Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Flap Wheel grit size

In article ,
jim k wrote:
"Dave Plowman (News)" Wrote in message:
In article ,
jim k wrote:
Harry Bloomfield Wrote in message:
Mike Perkins was thinking very hard :
Having never used these before and having to de-rust a large steel
plate with modest pits, what is the most suitable grit size I
should use?

This is for a 4.5" / 115mm angle grinder.

I also got the impression the finer grit sized wheels last longer?

Can anyone assist with pros and cons?

Electrolysis rust removal works rather well and only removes the
rust.

Phosphoric acid off ebay, rinse, dry, paint

I've never found any chemical treatment of rust works as well as
grinding back to bare clean steel. At best, it is merely better than
painting over the rust.

What about that POR15 ?

To me the difference is between a light coating of rust which is easily
removed anyway, and the sort of bad pitting you get on say an old car
panel. The difficulty being any treatment penetrating to the depths of
that pitting. Because if it doesn't, the rust will simply spread from
there. Obviously some paints will be better than others, but none gives a
satisfactory life IMHO. Like as long as with brand new rustless steel.

--
*The more people I meet, the more I like my dog.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.