Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Flap Wheel grit size

Having never used these before and having to de-rust a large steel plate
with modest pits, what is the most suitable grit size I should use?

This is for a 4.5" / 115mm angle grinder.

I also got the impression the finer grit sized wheels last longer?

Can anyone assist with pros and cons?

--
Mike Perkins
Video Solutions Ltd
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 20 December 2016 22:58:30 UTC, Mike Perkins wrote:

Having never used these before and having to de-rust a large steel plate
with modest pits, what is the most suitable grit size I should use?

This is for a 4.5" / 115mm angle grinder.

I also got the impression the finer grit sized wheels last longer?

Can anyone assist with pros and cons?

Coarser is faster and gets more work done per wheel, but 40 grit would give you a scratched finish. It's mainly a question of what finish you want.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 20 December 2016 22:58:30 UTC, Mike Perkins wrote:
Having never used these before and having to de-rust a large steel plate
with modest pits, what is the most suitable grit size I should use?

This is for a 4.5" / 115mm angle grinder.

I also got the impression the finer grit sized wheels last longer?

Can anyone assist with pros and cons?

Wearing out is not an issue with flap wheels, they seem to go on forever.
They work well, fast and leave the metal with a "bright" finish but also leave the surface with a rough "adzed" finish".
You can't get into corners and crevices with them.

A wire "cup brush" is bit better in corners but doesn't leave a bright finish. It gets the surface rust off but the metal is left with a sort of brown film. Needs "Kurerust" or similar treatment prior to painting.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

harry wrote:
On Tuesday, 20 December 2016 22:58:30 UTC, Mike Perkins wrote:
Having never used these before and having to de-rust a large steel plate
with modest pits, what is the most suitable grit size I should use?

This is for a 4.5" / 115mm angle grinder.

I also got the impression the finer grit sized wheels last longer?

Can anyone assist with pros and cons?

Wearing out is not an issue with flap wheels, they seem to go on forever.
They work well, fast and leave the metal with a "bright" finish but also
leave the surface with a rough "adzed" finish".
You can't get into corners and crevices with them.

A wire "cup brush" is bit better in corners but doesn't leave a bright
finish. It gets the surface rust off but the metal is left with a sort
of brown film. Needs "Kurerust" or similar treatment prior to painting.

Yes, I think I'd go with a wire brush for rust removal in general.

--
Chris Green
·

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 20 December 2016 22:58:30 UTC, Mike Perkins wrote:
Having never used these before and having to de-rust a large steel plate
with modest pits, what is the most suitable grit size I should use?

This is for a 4.5" / 115mm angle grinder.

I also got the impression the finer grit sized wheels last longer?

Can anyone assist with pros and cons?

Be sure to wear goggles BTW.
Really essential.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mike Perkins was thinking very hard :
Having never used these before and having to de-rust a large steel plate with
modest pits, what is the most suitable grit size I should use?

This is for a 4.5" / 115mm angle grinder.

I also got the impression the finer grit sized wheels last longer?

Can anyone assist with pros and cons?

Electrolysis rust removal works rather well and only removes the rust.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Jim Jim is offline

Harry Bloomfield Wrote in message:
Mike Perkins was thinking very hard :
Having never used these before and having to de-rust a large steel plate with
modest pits, what is the most suitable grit size I should use?

This is for a 4.5" / 115mm angle grinder.

I also got the impression the finer grit sized wheels last longer?

Can anyone assist with pros and cons?

Electrolysis rust removal works rather well and only removes the rust.

Phosphoric acid off ebay, rinse, dry, paint

--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21/12/2016 10:55, Chris Green wrote:
harry wrote:
On Tuesday, 20 December 2016 22:58:30 UTC, Mike Perkins wrote:
Having never used these before and having to de-rust a large steel plate
with modest pits, what is the most suitable grit size I should use?

This is for a 4.5" / 115mm angle grinder.

I also got the impression the finer grit sized wheels last longer?

Can anyone assist with pros and cons?

Wearing out is not an issue with flap wheels, they seem to go on forever.
They work well, fast and leave the metal with a "bright" finish but also
leave the surface with a rough "adzed" finish".
You can't get into corners and crevices with them.

A wire "cup brush" is bit better in corners but doesn't leave a bright
finish. It gets the surface rust off but the metal is left with a sort
of brown film. Needs "Kurerust" or similar treatment prior to painting.

Yes, I think I'd go with a wire brush for rust removal in general.

Most two-pack epoxy paint suppliers suggest that wire-brushing is more
likely to polish rust than remove it.

In the past I have used wire brush attachments and I am inclined to
agree with this observation.

My instinct is that a flap wheel will be more aggressive with rust?

