Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Idle thoughts about close coupled toilets

Away on holiday I noticed a very fancy close coupled toilet where the seat
had shifted out of line but I couldn't see any way to get access to the
fixings. Porcelain everywhere.

Back home I looked at our less fancy close coupled toilets and again I
couldn't see an easy way to access the seat fixings. I could almost get my
hand in there but there was pipework in the way.

So do you have to remove the cistern to be able to remove or adjust the
seat?

Cheers

Dave R

---

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21/01/2017 15:18, David wrote:
Away on holiday I noticed a very fancy close coupled toilet where the seat
had shifted out of line but I couldn't see any way to get access to the
fixings. Porcelain everywhere.

Back home I looked at our less fancy close coupled toilets and again I
couldn't see an easy way to access the seat fixings. I could almost get my
hand in there but there was pipework in the way.

So do you have to remove the cistern to be able to remove or adjust the
seat?

Cheers

Dave R

No, with many/most/all you just have to remove the seat.

Many work with fixings that just insert down the fixing hole and are
tightened from above

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qbl9NRDq5a4

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon....L._SX450_.jpg#

There are variations on the theme and if you want to replace the fixing
you just let part of the old fixing fall into the void in the Porcelain
and buy a new fixing.

I found that on my toilet the fixings provided by the manufacturer
couldn't be tightened enough to prevent the seat moving over time. A
different form of blind hole fixing solved the problem. With the
expanding type it helps if the diameter of the unexpanded fixing is a
good fit in the hole before you start.

Idle thoughts: Red rag to blue rag to red rag HeyBub[_3_] Woodworking 28 February 24th 12 05:02 PM
Close coupled WC elbow NoSpam UK diy 9 June 14th 10 10:32 PM
Help with close-coupled WC Guy Snape UK diy 5 August 10th 06 02:08 PM
Close coupled WC with S-type pan? John Stumbles UK diy 1 April 24th 04 11:44 AM
Idle thoughts re generators Neil Jones UK diy 143 April 14th 04 02:31 PM