DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Calling car camera users (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/584128-calling-car-camera-users.html)

Bertie Doe January 8th 17 10:03 AM

Calling car camera users

Looking at those cheapo car cameras on Ebay :-

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3718320520...ht_5758wt_1124

Quality wise, you gets what you pays for, looking at the spec for the first
on list, I see it has continuous loop recording.

I have a spare 16 GB TF card, anyone care to guess how many minutes before
it starts to overwrite ? TIA

Simon Mason January 8th 17 10:29 AM

Calling car camera users

On Sunday, 8 January 2017 10:03:32 UTC, Bertie Doe wrote:
Looking at those cheapo car cameras on Ebay :-

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3718320520...ht_5758wt_1124

Quality wise, you gets what you pays for, looking at the spec for the first
on list, I see it has continuous loop recording.

I have a spare 16 GB TF card, anyone care to guess how many minutes before
it starts to overwrite ? TIA

THIS HAS TWO 256GB CARDS WHICH LAST FOR 10 DAYS.

http://amzn.to/2j51dox

alan_m January 8th 17 10:51 AM

Calling car camera users

On 08/01/2017 10:29, Simon Mason wrote:
On Sunday, 8 January 2017 10:03:32 UTC, Bertie Doe wrote:
Looking at those cheapo car cameras on Ebay :-

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3718320520...ht_5758wt_1124

Quality wise, you gets what you pays for, looking at the spec for the first
on list, I see it has continuous loop recording.

I have a spare 16 GB TF card, anyone care to guess how many minutes before
it starts to overwrite ? TIA

THIS HAS TWO 256GB CARDS WHICH LAST FOR 10 DAYS.

http://amzn.to/2j51dox

Card size maximum for dash cam = 64G. The other memory is probably
needed for the primary sat nav function to store the maps.

Possibly the best position for fitting a sat nav is NOT the idea
position for a dash cam.

tim... January 8th 17 11:48 AM

Calling car camera users

"Simon Mason" wrote in message
On Sunday, 8 January 2017 10:03:32 UTC, Bertie Doe wrote:
Looking at those cheapo car cameras on Ebay :-

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3718320520...ht_5758wt_1124

Quality wise, you gets what you pays for, looking at the spec for the
first
on list, I see it has continuous loop recording.

I have a spare 16 GB TF card, anyone care to guess how many minutes
before
it starts to overwrite ? TIA

THIS HAS TWO 256GB CARDS WHICH LAST FOR 10 DAYS.

http://amzn.to/2j51dox

It seems vanishingly unlikely that someone considering buying a 7.99 camera
is going to decide that perhaps they might buy a 300 pound one instead

tim

Harry Bloomfield[_3_] January 8th 17 12:06 PM

Calling car camera users

Bertie Doe formulated the question :
Looking at those cheapo car cameras on Ebay :-

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3718320520...ht_5758wt_1124

Quality wise, you gets what you pays for, looking at the spec for the first
on list, I see it has continuous loop recording.

I have a spare 16 GB TF card, anyone care to guess how many minutes before it
starts to overwrite ? TIA

It depends and might be variable anyway, but I would guess at three to
eight hours.

I would advise against that type of camera anyway, it will obstruct a
lot of your windscreen. I paid a bit more and got one which records
from front and rear cameras, which includes the option to mount flush
against the screen allowing it to be hidden behind the mirror out of
sight. Often an incident on the road, begins from behind you.

Vortex12 January 8th 17 12:29 PM

Calling car camera users

On 08/01/2017 10:03, Bertie Doe wrote:
Looking at those cheapo car cameras on Ebay :-

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3718320520...ht_5758wt_1124

Quality wise, you gets what you pays for, looking at the spec for the
first on list, I see it has continuous loop recording.

I have a spare 16 GB TF card, anyone care to guess how many minutes
before it starts to overwrite ? TIA

That will be absolute ****e. If you want it to do something useful, for
example resolve a numberplate I would spend a little more.

I have had a Transcent Drivepro 200 for a couple of years and I think
it's pretty good. £80 ish in Halfords; Argos and suchlike.

Small enough to hide behind the rear view mirror.

Bill[_18_] January 8th 17 12:50 PM

Calling car camera users

In message , Harry Bloomfield
writes
I would advise against that type of camera anyway, it will obstruct a
lot of your windscreen. I paid a bit more and got one which records
from front and rear cameras, which includes the option to mount flush
against the screen allowing it to be hidden behind the mirror out of
sight. Often an incident on the road, begins from behind you.