--
Mike Perkins
Video Solutions Ltd
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21/12/2016 19:13, jim wrote:
Harry Bloomfield Wrote in message:
Mike Perkins was thinking very hard :
Having never used these before and having to de-rust a large steel plate with
modest pits, what is the most suitable grit size I should use?

This is for a 4.5" / 115mm angle grinder.

I also got the impression the finer grit sized wheels last longer?

Can anyone assist with pros and cons?

Electrolysis rust removal works rather well and only removes the rust.

Phosphoric acid off ebay, rinse, dry, paint

I'm not sure how practical that is. The rinsing will also produce an
unwanted oxide layer on the plate that has been sanded back to clean metal.

--
Mike Perkins
Video Solutions Ltd

Posted to uk.d-i-y

harry wrote:
[...]

I'm surprised, but open to persuasion. Most of my experience is on
fairly badly pitted rusty metal, on this my feeling is that a wire
brush will tend to get further into the pits. In general if this is
the first stage of 'rust treatment' then whether the surface *looks*
good isn't very important, what matters is if the 'paint' applied
after can penetrate to solid metal.

--
Chris Green
·
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mike Perkins wrote:
On 21/12/2016 19:13, jim wrote:
Harry Bloomfield Wrote in message:
Mike Perkins was thinking very hard :
Having never used these before and having to de-rust a large steel plate with
modest pits, what is the most suitable grit size I should use?

This is for a 4.5" / 115mm angle grinder.

I also got the impression the finer grit sized wheels last longer?

Can anyone assist with pros and cons?

Electrolysis rust removal works rather well and only removes the rust.

Phosphoric acid off ebay, rinse, dry, paint

I'm not sure how practical that is. The rinsing will also produce an
unwanted oxide layer on the plate that has been sanded back to clean metal.

Many modern rust treatment coatings (may be called 'primer' but not
necessarily) can cope with a light coating of rust and some of them
actuallty *require* a coat of rust to work properly.

--
Chris Green
·
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Jim Jim is offline

Mike Perkins Wrote in message:
On 21/12/2016 19:13, jim wrote:
Harry Bloomfield Wrote in message:
Mike Perkins was thinking very hard :
Having never used these before and having to de-rust a large steel plate with
modest pits, what is the most suitable grit size I should use?

This is for a 4.5" / 115mm angle grinder.

I also got the impression the finer grit sized wheels last longer?

Can anyone assist with pros and cons?

Electrolysis rust removal works rather well and only removes the rust.

Phosphoric acid off ebay, rinse, dry, paint

I'm not sure how practical that is. The rinsing will also produce an
unwanted oxide layer on the plate that has been sanded back to clean metal.

So don't rinse with water?

Shurely you'll be using an anti rust paint?

If not why are you recycling half gone sheet steel?

--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

harry wrote:
[...]

IMLE a wire wheel removes most rust, but not all, it leaves a layer. OTOH it gets into pits better than sandpaper. So both might be best.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Chris Green explained :
Many modern rust treatment coatings (may be called 'primer' but not
necessarily) can cope with a light coating of rust and some of them
actuallty *require* a coat of rust to work properly.

Indeed, they used to leave bare metal car bodies out in the rain, to
get a thin coat of rust on them prior to application of paint.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Harry Bloomfield wrote:
Chris Green explained :
Many modern rust treatment coatings (may be called 'primer' but not
necessarily) can cope with a light coating of rust and some of them
actuallty *require* a coat of rust to work properly.

Indeed, they used to leave bare metal car bodies out in the rain, to
get a thin coat of rust on them prior to application of paint.

One that I'm using on our boat in France says that if there *isn't* a
light coating of rust then the surface isn't well enough degreased.

--
Chris Green
·
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21/12/2016 09:14, harry wrote:
On Tuesday, 20 December 2016 22:58:30 UTC, Mike Perkins wrote:
Having never used these before and having to de-rust a large steel plate
with modest pits, what is the most suitable grit size I should use?

This is for a 4.5" / 115mm angle grinder.

I also got the impression the finer grit sized wheels last longer?

Can anyone assist with pros and cons?

A wire "cup brush" is bit better in corners but doesn't leave a bright finish.

It gets the surface rust off but the metal is left with a sort of brown
film.
Needs "Kurerust" or similar treatment prior to painting.

Kurust is now a useless product since it was been bought by Akzo Nobel
(new owners of Dulux), and reformulated as water-based.

get it professionally shot blasted if at all possible and then
paint or spray with zinc-rich primer immediately.

Akzo Nobel also now own hammerite and have turned that into
just another paint. Previous formulation needed Xylene to
clean the brushes. New version doesn't, and is nowhere near
as good as it was. In fact you'll struggle to find any decent
metal paints these days.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
[...]

