Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Gas cock/ballvalve outside?

Hi,

Boiler related again...

Any reason a ball valve type 22mm full bore gas cock can't be located on the
external wall of the house? It could have a little enclosure put round it
if necessary?

Looked at some manufacturer data and they don't state.

My gas pipes are going to be run externally in copper, with a tee very close
to the meter box, one branch to the boiler and one branch to the cooker.

Doing the pipe size calculations suggest the pipe sizing at 22mm is
sufficient. The reason for the gas cocks is to allow easy isolation of
either branch for future convenience.

Cheers

Tim
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 19 Mar 2009 12:41:46 +0000, Tim S wrote:

Hi,

Boiler related again...

Any reason a ball valve type 22mm full bore gas cock can't be located on the
external wall of the house? It could have a little enclosure put round it
if necessary?

Looked at some manufacturer data and they don't state.

My gas pipes are going to be run externally in copper, with a tee very close
to the meter box, one branch to the boiler and one branch to the cooker.

Doing the pipe size calculations suggest the pipe sizing at 22mm is
sufficient. The reason for the gas cocks is to allow easy isolation of
either branch for future convenience.

Cheers

Tim

So while you are in the house cooking something someone comes along
,turns the gas off...cooker extinguishes itself ...someone then turns
gas back on again ....kitchen fills with gas . A bit unlikely I admit
but still...
Why don't you put the cocks inside the house ...there must be
somewhere you can fit them in.