Like Harry, I'd guess 3 to 6 hours, depending on the setting. It's not
as large as many, but it's bigger than either of the ones I have mounted
behind the mirror in the cars.
The IR night vision will be useless because of reflections, and the real
question is how easy is it to get the card or whole camera out to see
the footage in a computer.

--
Bill

Graham.[_11_] January 8th 17 01:40 PM

Calling car camera users

On Sun, 8 Jan 2017 10:03:28 -0000, "Bertie Doe"
wrote:

Looking at those cheapo car cameras on Ebay :-

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3718320520...ht_5758wt_1124

Quality wise, you gets what you pays for, looking at the spec for the first
on list, I see it has continuous loop recording.

I have a spare 16 GB TF card, anyone care to guess how many minutes before
it starts to overwrite ? TIA

View resolution: 640*480/320*240 (30fps)
Photo resolution: 640*480

But, (wait for it), it's got a 1080p Full HD "lens*

Love it.

--

Graham.

%Profound_observation%

Adrian Caspersz January 8th 17 03:03 PM

Calling car camera users

On 08/01/17 10:03, Bertie Doe wrote:
Looking at those cheapo car cameras on Ebay :-

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3718320520...ht_5758wt_1124

Quality wise, you gets what you pays for, looking at the spec for the
first on list, I see it has continuous loop recording.

I have a spare 16 GB TF card, anyone care to guess how many minutes
before it starts to overwrite ? TIA

It's also on Amazon with the usual customer reviews, shills and
anti-shills. Someone reckons 9 to 10 hours with a 32GB card, though that
will depend on resolution settings.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/this-maybe-.../dp/B01BSXKZL6

--
Adrian C

Bertie Doe January 8th 17 03:05 PM

Calling car camera users

wrote:

Looking at those cheapo car cameras on Ebay :-

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3718320520...ht_5758wt_1124

View resolution: 640*480/320*240 (30fps)
Photo resolution: 640*480

But, (wait for it), it's got a 1080p Full HD "lens*

Love it.

I see from the spec that it has Motion Detection and G - Sensor.

At £8 it's probably worth having a go. If it's crap, could it be set up as a
stand alone security camera?

My garage is at far end of back garden and it would be handy to monitor the
back access lane. I don't have mains in the garage but I have got a couple
of 12v 85 Ah batteries.

How does the Motion Detector work? Can the camera be switched off? TIA.

--

Graham.

%Profound_observation%

Bertie Doe January 8th 17 03:08 PM

Calling car camera users

"Adrian Caspersz" wrote in message ...

On 08/01/17 10:03, Bertie Doe wrote:
I have a spare 16 GB TF card, anyone care to guess how many minutes
before it starts to overwrite ? TIA

It's also on Amazon with the usual customer reviews, shills and
anti-shills. Someone reckons 9 to 10 hours with a 32GB card, though that
will depend on resolution settings.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/this-maybe-.../dp/B01BSXKZL6

Thanks Adrian, that's plenty long enough.

--
Adrian C

Rod Speed January 8th 17 07:05 PM

Calling car camera users

Simon Mason wrote
Bertie Doe wrote

Looking at those cheapo car cameras on Ebay :-

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3718320520...ht_5758wt_1124

Quality wise, you gets what you pays for, looking at the spec
for the first on list, I see it has continuous loop recording.

I have a spare 16 GB TF card, anyone care to guess
how many minutes before it starts to overwrite ? TIA

THIS HAS TWO 256GB CARDS WHICH LAST FOR 10 DAYS.

http://amzn.to/2j51dox

But is just a tad more expensive.

Adrian Caspersz January 8th 17 07:30 PM

Calling car camera users

On 08/01/17 10:29, Simon Mason wrote:

THIS HAS TWO 256GB CARDS WHICH LAST FOR 10 DAYS.

http://amzn.to/2j51do

Nice trick, is that your Amazon referral token in that link?

--
Adrian C

NY January 8th 17 09:23 PM

Calling car camera users

"Harry Bloomfield" wrote in message
Bertie Doe formulated the question :
Looking at those cheapo car cameras on Ebay :-

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3718320520...ht_5758wt_1124

Quality wise, you gets what you pays for, looking at the spec for the
first on list, I see it has continuous loop recording.

