13 GMT, "Scott Mills"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

Moonshine wrote:
I'm about to lay some new floor tiles in the Kitchen. We've (got her
in doors to do this) removed one layer of vinyl tiles, leaving an
original layer of thermoplastic tiles in most places. There are a few
areas where there aren't currently any tiles where I do want to tile.

Why not make it up with screed?

I was hoping not to to save mess and get a finished surface quicker,
but, you are right I think this is what I'll do.

Very much a novice at this game and I try and avoid anything that
involves mixing and spreading :-)

Scott Mills

"Moonshine" wrote in message
On Sat, 10 Jul 2004 21:38:13 GMT, "Scott Mills"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

Why not make it up with screed?

I was hoping not to to save mess and get a finished surface quicker,
but, you are right I think this is what I'll do.

Very much a novice at this game and I try and avoid anything that
involves mixing and spreading :-)

Actually screed is pretty painless - it is very fine but when mixed has the
consistancy of cream and you just pour it in, it levels off itself and
you're done. It does take 24+ hours to dry though

Scott

Plasterboard Over Tiles Nibs UK diy 7 November 10th 03 09:23 PM
When laying floor tiles, what size will give the best illusion of space? Jon Weaver UK diy 2 August 13th 03 12:05 AM
Can anyone recommend Double Glazing firms in Worcester or West Midlands Steve UK diy 3 July 30th 03 08:40 PM
Best way to source replacement damaged tiles? tony sayer UK diy 1 July 3rd 03 09:30 PM