Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Calling car camera users

On Monday, 9 January 2017 18:02:55 UTC, Judith wrote:
On Mon, 9 Jan 2017 16:53:31 +0000, MrCheerful wrote:

On 09/01/2017 16:36, Judith wrote:
On Sun, 8 Jan 2017 02:29:23 -0800 (PST), Simon Mason
wrote:

On Sunday, 8 January 2017 10:03:32 UTC, Bertie Doe wrote:
Looking at those cheapo car cameras on Ebay :-

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3718320520...ht_5758wt_1124

Quality wise, you gets what you pays for, looking at the spec for the first
on list, I see it has continuous loop recording.

I have a spare 16 GB TF card, anyone care to guess how many minutes before
it starts to overwrite ? TIA

THIS HAS TWO 256GB CARDS WHICH LAST FOR 10 DAYS.

http://amzn.to/2j51dox

Crikey - 300 quid. You must be very well off.

I am surprised that your new car does not have a built in sat nav. You could
then have spent just a hundred quid on a proper decent camera.

Love one of the comments in a review: "If you have a smartphone already then
its worth trying Waze before spending a big sum of money on the Nuvicam. "

However, a fool and his money ............

Do the DVLA let suicidal, loonie, drunken, psychotic druggies keep their
driving Licence?

I think if they are made aware of such a person they contact their GP to ask
his opinion.

I think it's up tp the person themseleves to inform the DVLA.
My brother had an epileptic fit in the mid 80s . This year he tripped hit his head and 10mins later found himself sittign in the living room on the sofa.
he remebers tripping, putting out his hands and falling on the paving slabs and that's it.

Went for a hospital check up and they told him in their view it's very unlucky they are linked but teh previous doctor he saw thought there could be links so he was told to contact the DVLA and tell them the situation otherwise his insurance might not be valid if he made a claim.
So he has a MIR scan at the end of this month on a sunday ! just to check.
He had a CAT scan which showed notbhing unusual last month.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
NY NY is offline

"whisky-dave" wrote in message

I think it's up tp the person themseleves to inform the DVLA.
My brother had an epileptic fit in the mid 80s . This year he tripped hit
his head and 10mins later found himself sittign in the living room on the
sofa.
he remebers tripping, putting out his hands and falling on the paving
slabs and that's it.

Went for a hospital check up and they told him in their view it's very
unlucky they are linked but teh previous doctor he saw thought there could
be links so he was told to contact the DVLA and tell them the situation
otherwise his insurance might not be valid if he made a claim.
So he has a MIR scan at the end of this month on a sunday ! just to check.
He had a CAT scan which showed notbhing unusual last month.

Let's hope it turns out to be a couple of one-offs (separated by several
decades) and not the start of anything. Clear CAT and (hopefully) MIR will
go a long way to convincing insurance and DVLA that it's nothing unusual.

Sometimes doctors do inform DVLA. Five years ago I had a heart attack and
cardiac arrest - no pulse for a couple of hours and it's only thanks to my
wife and the ambulance crew doing CPR to keep some sort of circulation going
that I'm still here :-(

When I came round after a week in intensive care being kept in an induced
coma I learned how lucky I'd been. When I was discharged, I was warned that
DVLA would need to know because of the potential for brain damage after
cardiac arrest - and a letter from them was waiting for me, which can only
have been triggered by the consultant rather than relatives.

Luckily I was eventually cleared to drive - it took a long time for the
consultant to see me as an out-patient, and he cleared me immediately and
DVLA were very quick in sending the "no longer a problem" letter. It was a
fantastic feeling to go for a quick drive round the block when I got the
"all clear" letter.

The only effect was a bit of short-term memory loss in early days about
events that had happened in the months before the incident - eg I knew we'd
been on holiday but it frustrated me that I couldn't remember where; when my
wife dropped a few subtle hints, all my memory of the holiday returned at
once, rather than in drib and drabs: memory is weird.

