Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Back up or cock up: the choice is yours

For those of you who are perhaps a little bit forgetful when it comes to
backing up your files, hear this!
Eighteen months after her stroke my wife is recovering the use of her
right hand. Yesterday we both noticed that she had unconsciously
switched back to the right hand for mousing. However her control is
imperfect. Late on she suddenly said, "I think I've deleted
something..." In fact she'd deleted the folder 'Bill 2013' on the Share
Centre. This folder contains every article I've written this year, plus
a lot of private letters and some detailed graphics I've been doing for
someone. Oh, and a lot of other stuff.
The folder did not appear in her rubbish bin. However I backed it up on
Tuesday, and since we've been away since then all work done since has
been on the laptop. In addition, I back up any significant items after
every session by the use of Dropbox.

I have a friend (elderly but that's no excuse) and every couple of years
he bemoans the loss of much work because of some disaster or other. On
one occasion the computer provided by the council for his voluntary work
was replaced and only after it had gone it did it occur to him that his
work had gone with it. Luckily the old machine was still in the
council's possession and the data was retrieved.

My daughter lost 2,000 photographs when her camera was stolen. She
hadn't 'got round to' transferring any of them to a PC or anywhere else.

So, this is a wake up call! Back up now.

Bill

Gas cock/ballvalve outside? Tim S UK diy 3 March 19th 09 03:26 PM
Cock type [email protected] UK diy 6 March 17th 07 09:32 PM
Cock Insurance for Men [email protected] Home Repair 0 March 4th 07 04:46 AM
diy cock-up! blister91 UK diy 24 February 8th 05 10:31 PM
Drain cock Ed Rear UK diy 21 November 3rd 03 11:06 AM