Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default how do I remove a B16 tapered chuck from its mandrel?

hello

My Nu-tool (ex B&Q) drill press has a B16 spindle which fits into a
matching B16 socket in its 1/2" chuck (chuck is labelled "B16"). I
remember following the original chuck fitting instructions, 15+ years
ago, which said to push the drill press spindle down into the rear of
the chuck.

I now want to upgrade to a keyless chuck but I am unable to remove the
original chuck because:

1 - there is no cross-slot through the tapered spindle with which to use
a drift

2 - wedges will merely force the spindle (and attached chuck) downwards
and I can't lock the spindle. There is no "shoulder" on the spindle
against which wedges could work, only the body of the drill press where
the lower bearing is seated (and through which the spindle is driven).

I have tried a rubber mallet against the chuck sides - no luck.

I have tried heating the chuck with a hot air gun and using the
mallet - no luck.

I can't see how to disassemble the entire drill press to get the spindle
+ chuck isolated, so I wondered if anyone could please suggest a trick
or two which might free the chuck in situ?

Thanks again for any guidance or ideas to experiment with

DDS