I have a spare 16 GB TF card, anyone care to guess how many minutes
before it starts to overwrite ? TIA

It depends and might be variable anyway, but I would guess at three to
eight hours.

I would advise against that type of camera anyway, it will obstruct a lot
of your windscreen. I paid a bit more and got one which records from front
and rear cameras, which includes the option to mount flush against the
screen allowing it to be hidden behind the mirror out of sight. Often an
incident on the road, begins from behind you.

Our Transcend dashcam came with a 16 GB card. At full HD 1920x1080x30 fps,
it would record about 2 hours before looping - enough to record all of my
wife's journey to work and half her journey back home. We've recently
upgraded to a 64 GB card.

It's frustrating that most mini video cameras (dashcams, GoPro and similar)
can't do both 30 fps and 25 fps for compatibility with both US/Japan and
also Europe/Australia. While computers (eg packages such as VLC) and DVD
players/TVs can play both, you have a devil of a job if you want to combine
UK-standard camcorder footage and US-format dashcam footage in a project in
Adobe Premiere etc :-( The world does not end at the US and Japanese
shores.

NY January 8th 17 09:30 PM

Calling car camera users

"Vortex12" wrote in message
I have had a Transcent Drivepro 200 for a couple of years and I think it's
pretty good. £80 ish in Halfords; Argos and suchlike.

Small enough to hide behind the rear view mirror.

The problem is that many locations near the mirror which are unobtrusive
from the driver's viewpoint are also in an area of the screen that is not
cleared by the wipers. Check also that you don't obscure any cameras/sensors
that are built into the mirror: on our Honda CRV, the first place where we
put the camera obscured the camera that the car uses to operate the
auto-dipping of full beam headlights when it sees oncoming cars - took a
while to work out why that had stopped working! We now have it in a
corresponding position but slightly on the *passenger's* side of the mirror.

Simon Mason January 8th 17 10:03 PM

Calling car camera users

On Sunday, 8 January 2017 19:05:39 UTC, Rod Speed wrote:
Simon Mason wrote
Bertie Doe wrote

Looking at those cheapo car cameras on Ebay :-

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3718320520...ht_5758wt_1124

Quality wise, you gets what you pays for, looking at the spec
for the first on list, I see it has continuous loop recording.

I have a spare 16 GB TF card, anyone care to guess
how many minutes before it starts to overwrite ? TIA

THIS HAS TWO 256GB CARDS WHICH LAST FOR 10 DAYS.

http://amzn.to/2j51dox

But is just a tad more expensive.

PROPER TOOL, OLD BOY.

Rod Speed January 8th 17 10:41 PM

Calling car camera users

"Simon Mason" wrote in message
On Sunday, 8 January 2017 19:05:39 UTC, Rod Speed wrote:
Simon Mason wrote
Bertie Doe wrote

Looking at those cheapo car cameras on Ebay :-

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3718320520...ht_5758wt_1124

Quality wise, you gets what you pays for, looking at the spec
for the first on list, I see it has continuous loop recording.

I have a spare 16 GB TF card, anyone care to guess
how many minutes before it starts to overwrite ? TIA

THIS HAS TWO 256GB CARDS WHICH LAST FOR 10 DAYS.

http://amzn.to/2j51dox

But is just a tad more expensive.

PROPER TOOL,

NOPE, UTTERLY STUPID RIPOFF.

Fredxxx January 8th 17 11:15 PM

Calling car camera users

On 08/01/2017 22:03, Simon Mason wrote:
On Sunday, 8 January 2017 19:05:39 UTC, Rod Speed wrote:
Simon Mason wrote
Bertie Doe wrote

Looking at those cheapo car cameras on Ebay :-

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3718320520...ht_5758wt_1124

Quality wise, you gets what you pays for, looking at the spec
for the first on list, I see it has continuous loop recording.

I have a spare 16 GB TF card, anyone care to guess
how many minutes before it starts to overwrite ? TIA

THIS HAS TWO 256GB CARDS WHICH LAST FOR 10 DAYS.

http://amzn.to/2j51dox

But is just a tad more expensive.

PROPER TOOL, OLD BOY.

Do you automatically associate price with quality?

