Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Toilet Unblocker

Hi All,

Does anyone have experience of trying these for unblocking toilets:
http://tinyurl.com/jtad8tr or http://tinyurl.com/zef8yon?

The sensible option of trying to persuade my kids not to use half a roll at
a time hasn't been very successful and I'm fed up of clearing partial
blockages.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 31 Dec 2016 09:49:38 -0000, "Endulini"
wrote:

Hi All,

Does anyone have experience of trying these for unblocking toilets:
http://tinyurl.com/jtad8tr or http://tinyurl.com/zef8yon?

The sensible option of trying to persuade my kids not to use half a roll at
a time hasn't been very successful and I'm fed up of clearing partial
blockages.

Change their diet :-)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Some washing up liquid flushed down makes the pipes more slippery and the
blockage more absorbant.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

On 31/12/2016 09:49, Endulini wrote:
Hi All,

Does anyone have experience of trying these for unblocking toilets:
http://tinyurl.com/jtad8tr or http://tinyurl.com/zef8yon?

The sensible option of trying to persuade my kids not to use half a roll
at a time hasn't been very successful and I'm fed up of clearing partial
blockages.

Have you tried an ordinary force cup?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 31/12/16 10:27, DerbyBorn wrote:
Some washing up liquid flushed down makes the pipes more slippery and the
blockage more absorbant.

+1 for the washing up liquid.

A bucket of warm water poured in at the moment of flush can often give
the extra oomph required but be sure to calculate the relative volumes
of bucket, bowl and flush beforehand -DAMHIKT

If all else fails. google single sheet toilet tissue dispensers.

Happy New Year

Nick

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Endulini wrote:
Hi All,

Does anyone have experience of trying these for unblocking toilets:
http://tinyurl.com/jtad8tr or http://tinyurl.com/zef8yon?

The sensible option of trying to persuade my kids not to use half a roll
at a time hasn't been very successful and I'm fed up of clearing partial
blockages.

I don't think I'd want to be cleaning either of those devices after use.

Get a grip on your kids. Making them unblock any problems they cause
should work.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Jim Jim is offline

"Endulini" Wrote in message:
Hi All,

Does anyone have experience of trying these for unblocking toilets:
http://tinyurl.com/jtad8tr or http://tinyurl.com/zef8yon?

The sensible option of trying to persuade my kids not to use half a roll at
a time hasn't been very successful and I'm fed up of clearing partial
blockages.

"Air is heavier than water, hence more water displacement takes place!"

Er... Shome mishtake shurely?

Quick answer - iDunno.

Get the kids to help with the clearances?

Change (them) to that bloody izal bog paper? Like trying to wipe
your arse on greaseproof paper...

--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

A bucket of water violently dispensed normally does the trick (force = mass x acceleration)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 31/12/16 13:18, simon mitchelmore wrote:
A bucket of water violently dispensed normally does the trick (force = mass x acceleration)

getting hidden limescale out of the bog is the first prerequisite

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 31 Dec 2016 11:10:00 +0000, Bob Minchin wrote:

Endulini wrote:
Hi All,

Does anyone have experience of trying these for unblocking toilets:
http://tinyurl.com/jtad8tr or http://tinyurl.com/zef8yon?

The sensible option of trying to persuade my kids not to use half a
roll at a time hasn't been very successful and I'm fed up of clearing
partial blockages.

I don't think I'd want to be cleaning either of those devices after use.

A mop covered in a heavy duty plastic sack, with cable tie.

Easily removed, inside out, and dumped in the bin.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 31/12/16 09:49, Endulini wrote:
Hi All,

Does anyone have experience of trying these for unblocking toilets:
http://tinyurl.com/jtad8tr or http://tinyurl.com/zef8yon?

The sensible option of trying to persuade my kids not to use half a roll
at a time hasn't been very successful and I'm fed up of clearing partial
blockages.

Flexi wire works best IME, with an unravelled wire coat hanger doing
well enough in an emergency.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Flexi wire works best IME, with an unravelled wire coat hanger doing
well enough in an emergency.

The assumption being that the blockage is within reach and that you don't
mind scratching the china or puncturing the seal sleeve.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 01/01/17 17:53, DerbyBorn wrote:

Flexi wire works best IME, with an unravelled wire coat hanger doing
well enough in an emergency.

The assumption being that the blockage is within reach and that you don't
mind scratching the china or puncturing the seal sleeve.

It often does (the bend is the constricted part) and no, I've never
damaged the pipes doing this.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Watts wrote in
:

On 01/01/17 17:53, DerbyBorn wrote:

Flexi wire works best IME, with an unravelled wire coat hanger doing
well enough in an emergency.

The assumption being that the blockage is within reach and that you
don't mind scratching the china or puncturing the seal sleeve.

It often does (the bend is the constricted part) and no, I've never
damaged the pipes doing this.

Some houses have a very slow fall toward the vertical pipe. It is along
here where stuff gets stuck and dries out.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"DerbyBorn" wrote in message
2.222...

Tim Watts wrote in
:

On 01/01/17 17:53, DerbyBorn wrote:

Flexi wire works best IME, with an unravelled wire coat hanger doing
well enough in an emergency.

The assumption being that the blockage is within reach and that you
don't mind scratching the china or puncturing the seal sleeve.

It often does (the bend is the constricted part) and no, I've never
damaged the pipes doing this.

