Posted to uk.d-i-y
Bob Minchin[_4_] Bob Minchin[_4_] is offline

Default how do I remove a B16 tapered chuck from its mandrel?

Make a tubular bush that will fit in the chuck and the bore equal to a
tapping drill for a convenient bolt. (5mm for M6 or 6.75 for M8 etc)
Fit the bush in the chuck and drill up through the back of the chuck.
there will be a small distance after you break through before the drill
touches the bottom of the spindle.
Tap a thread in the chuck and use a bolt to press on the end of the
spindle. Apply a reasonable pressure with the bolt and the chuck might
come off or combine with sideways rubber mallet blows to release it.

Duncan DiSaudelli wrote:
hello

My Nu-tool (ex B&Q) drill press has a B16 spindle which fits into a
matching B16 socket in its 1/2" chuck (chuck is labelled "B16"). I
remember following the original chuck fitting instructions, 15+ years
ago, which said to push the drill press spindle down into the rear of
the chuck.

I now want to upgrade to a keyless chuck but I am unable to remove the
original chuck because:

1 - there is no cross-slot through the tapered spindle with which to use
a drift

2 - wedges will merely force the spindle (and attached chuck) downwards
and I can't lock the spindle. There is no "shoulder" on the spindle
against which wedges could work, only the body of the drill press where
the lower bearing is seated (and through which the spindle is driven).

I have tried a rubber mallet against the chuck sides - no luck.

I have tried heating the chuck with a hot air gun and using the
mallet - no luck.

I can't see how to disassemble the entire drill press to get the spindle
+ chuck isolated, so I wondered if anyone could please suggest a trick
or two which might free the chuck in situ?

Thanks again for any guidance or ideas to experiment with

DDS