Simon Mason January 9th 17 07:55 AM

Calling car camera users

On Sunday, 8 January 2017 23:15:06 UTC, Fredxxx wrote:
On 08/01/2017 22:03, Simon Mason wrote:
On Sunday, 8 January 2017 19:05:39 UTC, Rod Speed wrote:
Simon Mason wrote
Bertie Doe wrote

Looking at those cheapo car cameras on Ebay :-

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3718320520...ht_5758wt_1124

Quality wise, you gets what you pays for, looking at the spec
for the first on list, I see it has continuous loop recording.

I have a spare 16 GB TF card, anyone care to guess
how many minutes before it starts to overwrite ? TIA

THIS HAS TWO 256GB CARDS WHICH LAST FOR 10 DAYS.

http://amzn.to/2j51dox

But is just a tad more expensive.

PROPER TOOL, OLD BOY.

Do you automatically associate price with quality?

No - my £32000 new car is better than my mate's wife's new £64000 Merc.

http://www.alfaromeo.co.uk/models/giulia-quadrifoglio

Rod Speed January 9th 17 09:11 AM

Calling car camera users

"Simon Mason" wrote in message
On Sunday, 8 January 2017 23:15:06 UTC, Fredxxx wrote:
On 08/01/2017 22:03, Simon Mason wrote:
On Sunday, 8 January 2017 19:05:39 UTC, Rod Speed wrote:
Simon Mason wrote
Bertie Doe wrote

Looking at those cheapo car cameras on Ebay :-

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3718320520...ht_5758wt_1124

Quality wise, you gets what you pays for, looking at the spec
for the first on list, I see it has continuous loop recording.

I have a spare 16 GB TF card, anyone care to guess
how many minutes before it starts to overwrite ? TIA

THIS HAS TWO 256GB CARDS WHICH LAST FOR 10 DAYS.

http://amzn.to/2j51dox

But is just a tad more expensive.

PROPER TOOL, OLD BOY.

Do you automatically associate price with quality?

No - my £32000 new car is better than my mate's wife's new £64000 Merc.

Just another of your pathetic little drug crazed blotto fantasys.

http://www.alfaromeo.co.uk/models/giulia-quadrifoglio

Fredxxx January 9th 17 02:31 PM

Calling car camera users

On 09/01/2017 07:55, Simon Mason wrote:
[...]

And how much would the same car cost me in 2 or 3 years time?

Simon Mason January 9th 17 03:42 PM

Calling car camera users

On Monday, 9 January 2017 14:31:50 UTC, Fredxxx wrote:

Do you automatically associate price with quality?

No - my £32000 new car is better than my mate's wife's new £64000 Merc.

http://www.alfaromeo.co.uk/models/giulia-quadrifoglio

And how much would the same car cost me in 2 or 3 years time?

You wouldn't even get on a waiting list for a brand new one.

Judith January 9th 17 04:36 PM

Calling car camera users

On Sun, 8 Jan 2017 02:29:23 -0800 (PST), Simon Mason
wrote:

On Sunday, 8 January 2017 10:03:32 UTC, Bertie Doe wrote:
Looking at those cheapo car cameras on Ebay :-

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3718320520...ht_5758wt_1124

Quality wise, you gets what you pays for, looking at the spec for the first
on list, I see it has continuous loop recording.

I have a spare 16 GB TF card, anyone care to guess how many minutes before
it starts to overwrite ? TIA

THIS HAS TWO 256GB CARDS WHICH LAST FOR 10 DAYS.

http://amzn.to/2j51dox

Crikey - 300 quid. You must be very well off.

I am surprised that your new car does not have a built in sat nav. You could
then have spent just a hundred quid on a proper decent camera.

Love one of the comments in a review: "If you have a smartphone already then
it’s worth trying Waze before spending a big sum of money on the Nuvicam. "

However, a fool and his money ............

Simon Mason January 9th 17 04:45 PM

Calling car camera users

On Monday, 9 January 2017 16:36:11 UTC, Judith wrote:

Crikey - 300 quid. You must be very well off.

I am surprised that your new car does not have a built in sat nav. You could
then have spent just a hundred quid on a proper decent camera.

It's rubbish, as my daughter wanted the loo near Harrogate, a McDs logo hove into view on my Nuvicam and as she used to be a manager in a Hull one, she waltzed in. My Giulia hasn't even got a dead end in Chisinau on it like my Nuvicam has.