Some houses have a very slow fall toward the vertical pipe. It is along
here where stuff gets stuck and dries out.

Thanks for all the suggestions folks, it's in a downstairs toilet and I have
tried poking around with 2 meters of flexible cable with no luck. It does
drain but rises alarmingly before draining. A couple of times I've noticed
the water level disappearing back up the pipework before returning.......

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Endulini" wrote in
om:

"DerbyBorn" wrote in message
2.222...

Tim Watts wrote in
:

On 01/01/17 17:53, DerbyBorn wrote:

Flexi wire works best IME, with an unravelled wire coat hanger
doing well enough in an emergency.

The assumption being that the blockage is within reach and that you
don't mind scratching the china or puncturing the seal sleeve.

It often does (the bend is the constricted part) and no, I've never
damaged the pipes doing this.

Some houses have a very slow fall toward the vertical pipe. It is
along here where stuff gets stuck and dries out.

Thanks for all the suggestions folks, it's in a downstairs toilet and
I have tried poking around with 2 meters of flexible cable with no
luck. It does drain but rises alarmingly before draining. A couple of
times I've noticed the water level disappearing back up the pipework
before returning.......

Where does the pipe go to - straight into the ground? If so then find
the relevant inspection chamber outside. You may do better rodding from
there.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
"Endulini" writes:
"DerbyBorn" wrote in message
2.222...

Tim Watts wrote in
:

On 01/01/17 17:53, DerbyBorn wrote:

Flexi wire works best IME, with an unravelled wire coat hanger doing
well enough in an emergency.

The assumption being that the blockage is within reach and that you
don't mind scratching the china or puncturing the seal sleeve.

It often does (the bend is the constricted part) and no, I've never
damaged the pipes doing this.

Some houses have a very slow fall toward the vertical pipe. It is along
here where stuff gets stuck and dries out.

Thanks for all the suggestions folks, it's in a downstairs toilet and I have
tried poking around with 2 meters of flexible cable with no luck. It does
drain but rises alarmingly before draining. A couple of times I've noticed
the water level disappearing back up the pipework before returning.......

IME, that means the inspection chamber where the WC pipe discharges
is full of liquid so there's no free flow of air in the pipe from the
WC, hence sucking out the WC trap as the water drains away.

It's probably not a blockage of the WC pipe, but something further
downstream.

Did you remember to ask Santa for a nice new set of drain rods,
gauntlets, and waders ;-)

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 31/12/2016 09:49, Endulini wrote:
Hi All,

Does anyone have experience of trying these for unblocking toilets:
http://tinyurl.com/jtad8tr or http://tinyurl.com/zef8yon?

The sensible option of trying to persuade my kids not to use half a roll
at a time hasn't been very successful and I'm fed up of clearing partial
blockages.

Don't buy luxury, padded, enhanced or whatever bog paper.
Just stick to the plain stuff that Andrex make, it turns
into mush much more easily so blockages are easier to deal
with.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02/01/2017 20:48, Andrew Gabriel wrote:

IME, that means the inspection chamber where the WC pipe discharges
is full of liquid so there's no free flow of air in the pipe from the
WC, hence sucking out the WC trap as the water drains away.

It's probably not a blockage of the WC pipe, but something further
downstream.

Did you remember to ask Santa for a nice new set of drain rods,
gauntlets, and waders ;-)

Goggles !!!!, and keep your mouth shut.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 31/12/16 09:49, Endulini wrote:
Hi All,

Does anyone have experience of trying these for unblocking toilets:
http://tinyurl.com/jtad8tr or http://tinyurl.com/zef8yon?

The sensible option of trying to persuade my kids not to use half a roll
at a time hasn't been very successful and I'm fed up of clearing partial
blockages.

Maybe the toilet is not flushing away all successfully at the first
attempt, and they are _then_ laying excessive paper on top to avoid
offending the next visitor to the sight of the, err... um..

Make an announcement that a couple of 'vanity sheets' is sufficient and
then put the lid down? And in the mean time find out what has decreased
the ability to flush?

Or change their diets.

--
Adrian C

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Endulini" wrote in message
om...

"DerbyBorn" wrote in message
2.222...

Tim Watts wrote in
:

On 01/01/17 17:53, DerbyBorn wrote:

Flexi wire works best IME, with an unravelled wire coat hanger doing
well enough in an emergency.

The assumption being that the blockage is within reach and that you
don't mind scratching the china or puncturing the seal sleeve.

It often does (the bend is the constricted part) and no, I've never
damaged the pipes doing this.

Some houses have a very slow fall toward the vertical pipe. It is along
here where stuff gets stuck and dries out.

Thanks for all the suggestions folks, it's in a downstairs toilet and I
have tried poking around with 2 meters of flexible cable with no luck. It
does drain but rises alarmingly before draining. A couple of times I've
noticed the water level disappearing back up the pipework before
returning.......

Thanks again folks, one suggestion was that the blockage might be after the
inspection chamber and I agree it would be a good idea to have a look at
this. One question though (and this might be a bit naive) if the the
blockage was post the chamber wouldn't I be seeing drainage problems with
other systems too?

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Jim Jim is offline

"Endulini" Wrote in message:
"Endulini" wrote in message
om...

"DerbyBorn" wrote in message
2.222...

Tim Watts wrote in
:

[...]

Depends how your drainage system is arranged?
Worth a look, if there's weeping/stench around the lid then
prepare yourself before opening DAMHIKT! :-)
--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/