That sounds a good plan.

--
Mike Perkins
Video Solutions Ltd
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21/12/2016 19:13, jim wrote:
Harry Bloomfield Wrote in message:
Mike Perkins was thinking very hard :
Having never used these before and having to de-rust a large steel plate with
modest pits, what is the most suitable grit size I should use?

This is for a 4.5" / 115mm angle grinder.

I also got the impression the finer grit sized wheels last longer?

Can anyone assist with pros and cons?

Electrolysis rust removal works rather well and only removes the rust.

Phosphoric acid off ebay, rinse, dry, paint

I'm not sure how practical that is. The rinsing will also produce an
unwanted oxide layer on the plate that has been sanded back to clean metal.

So don't
rinse with water?

Shurely you'll be using an anti rust paint?

I'll be using a 2-pack epoxy coating.

If not why are you recycling half gone sheet steel?

Replacing it isn't an option!!

--
Mike Perkins
Video Solutions Ltd
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21/12/2016 19:13, jim wrote:
Harry Bloomfield Wrote in message:
Mike Perkins was thinking very hard :

Having never used these before and having to de-rust a large steel plate with
modest pits, what is the most suitable grit size I should use?

This is for a 4.5" / 115mm angle grinder.

I also got the impression the finer grit sized wheels last longer?

Can anyone assist with pros and cons?

Electrolysis rust removal works rather well and only removes the rust.

Phosphoric acid off ebay, rinse, dry, paint

I'm not sure how practical that is. The rinsing will also produce an
unwanted oxide layer on the plate that has been sanded back to clean metal.

So don't
rinse with water?

Shurely you'll be using an anti rust paint?

I'll be using a 2-pack epoxy coating.

If not why are you recycling half gone sheet steel?

Replacing it isn't an option!!

On reflection maybe you should take Jim's advice, if the boat's in need of a repaint just chuck it.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 22 December 2016 23:54:45 UTC, Andrew wrote:
[...]

True about the Hammerite.
Definitely smells different to the old stuff.
Apparently Xylene is carcinogenic.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/3053447
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
jim k wrote:
Harry Bloomfield Wrote in message:
Mike Perkins was thinking very hard :
Having never used these before and having to de-rust a large steel plate with
modest pits, what is the most suitable grit size I should use?

This is for a 4.5" / 115mm angle grinder.

I also got the impression the finer grit sized wheels last longer?

Can anyone assist with pros and cons?

Electrolysis rust removal works rather well and only removes the rust.

Phosphoric acid off ebay, rinse, dry, paint

I've never found any chemical treatment of rust works as well as grinding
back to bare clean steel. At best, it is merely better than painting over
the rust.

--
*Before they invented drawing boards, what did they go back to?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Chris Green wrote:
I'm surprised, but open to persuasion. Most of my experience is on
fairly badly pitted rusty metal, on this my feeling is that a wire
brush will tend to get further into the pits. In general if this is
the first stage of 'rust treatment' then whether the surface *looks*
good isn't very important, what matters is if the 'paint' applied
after can penetrate to solid metal.

I had a rusty sunroof on the old Rover. One of the few panels you can't
buy new.

Sanded it down to bare metal, then used a Dremel type thing with a diamond
burr to grind out the pits. Then lead filled it. It cost 100 quid to have
it painted, so wanted the paint to stay on as long as possible. ;-)

--
*Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Jim Jim is offline

"Dave Plowman (News)" Wrote in message:
In article ,
jim k wrote:
Harry Bloomfield Wrote in message:
Mike Perkins was thinking very hard :
Having never used these before and having to de-rust a large steel plate with
modest pits, what is the most suitable grit size I should use?

This is for a 4.5" / 115mm angle grinder.

I also got the impression the finer grit sized wheels last longer?

Can anyone assist with pros and cons?

Electrolysis rust removal works rather well and only removes the rust.

Phosphoric acid off ebay, rinse, dry, paint

I've never found any chemical treatment of rust works as well as grinding
back to bare clean steel. At best, it is merely better than painting over
the rust.

What about that POR15 ? stuff?

--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
jim k wrote:
Harry Bloomfield Wrote in message:
Mike Perkins was thinking very hard :
Having never used these before and having to de-rust a large steel plate with
modest pits, what is the most suitable grit size I should use?

This is for a 4.5" / 115mm angle grinder.

I also got the impression the finer grit sized wheels last longer?

Can anyone assist with pros and cons?

Electrolysis rust removal works rather well and only removes the rust.

Phosphoric acid off ebay, rinse, dry, paint

I've never found any chemical treatment of rust works as well as grinding
back to bare clean steel. At best, it is merely better than painting over
the rust.

That also seems to be the consensus among paint manufacturers.