Mrcheerful January 9th 17 04:53 PM

Calling car camera users

wrote:

On Sunday, 8 January 2017 10:03:32 UTC, Bertie Doe wrote:
Looking at those cheapo car cameras on Ebay :-

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3718320520...ht_5758wt_1124

Quality wise, you gets what you pays for, looking at the spec for the first
on list, I see it has continuous loop recording.

I have a spare 16 GB TF card, anyone care to guess how many minutes before
it starts to overwrite ? TIA

THIS HAS TWO 256GB CARDS WHICH LAST FOR 10 DAYS.

http://amzn.to/2j51dox

Crikey - 300 quid. You must be very well off.

I am surprised that your new car does not have a built in sat nav. You could
then have spent just a hundred quid on a proper decent camera.

Love one of the comments in a review: "If you have a smartphone already then
it’s worth trying Waze before spending a big sum of money on the Nuvicam. "

However, a fool and his money ............

Do the DVLA let suicidal, loonie, drunken, psychotic druggies keep their
driving Licence?

Judith January 9th 17 05:00 PM

Calling car camera users

On Sun, 8 Jan 2017 23:55:54 -0800 (PST), Simon Mason
wrote:

On Sunday, 8 January 2017 23:15:06 UTC, Fredxxx wrote:
On 08/01/2017 22:03, Simon Mason wrote:
On Sunday, 8 January 2017 19:05:39 UTC, Rod Speed wrote:
Simon Mason wrote
Bertie Doe wrote

Looking at those cheapo car cameras on Ebay :-

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3718320520...ht_5758wt_1124

Quality wise, you gets what you pays for, looking at the spec
for the first on list, I see it has continuous loop recording.

I have a spare 16 GB TF card, anyone care to guess
how many minutes before it starts to overwrite ? TIA

THIS HAS TWO 256GB CARDS WHICH LAST FOR 10 DAYS.

http://amzn.to/2j51dox

But is just a tad more expensive.

PROPER TOOL, OLD BOY.

Do you automatically associate price with quality?

No - my £32000 new car is better than my mate's wife's new £64000 Merc.

Yes - of course it is.

Judith January 9th 17 05:01 PM

Calling car camera users

On Mon, 9 Jan 2017 07:42:58 -0800 (PST), Simon Mason
wrote:

On Monday, 9 January 2017 14:31:50 UTC, Fredxxx wrote:

Do you automatically associate price with quality?

No - my £32000 new car is better than my mate's wife's new £64000 Merc.

http://www.alfaromeo.co.uk/models/giulia-quadrifoglio

And how much would the same car cost me in 2 or 3 years time?

You wouldn't even get on a waiting list for a brand new one.

Do you have to attempted suicide to do so????

www.GymRatZ.co.uk[_2_] January 9th 17 05:22 PM

Calling car camera users

On 08/01/2017 11:48, tim... wrote:

THIS HAS TWO 256GB CARDS WHICH LAST FOR 10 DAYS.

http://amzn.to/2j51dox

It seems vanishingly unlikely that someone considering buying a 7.99
camera is going to decide that perhaps they might buy a 300 pound one
instead

I'd suggest the reference to the item was simply down to duration of
recording on a known card size.

There are too many other variables for it to be a reference marker
though, notably image resolution/quality/fps being the most significant.

Nick January 9th 17 05:38 PM

Calling car camera users

On 09/01/2017 16:53, MrCheerful wrote:

Do the DVLA let suicidal, loonie, drunken, psychotic druggies keep their
driving Licence?

It's virtually impossible to have a licence taken away permanently, init?

Simon Mason January 9th 17 05:46 PM

Calling car camera users

wrote:

On Monday, 9 January 2017 14:31:50 UTC, Fredxxx wrote:

Do you automatically associate price with quality?

No - my £32000 new car is better than my mate's wife's new £64000 Merc.

http://www.alfaromeo.co.uk/models/giulia-quadrifoglio

And how much would the same car cost me in 2 or 3 years time?

You wouldn't even get on a waiting list for a brand new one.

Do you have to attempted suicide to do so????

No but when my book comes out - ALFA sales will rocket.

JNugent[_4_] January 9th 17 06:02 PM

Calling car camera users

On 09/01/2017 17:38, Nick wrote:

On 09/01/2017 16:53, MrCheerful wrote:

Do the DVLA let suicidal, loonie, drunken, psychotic druggies keep their
driving Licence?

It's virtually impossible to have a licence taken away permanently, init?

That depends on what is meant by "permanently".

