Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default mitre saw

I have a chap on a visit who is going to cut the timber fro my shed,
he has asked for a mitre saw. I'm considering a cheap one but wonder
if there is a worthwhile advantage in going for a sliding or compound
type for the future?

AJH
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
wrote:
I have a chap on a visit who is going to cut the timber fro my shed,
he has asked for a mitre saw. I'm considering a cheap one but wonder
if there is a worthwhile advantage in going for a sliding or compound
type for the future?

What size timber? Many cheap saws will only cope with small sizes.

Personally, I find a decent sliding type well worth the extra. As it will
cut wider things (like shelves) in one go. But only you will know what
you'll use it for.

--
*Why is it that doctors call what they do "practice"?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20/12/2016 16:02, alo wrote:

What would be a good make (brand) to use for making picture frame
mitres. I already have a Nobex Mitre saw but a power tool alternative
sounds attractive if it cuts as good and as accurately as the hand
saw...?

Thanks

Isn't one of these types the best way to do that?

http://www.axminster.co.uk/axcaliber...ge-deal-717577
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 20 December 2016 13:38:04 UTC, wrote:

I have a chap on a visit who is going to cut the timber fro my shed,
he has asked for a mitre saw. I'm considering a cheap one but wonder
if there is a worthwhile advantage in going for a sliding or compound
type for the future?

AJH

Pretty much all are compound angle cutting. Sliders you can do a lot more with, ie length cuts on timber upto a couple of feet or so, cut sheet materials upto a point, and cut wide boards. But a slider is more money, and much more size & weight.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, December 21, 2016 at 12:29:29 AM UTC, wrote:
On Tuesday, 20 December 2016 13:38:04 UTC, wrote:

I have a chap on a visit who is going to cut the timber fro my shed,
he has asked for a mitre saw. I'm considering a cheap one but wonder
if there is a worthwhile advantage in going for a sliding or compound
type for the future?

AJH

Pretty much all are compound angle cutting. Sliders you can do a lot more with, ie length cuts on timber upto a couple of feet or so, cut sheet materials upto a point, and cut wide boards. But a slider is more money, and much more size & weight.

NT

why not just rent one
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

I have a chap on a visit who is going to cut the timber fro my shed,
he has asked for a mitre saw. I'm considering a cheap one but wonder
if there is a worthwhile advantage in going for a sliding or
compound type for the future?

AJH

Pretty much all are compound angle cutting. Sliders you can do a lot more with, ie length cuts on timber upto a couple of feet or so, cut sheet materials upto a point, and cut wide boards. But a slider is more money, and much more size & weight.

NT

why not just rent one

Might well be the best way.

I've had 4. First one just a cheapie from a shed. More of a chop saw. Got
annoyed it wasn't big enough for the sort of things I wanted. Bought a
larger one. Then a cheap slider. That was Ok but a pain to set to give an
exact 90 degree (or whatever) cut. So eventually got a large Makita on
special offer, which is pretty well what I should have got first. But far
too expensive for a one off use.

--
*That's it! I‘m calling grandma!

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 21 Dec 2016 13:49:05 +0000 (GMT), "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

In article ,
fred wrote:

why not just rent one

Might well be the best way.

I doubt it and for the sake of £100 I'd prefer to buy.

In view of the comments about set up and rigidity I'll go for the
simple one as long as it can cut 45 degrees through a 3 by 2.

AJH
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
John Rumm wrote:
Check carefully before buying - the cut capacity at 45 is smaller than
at 90. My first chop saw would do a 4x2 laid flat on the bed, but could
not mitre that size or cut it with the wood tall axis vertical.

Yup. Of course this may not matter - but do check first. Really annoying
when you buy something and discover it won't do what you need.

My other requirement for a slider was to cut a 12" wide board in one pass.
Trouble is the saws which can do this tend to be quite large.

--
*Can atheists get insurance for acts of God? *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Mitre saw /sliding mitre saw TMC[_2_] UK diy 15 July 24th 11 01:13 PM
mitre saw Fred UK diy 10 November 15th 07 01:09 AM
Mitre box Arthur 51 UK diy 3 July 18th 07 07:40 PM
Help with B&Q Mitre saw Mark UK diy 13 October 29th 05 07:29 PM
60 deg cut on Mitre Saw scott Woodworking 3 January 14th 05 05:15 AM