--
Mike Perkins
Video Solutions Ltd
Posted to uk.d-i-y

jim k wrote:
Harry Bloomfield Wrote in message:
Mike Perkins was thinking very hard :
Having never used these before and having to de-rust a large steel
plate with modest pits, what is the most suitable grit size I
should use?

This is for a 4.5" / 115mm angle grinder.

I also got the impression the finer grit sized wheels last longer?

Can anyone assist with pros and cons?

Electrolysis rust removal works rather well and only removes the
rust.

Phosphoric acid off ebay, rinse, dry, paint

I've never found any chemical treatment of rust works as well as
grinding back to bare clean steel. At best, it is merely better than
painting over the rust.

What about that POR15 ?

To me the difference is between a light coating of rust which is easily
removed anyway, and the sort of bad pitting you get on say an old car
panel. The difficulty being any treatment penetrating to the depths of
that pitting. Because if it doesn't, the rust will simply spread from
there. Obviously some paints will be better than others, but none gives a
satisfactory life IMHO. Like as long as with brand new rustless steel.

--
*The more people I meet, the more I like my dog.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Harry Bloomfield wrote:
Chris Green explained :
Many modern rust treatment coatings (may be called 'primer' but not
necessarily) can cope with a light coating of rust and some of them
actuallty *require* a coat of rust to work properly.

Indeed, they used to leave bare metal car bodies out in the rain, to
get a thin coat of rust on them prior to application of paint.

And you think that intentional? ;-)

An acid etch primer works perfectly well on clean bare rustfree steel.
You'd certainly not want to apply paint over steel left outdoors. It would
have all sorts of ****e on it.

--
*Learn from your parents' mistakes - use birth control

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Andrew wrote:
Kurust is now a useless product since it was been bought by Akzo Nobel
(new owners of Dulux), and reformulated as water-based.

It never was any use. Just one of those brands with a good name that gets
remembered.

--
*Organized Crime Is Alive And Well; It's Called Auto Insurance. *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
Andrew wrote:
Kurust is now a useless product since it was been bought by Akzo Nobel
(new owners of Dulux), and reformulated as water-based.

It never was any use. Just one of those brands with a good name that gets
remembered.

worked fine on my Cortina. But that was 45 - 32 years ago

I suspect new formula is nothing to do with Akzo Nobel and a lot to do with
EU requirements.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
charles wrote:
In article ,
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
Andrew wrote:
Kurust is now a useless product since it was been bought by Akzo
Nobel (new owners of Dulux), and reformulated as water-based.

It never was any use. Just one of those brands with a good name that
gets remembered.

worked fine on my Cortina. But that was 45 - 32 years ago

And how long did it last before rust appeared again? The snag with any of
these sort of things is knowing for sure it is any better than a plain
decent primer.

I suspect new formula is nothing to do with Akzo Nobel and a lot to do
with EU requirements.

Or makers hiding behind such 'requirements' as an excuse to make a cheaper
product and sell it at a higher price.

--
*Work like you don't need the money. Love like you've never been hurt.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/21/2016 10:55 AM, Chris Green wrote:
harry wrote:
On Tuesday, 20 December 2016 22:58:30 UTC, Mike Perkins wrote:
Having never used these before and having to de-rust a large steel plate
with modest pits, what is the most suitable grit size I should use?

This is for a 4.5" / 115mm angle grinder.

I also got the impression the finer grit sized wheels last longer?

Can anyone assist with pros and cons?

Wearing out is not an issue with flap wheels, they seem to go on forever.
They work well, fast and leave the metal with a "bright" finish but also
leave the surface with a rough "adzed" finish".
You can't get into corners and crevices with them.

A wire "cup brush" is bit better in corners but doesn't leave a bright
finish. It gets the surface rust off but the metal is left with a sort
of brown film. Needs "Kurerust" or similar treatment prior to painting.

Yes, I think I'd go with a wire brush for rust removal in general.

I usually find a "disk" type brush with twisted brushes a bit better in
an Angle Grinder than a "Cup" brush. Agreed, you get a burnished finish
with oxide embedded in the surface.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21/12/2016 19:13, jim wrote:
Harry Bloomfield Wrote in message:
Mike Perkins was thinking very hard :

Having never used these before and having to de-rust a large steel plate with
modest pits, what is the most suitable grit size I should use?

If not why are you recycling half gone sheet steel?

Replacing it isn't an option!!

On reflection maybe you should take Jim's advice, if the boat's in need of a repaint just chuck it.

I know we're in a throw away society but where something has a
considerable life left in it, it seems preservation ought to be
considered first.

I have many things others would have thrown out. Later they come and say wow, I wish I had one like that. Silly world.

NT