The suspension of a driving licence for medical reasons is indefinite
rather than permanent. But for many with "notifiable conditions", in
practice, it will turn out to be permanent.

Judith January 9th 17 06:02 PM

Calling car camera users

wrote:

[...]

I think if they are made aware of such a person they contact their GP to ask
his opinion.

Fredxxx January 9th 17 06:30 PM

Calling car camera users

On 09/01/2017 15:42, Simon Mason wrote:
On Monday, 9 January 2017 14:31:50 UTC, Fredxxx wrote:

Do you automatically associate price with quality?

No - my £32000 new car is better than my mate's wife's new £64000 Merc.

http://www.alfaromeo.co.uk/models/giulia-quadrifoglio

And how much would the same car cost me in 2 or 3 years time?

You wouldn't even get on a waiting list for a brand new one.

Is that your way of saying "not a lot"?

Rod Speed January 9th 17 08:06 PM

Calling car camera users

"Fredxxx" wrote in message
[...]

Nothing, the owner would pay you to take it away because
of the expensive repairs it would need, like the previous one.

Rod Speed January 9th 17 08:24 PM

Calling car camera users

"

However, a fool and his money ............

Do the DVLA let suicidal, loonie, drunken, psychotic druggies keep their
driving Licence?

Yep, because if they didn’t, half the country wouldn’t
have a license and would just drive without one.

Rod Speed January 9th 17 08:31 PM

Calling car camera users

Nick wrote
MrCheerful wrote

Do the DVLA let suicidal, loonie, drunken,
psychotic druggies keep their driving Licence?

It's virtually impossible to have a licence taken away permanently, init?

Trivially easy, just kill yourself.

Judith January 9th 17 11:18 PM

Calling car camera users

On Mon, 9 Jan 2017 18:02:35 +0000, JNugent wrote:

On 09/01/2017 17:38, Nick wrote:

On 09/01/2017 16:53, MrCheerful wrote:

Do the DVLA let suicidal, loonie, drunken, psychotic druggies keep their
driving Licence?

It's virtually impossible to have a licence taken away permanently, init?

That depends on what is meant by "permanently".

The suspension of a driving licence for medical reasons is indefinite
rather than permanent. But for many with "notifiable conditions", in
practice, it will turn out to be permanent.

Any idea what constitutes a "notifiable condition"?

JNugent[_4_] January 10th 17 01:59 AM

Calling car camera users

On 09/01/2017 17:38, Nick wrote:

On 09/01/2017 16:53, MrCheerful wrote:

Do the DVLA let suicidal, loonie, drunken, psychotic druggies keep their
driving Licence?

It's virtually impossible to have a licence taken away permanently, init?

That depends on what is meant by "permanently".

The suspension of a driving licence for medical reasons is indefinite
rather than permanent. But for many with "notifiable conditions", in
practice, it will turn out to be permanent.

Any idea what constitutes a "notifiable condition"?

According to:

https://www.gov.uk/driving-medical-c...-or-disability

....it seems to include:

epilepsy
strokes
other neurological and mental health conditions
physical disabilities
visual impairments (of a more severe kind, one imagines).

Judith January 10th 17 09:52 AM

Calling car camera users

On 09/01/2017 17:38, Nick wrote:

On 09/01/2017 16:53, MrCheerful wrote:

Do the DVLA let suicidal, loonie, drunken, psychotic druggies keep their
driving Licence?

It's virtually impossible to have a licence taken away permanently, init?

That depends on what is meant by "permanently".

The suspension of a driving licence for medical reasons is indefinite
rather than permanent. But for many with "notifiable conditions", in
practice, it will turn out to be permanent.

Any idea what constitutes a "notifiable condition"?

According to:

https://www.gov.uk/driving-medical-c...-or-disability

...it seems to include:

epilepsy
strokes
other neurological and mental health conditions
physical disabilities
visual impairments (of a more severe kind, one imagines).

I see that there is a specific reference:

"Particular danger would be posed by those who may attempt suicide at the
wheel."

JNugent[_4_] January 10th 17 10:36 AM

Calling car camera users

On 09/01/2017 17:38, Nick wrote:

[...]

I hadn't spotted that but take your word for it.

The trouble is that it would apply, at least in theory, to a very wide
range of people, too wide to be very meaningful.

Perhaps it ought to be read as including people who have already
attempted suicide and/or who are particularly likely to do so due to
depressive illness.