Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Stop cock leaking

Hi, I have a plastic stopcock connected to the 25 mm blue water pipe
(compression joint) and 22 mm copper (pushfit joint). The leak is
between the the grey tap section of the stopcock and the black part
that screws into the grey stop-cock part; the black part accepts the
blue pipe which is clamped by the other part of the compression slid
over the blue pipe.

The surfaces that meet are smooth and there was a residue of a gasket
when I took it apart.

I tried a large diameter fibre washer but it still leaked.

What can I use to stop the leak?

Cheers.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"nafuk" wrote in message
Hi, I have a plastic stopcock connected to the 25 mm blue water pipe
(compression joint) and 22 mm copper (pushfit joint). The leak is
between the the grey tap section of the stopcock and the black part
that screws into the grey stop-cock part; the black part accepts the
blue pipe which is clamped by the other part of the compression slid
over the blue pipe.

The surfaces that meet are smooth and there was a residue of a gasket
when I took it apart.

I tried a large diameter fibre washer but it still leaked.

What can I use to stop the leak?

Is there a pipe insert in there to prevent distortion of the pipe when
tightened ?

Such as...
http://www.screwfix.com/prods/14371/...5mm-Pack-of-10

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 3 Sep, 20:58, "R" wrote:
"nafuk" wrote in message

Hi, I have a plastic stopcock connected to the 25 mm blue water pipe
(compression joint) and 22 mm copper (pushfit joint). The leak is
between the the grey tap section of the stopcock and the black part
that screws into the grey stop-cock part; the black part accepts the
blue pipe which is clamped by the other part of the compression slid
over the blue pipe.

The surfaces that meet are smooth and there was a residue of a gasket
when I took it apart.

I tried a large diameter fibre washer but it still leaked.

What can I use to stop the leak?

Is there a pipe insert in there to prevent distortion of the pipe when
tightened *?

Such as...http://www.screwfix.com/prods/14371/...-and-Fittings/...

Yes inserts have been used. The leak is not at the MDPE pipe
connection but rather between the stopcock body and the female part of
the compression joint. The female part screws into the stopcock body,
the mating surfaces of which are both flat.
I may just try some contact adhesive.
Cheers.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Did anyone else read the subject and chuckle like a 13 yr old?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

R D S wrote:

Did anyone else read the subject and chuckle like a 13 yr old?

Yes, I thought of my late 90+ f-i-l who was somewhat incontinent towards the
end of this life. He could have done with something to . . .
Cheers,
Roger
______
PLEASE REPLY TO NEWSGROUP!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

R D S wrote:

Did anyone else read the subject and chuckle like a 13 yr old?

I thought "tie a knot in it."

outside stop cock doesn't stop water when turned. Clare UK diy 13 July 19th 09 06:37 PM
Stop Cock Up The Medway Handyman UK diy 7 February 19th 08 06:04 PM
Help re stop cock [email protected] UK diy 3 January 20th 07 06:58 PM
Leaking stop cock Pedge UK diy 3 April 24th 05 07:59 PM
Stop cock leaking Rich UK diy 7 September 29th 03 01:45 PM