Alan Campbell

Default CH drain cock leaking

Hi,

Came down stairs yesterday morning to a nice brown mess on the kitchen
worktop under the boiler yesterday. I suspected the CH drain cock,
which is situated directly above the boiler, so I placed a container
under it after I cleared up the mess. Nothing all day (heating on and
running for most of the day), then this morning, there was about an
egg cup full in the container. It appears to only be leaking when the
CH isnt on or cooled down.

I did drain it down in October (and used the drain cock) and it has
been fine until now. I will try tightening it up a bit today but I
was just wondering why it has started to leak all of a sudden, any
ideas ?

Alan
John

It could be leaking all the time but evaporating when the boiler is on.

The washer could be damaged - or the seating dirty.

--

Regards

John

"Alan Campbell" wrote in message
om...
Hi,

Came down stairs yesterday morning to a nice brown mess on the kitchen
worktop under the boiler yesterday. I suspected the CH drain cock,
which is situated directly above the boiler, so I placed a container
under it after I cleared up the mess. Nothing all day (heating on and
running for most of the day), then this morning, there was about an
egg cup full in the container. It appears to only be leaking when the
CH isnt on or cooled down.

I did drain it down in October (and used the drain cock) and it has
been fine until now. I will try tightening it up a bit today but I
was just wondering why it has started to leak all of a sudden, any
ideas ?

Alan

---
All of my outgoing mail is certified Virus Free.

Set Square

Alan Campbell wrote:

Hi,

Came down stairs yesterday morning to a nice brown mess on the kitchen
worktop under the boiler yesterday. I suspected the CH drain cock,
which is situated directly above the boiler, so I placed a container
under it after I cleared up the mess. Nothing all day (heating on and
running for most of the day), then this morning, there was about an
egg cup full in the container. It appears to only be leaking when the
CH isnt on or cooled down.

I did drain it down in October (and used the drain cock) and it has
been fine until now. I will try tightening it up a bit today but I
was just wondering why it has started to leak all of a sudden, any
ideas ?

Alan

It could just have vibrated a bit loose, and expands when hot to seal itself
or - as someone else has suggested, the leakage may evaporate when hot.

Rather than just tightening it, I would be inclined to open it for a few
seconds to wash out any crud which may have collected under the washer - and
*then* re-tighten it.
--
Cheers,
Set Square

Dishwasher will not drain Mr Harry UK diy 1 December 11th 03 09:02 AM
Drain cock Ed Rear UK diy 21 November 3rd 03 11:06 AM
Stop cock leaking Rich UK diy 7 September 29th 03 01:45 PM
shower drain for tiled shower floor g UK diy 3 September 2nd 03 01:55 AM