DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Gas cock/ballvalve outside? (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/273806-gas-cock-ballvalve-outside.html)

Tim S March 19th 09 12:41 PM

Gas cock/ballvalve outside?

Hi,

Boiler related again...

Any reason a ball valve type 22mm full bore gas cock can't be located on the
external wall of the house? It could have a little enclosure put round it
if necessary?

Looked at some manufacturer data and they don't state.

My gas pipes are going to be run externally in copper, with a tee very close
to the meter box, one branch to the boiler and one branch to the cooker.

Doing the pipe size calculations suggest the pipe sizing at 22mm is
sufficient. The reason for the gas cocks is to allow easy isolation of
either branch for future convenience.

Cheers

Tim

the [email protected] March 19th 09 01:49 PM

Gas cock/ballvalve outside?

On Thu, 19 Mar 2009 12:41:46 +0000, Tim S wrote:

Hi,

Boiler related again...

Any reason a ball valve type 22mm full bore gas cock can't be located on the
external wall of the house? It could have a little enclosure put round it
if necessary?

Looked at some manufacturer data and they don't state.

My gas pipes are going to be run externally in copper, with a tee very close
to the meter box, one branch to the boiler and one branch to the cooker.

Doing the pipe size calculations suggest the pipe sizing at 22mm is
sufficient. The reason for the gas cocks is to allow easy isolation of
either branch for future convenience.

Cheers

Tim

So while you are in the house cooking something someone comes along
,turns the gas off...cooker extinguishes itself ...someone then turns
gas back on again ....kitchen fills with gas . A bit unlikely I admit
but still...
Why don't you put the cocks inside the house ...there must be
somewhere you can fit them in.

Tim S March 19th 09 02:23 PM

Gas cock/ballvalve outside?

the coughed up some electrons that declared:

So while you are in the house cooking something someone comes along
,turns the gas off...cooker extinguishes itself ...someone then turns
gas back on again ....kitchen fills with gas . A bit unlikely I admit
but still...

They could do that at the meter. I think you've justified an enclosure
though, to dissuade fiddling fingers... Or lockable cocks, which I noticed
the other day.

Why don't you put the cocks inside the house ...there must be
somewhere you can fit them in.

Boiler yes, but the cooker supply will come straight in the wall into a hose
bayonet. Part of the attraction is being able to isolate an entire section
of pipe too, in the (unlikely) event of damage.

Cheers

Tim

the [email protected] March 19th 09 03:26 PM

Gas cock/ballvalve outside?

On Thu, 19 Mar 2009 14:23:52 +0000, Tim S wrote:

the coughed up some electrons that declared:

So while you are in the house cooking something someone comes along
,turns the gas off...cooker extinguishes itself ...someone then turns
gas back on again ....kitchen fills with gas . A bit unlikely I admit
but still...

They could do that at the meter. I think you've justified an enclosure
though, to dissuade fiddling fingers... Or lockable cocks, which I noticed
the other day.

Yeah .You are right about the meter ..never thought about that ....and
of course keys to open the meter box are simple enough to get hold of
and ,of course,anything which stops or delays access to turning off
the gas supply in an emergency isn't a good thing either ( like the
lever being padlocked or lockable ) .Dunno what the answer to that is
..