Posted to uk.d-i-y
jkn jkn is offline

Default leaking drain cock - bad choice in the first place?

Hi All
some years ago I fitted a drain cock, like this:

https://4f5b8d3b6b0bf8e595f4-4a9207d...c om/6921.gif

in the feed to the kitchen cold water tap. IIRC this was to allow draining
of the final part of the circuit (which includes an outside tap) in case we were away, etc.

In recent months this has been leaking ... enough to fill a container placed below in 4-5 days.

I have tried tightening the screw, and replacing the washer, to no avail. I have
also tried removing the washer assembly and cleaning out the inside of the cock
with steel wool, in case there was something caught inside. No joy, it still
drips.

I will replace the fitting if I have to, but it's soldered in and difficult to
get at, so it will be a pain to do. A couple of questions:

- is there anything else I might try to fix this?
- is this the right kind of fitting to use in a 'high pressure' situation such
as this? I normally see these on radiator tails, and wondered after the event
if I should have used a different kind of fitting.

Thanks
Jon N
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
jkn writes:
[...]

I think that's quite normal - I've used them in this situation.
There really isn't any good solution for a valve that works reliably
when operated once every ~25 years.

Are you sure the leak is from the drain cock, and not running down
the pipe from somewhere higher up?

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Andrew Gabriel" wrote in message
news
In article ,
jkn writes:
[...]

I expect particles in the water have worn grooves in the seating for the
washer. If it's difficult to get at you won't be able to grind it flat.
--
Dave W

Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

On 03/01/2017 22:17, jkn wrote:

I have tried tightening the screw, and replacing the washer, to no avail. I have
also tried removing the washer assembly and cleaning out the inside of the cock
with steel wool, in case there was something caught inside. No joy, it still
drips.

I drained a hot water cylinder, changed an immersion heater, and
refilled it. Everything was fine except for the f***ing drain cock. So,
I drained it down again and replaced the washer. That worked, fortunately.

You've done everything right, so I can only suggest that you try a
different washer before changing the fitting.

If you never actually drain the system that way, could you get some of
that "dries under water" sealant and block up the hole the hose is
supposed to connect to? Plus some Boss Green on the screw thread.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 3 January 2017 22:17:48 UTC, jkn wrote:
[...]

That drain cock is intended for quite low pressures, ie central heating systems.

You need to remember that the washer has to seal on both sides, water gets down the central spindle.
So the moving metal disk the washer rests on has to be perfectly smooth as well as the valve seating (on the valve body)in order to make a perfect seal.

Some valve washers have writing embossed on them, if so, the writing should face the valve seat for best seal. (Not the moving disc part).

Posted to uk.d-i-y

I have several of same type on my heating system .. all failed to seal
after draining down system.
Just changing washers did not work on 2 of them, so went to local
Plumbers Merchants bought new ones .. and just swapped over the screw in
unit .....

On 03/01/2017 22:17, jkn wrote:
[...]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

As mentioned make sure the water isn't coming from elsewhere, eg from where it's soldered on. Then use something like epoxy to block it. You can always add a self cutting one if you haven't got the space to solder.

NT

Back up or cock up: the choice is yours Bill Wright[_2_] UK diy 76 September 11th 13 09:19 PM
Stop cock leaking nafuk UK diy 5 September 4th 09 10:48 PM
Leaking stop cock Pedge UK diy 3 April 24th 05 07:59 PM
CH drain cock leaking Alan Campbell UK diy 2 December 31st 03 12:32 PM
Stop cock leaking Rich UK diy 7 September 29th 03 01:45 PM