Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default 4-pole 3.5mm jack

I want to use a 4-pole 3.5mm jack as if it were a mic-and-headset combo
in order to hardware-disconnect the microphone in a laptop computer when
it's not required.

So: when you plug in an ordinary mic-and-headset combo, is it detected
by hardware or software?

And when you mute the mic with the little mute button in the cord, does
it make the mic open circuit or short circuit?

Sorry there's no mention of Brexit in my question: I'll try and do
better next time!

Thanks,

Nick
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19/01/2017 17:27, Nick Odell wrote:
I want to use a 4-pole 3.5mm jack as if it were a mic-and-headset combo
in order to hardware-disconnect the microphone in a laptop computer when
it's not required.

JOOI, why a hardware solution instead of disabling the microphone in
Device Manager?

--
Robin
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Lee Lee is offline

On 19/01/2017 17:45, Robin wrote:
On 19/01/2017 17:27, Nick Odell wrote:
I want to use a 4-pole 3.5mm jack as if it were a mic-and-headset combo
in order to hardware-disconnect the microphone in a laptop computer when
it's not required.

JOOI, why a hardware solution instead of disabling the microphone in
Device Manager?

Maybe the OP doesn't trust the OS to do so?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 1/19/2017 5:45 PM, Robin wrote:
On 19/01/2017 17:27, Nick Odell wrote:
I want to use a 4-pole 3.5mm jack as if it were a mic-and-headset combo
in order to hardware-disconnect the microphone in a laptop computer when
it's not required.

JOOI, why a hardware solution instead of disabling the microphone in
Device Manager?

Because a software solution can be easily undisabled, deliberately or
accidentally. And because you'd be scrambling for Device Manager or its
equivalent every time you wanted to use/stop using the mic while a jack
can be pulled out and pushed back in a moment.

Nick

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19/01/2017 18:00, Nick Odell wrote:
On 1/19/2017 5:45 PM, Robin wrote:
On 19/01/2017 17:27, Nick Odell wrote:
I want to use a 4-pole 3.5mm jack as if it were a mic-and-headset combo
in order to hardware-disconnect the microphone in a laptop computer when
it's not required.

JOOI, why a hardware solution instead of disabling the microphone in
Device Manager?

Because a software solution can be easily undisabled, deliberately or
accidentally. And because you'd be scrambling for Device Manager or its
equivalent every time you wanted to use/stop using the mic while a jack
can be pulled out and pushed back in a moment.

Fair enough, thanks.

--
Robin

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 19 January 2017 17:27:45 UTC, Nick Odell wrote:

I want to use a 4-pole 3.5mm jack as if it were a mic-and-headset combo
in order to hardware-disconnect the microphone in a laptop computer when
it's not required.

So: when you plug in an ordinary mic-and-headset combo, is it detected
by hardware or software?

soft, it's cheaper

And when you mute the mic with the little mute button in the cord, does
it make the mic open circuit or short circuit?

measure it and tell us. If it shorts and you're paranoid, switch resistance can go high over time, and can be unreliable to begin with.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Jim Jim is offline

Nick Odell Wrote in message:
On 1/19/2017 5:45 PM, Robin wrote:
On 19/01/2017 17:27, Nick Odell wrote:
I want to use a 4-pole 3.5mm jack as if it were a mic-and-headset combo
in order to hardware-disconnect the microphone in a laptop computer when
it's not required.

JOOI, why a hardware solution instead of disabling the microphone in
Device Manager?

Because a software solution can be easily undisabled, deliberately or
accidentally. And because you'd be scrambling for Device Manager or its
equivalent every time you wanted to use/stop using the mic while a jack
can be pulled out and pushed back in a moment.

Nick

Just put your hand over it?

--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

So anyone can use the device to configure it instead of faffing about
with control panel applets I'd suspect.

I do not know how they are wired. Creative seem to use these a lot on their
usb sound card boxes. Certainly the hardware ie plugged in or not is
detected by a switch on the connector, but I don't think its inteligent
enough to know much more about it otherwise when a microphone or earphone
went intermittent the state would change and it does not.
Brian

--
----- -
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please!
"Robin" wrote in message
On 19/01/2017 17:27, Nick Odell wrote:
I want to use a 4-pole 3.5mm jack as if it were a mic-and-headset combo
in order to hardware-disconnect the microphone in a laptop computer when
it's not required.

JOOI, why a hardware solution instead of disabling the microphone in
Device Manager?

--
Robin

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 19 Jan 2017 17:27:14 +0000, Nick Odell wrote:

I want to use a 4-pole 3.5mm jack as if it were a mic-and-headset combo
in order to hardware-disconnect the microphone in a laptop computer when
it's not required.

So: when you plug in an ordinary mic-and-headset combo, is it detected
by hardware or software?

And when you mute the mic with the little mute button in the cord, does
it make the mic open circuit or short circuit?

Sorry there's no mention of Brexit in my question: I'll try and do
better next time!

Thanks,

Nick

Probably hardware, using a contact operated by the jack when it's plugged
in.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22/01/2017 00:15, Nick Odell wrote:

snip

Well, it shorts. And guess what? Even though the Device Manager
recognises the headset and switches default to the external mic, it
doesn't switch off the internal one.

May explain why the only (external) hardware solution I've seen was Blu
Tack over the mic. I was told that there was also a v small bit of foil
under the Blu Tack to stop it going down the hole but that may just have
been a bit of self-parody

--
Robin

Adding a phone jack ..Jack.. [email protected] Home Repair 10 June 22nd 08 08:14 PM
How to run outdoor electrical lines from pole to pole - What's required [email protected] Home Repair 4 May 1st 07 05:00 AM
4 pole to 3 pole Extension Cord. [email protected] Home Repair 14 January 5th 07 07:16 PM
Single pole or double pole? F UK diy 3 June 27th 06 11:42 PM
AC shaded pole single phase induction pole motor [email protected] Electronics Repair 13 April 29th 05 03:37 AM