Posted to uk.d-i-y
sadsjon sadsjon is offline

Default Ridge Tile on Kent Peg roof

On Oct 6, 1:02*pm, (Andrew Gabriel) wrote:
In article ,
* * * * sadsjon writes:

I have had my chimney pots lined recently and needed scaffolding to be
installed. Looking around up there I was horrified to find that the
gable roof where it meets the main roof the ridge tile was shattered
into pieces and the felt all exposed. Furthermore, the lead "saddle"
had been fitted underneath the ridge tile rather than over the top
which is totally out of keeping with the other roofs and just doesn't
make sense!

I had the leadwork redone around a chimney, and the guy (who seemed
to know what he's doing, and has done a very nice job) also lifted
off the end ridge tile to put the flashing underneath, so I presume
it's not incorrect. There are two layers of lead at that point.

--
Andrew Gabriel

Thats an interesting thought Andrew however, this was very definately
just one layer of lead under the ridge tile and none over the ridge
tile. All the other houses in our row had the last ridge tile leaded
over.

Either the rest of the lead fell off the roof (that would smart - an
18" square of lead would be quite heavy on your head) or it was never
in place. I reckon it was missing and was bodged - it would be in
keeping with other bodges I have discovered.

But I would dearly love someone to tell me, quite simply, do I ridge
tile up to the batons or up to the main roof slope (kent peg tiles).

This is the only query I have, everything else is sorted and whilst
last weekend was silly hot, this weekend will be wet and windy and I
really want to sort it out before the rest of my roof blows away :-)

anyone have any thoughts on this?

cheers all,

jON