My wife says I drive a bit more cautiously - in her opinion, *over*
cautiously as regards the space I leave from the car in front in heavy
traffic that is doing 70 at one minute and 40 the next, but I prefer to have
enough gap that I can slow down fairly gradually rather than trying to mimic
every slow-down and acceleration of the car in front. And I drive
differently when I'm on my own, when I haven't got her complaining about
going over speed bumps too quickly or accelerating hard to pull out from a
junction in situations where when she's in the car I will wait for a bigger
gap so as not to accelerate too hard.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 10 January 2017 09:53:00 UTC, Judith wrote:

"Particular danger would be posed by those who may attempt suicide at the
wheel."

Or under the wheel of a 44T truck.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Tim Streater" wrote in message
.. .

Not so in Germany though. I go to Stuttgart for a day and see three
accidents. One is right in front of me. Woman gets into her parked car,
does a U-turn in a widish road, goes straight into someone who's just
passing.

Did you catch it on dash-cam ?

Posted to uk.d-i-y
NY NY is offline

"Tim Streater" wrote in message
.. .
In article , NY
wrote:

My wife says I drive a bit more cautiously - in her opinion, *over*
cautiously as regards the space I leave from the car in front in heavy
traffic that is doing 70 at one minute and 40 the next, but I prefer to
have enough gap that I can slow down fairly gradually rather than trying
to mimic every slow-down and acceleration of the car in front.

I don't call that overly-cautious, I call it sensible driving. I see
too many ****s going along at 80 in the outside lane with just the one
car length between them and the one in front.

No, I don't call it "over-cautious" either :-) But she says "I can't just
distances as well as I used to" and "if you leave a long gap, someone will
pull out into it". I try to leave about 2 seconds gap - longer if the
traffic has been yo-yoing in speed (70 one minute, 40 the next, ad
infinitum) because I can't predict when the car in front of me is next going
to brake hard - often for no apparent reason because the car in front of him
is still going fast. She drives a bit more like I do when I'm on my own, but
not when I'm with her as a passenger who expects me to be able to steer
around every pothole and to slow to a crawl at every speed hump, and not to
brake hard.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Bertie Doe" wrote in message ...

Looking at those cheapo car cameras on Ebay :-

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3718320520...ht_5758wt_1124

Quality wise, you gets what you pays for, looking at the spec for the first
on list, I see it has continuous loop recording.

I have a spare 16 GB TF card, anyone care to guess how many minutes before
it starts to overwrite ? TIA

Just an update, a friend of a neighbour recommended the XGODY car cam. At
£23 it's a tad more expensive than those above but he says it's worth it for
ease of use an it comes with a User Guide, written in almost perfick
Engrish.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_fr...cam&_sac at=0
or http://tinyurl.com/z5cmzyr

BTW the card it uses is The TF Flash Micro SD. He guesses he gets about 24
hours of motoring from a 16 GB card, before it overwrites.

One thing I forgot to ask. If you scroll down onto the (above) Installation
pics, it shows the route of the power cable down to cig lighter socket. Are
those fixing clips easy to come by? TIA.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Bertie Doe" wrote in message ...

One thing I forgot to ask. If you scroll down onto the (above) Installation
pics, it shows the route of the power cable down to cig lighter socket. Are
those fixing clips easy to come by? TIA.

BTW I'm not suggesting those directional arrows are support-clips :-)
However, it would be nice to tidy the power cable away nicely.

Calling Henry users newshound UK diy 5 May 26th 16 06:09 PM
calling all caul users Electric Comet Woodworking 44 December 7th 15 11:30 PM
Why did the professional camera reviewers totally miss a serious flaw in the camera? Jeanette Guire Electronics Repair 88 October 26th 07 02:26 AM
Why did the professional camera reviewers totally miss a serious flaw in the camera? Jeanette Guire Home Repair 84 October 25th 07 10:51 PM
is it possible to have pc cable (camera) trigger a disposable camera's flash circuit krem Electronics 1 July 16th 05 04:17 PM