Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default mitre saw

Hello,

Some years ago I bought a (hand) mitre saw from one of the DIY stores.
It allows you to cut any angle between -45 to 0 to +45 degrees: a 90
degree range. However, I would like to mitre some skirting board and
the wall is not straight so I think I require an obtuse angle. Are
there any mitre saws (hand or powered) that allow you to adjust the
angle over a wider, i.e. obtuse, range of angles?

Or is it a matter of marking the angle with a protractor and sawing it
freehand?

Is there a clever way to measure the angle required?

Thanks.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Fred wrote:

Some years ago I bought a (hand) mitre saw from one of the DIY stores.
It allows you to cut any angle between -45 to 0 to +45 degrees: a 90
degree range. However, I would like to mitre some skirting board and
the wall is not straight so I think I require an obtuse angle. Are
there any mitre saws (hand or powered) that allow you to adjust the
angle over a wider, i.e. obtuse, range of angles?

I've got the Stanley mitre (hand) saw. It's pretty decent for small
stuff, but more than one room for skirting would be too much I think. It
has 8 preset angles, and is marked from 0 - 90 both ways, but getting it
to cut at an angle between the presets is difficult/impossible as there
is no lock on the bed between presets.
I'm in the market for an electric saw myself now, so cannot comment on
if they are infinitely adjustable.

Or is it a matter of marking the angle with a protractor and sawing it
freehand?

Too much hard work that is. Keeping it at an angle, as well as straight
down. I struggle to do that.

Is there a clever way to measure the angle required?

Combination square with a protractor , or a carpenters bevel.

Alan.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 12 Nov 2007 19:13:44 +0000, Fred wrote:

Hello,

Some years ago I bought a (hand) mitre saw from one of the DIY stores. It
allows you to cut any angle between -45 to 0 to +45 degrees: a 90 degree
range. However, I would like to mitre some skirting board and the wall is
not straight so I think I require an obtuse angle. Are there any mitre
saws (hand or powered) that allow you to adjust the angle over a wider,
i.e. obtuse, range of angles?

Or is it a matter of marking the angle with a protractor and sawing it
freehand?

Is there a clever way to measure the angle required?

Thanks.

===================================
Various angle finders:

http://www.screwfix.com/search.do;js...h=angle+finder

http://tinyurl.com/2anms4

Try pencil marking the angle all round and use a pull saw for cutting.

Cic.

--
===================================
Using Ubuntu Linux

Posted to uk.d-i-y

For internal corners there is much to be said for cutting one piece square,
scribing the other and cutting to fit with a coping saw.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Fred" wrote in message
Hello,

Some years ago I bought a (hand) mitre saw from one of the DIY stores.
It allows you to cut any angle between -45 to 0 to +45 degrees: a 90
degree range. However, I would like to mitre some skirting board and
the wall is not straight so I think I require an obtuse angle. Are
there any mitre saws (hand or powered) that allow you to adjust the
angle over a wider, i.e. obtuse, range of angles?

Or is it a matter of marking the angle with a protractor and sawing it
freehand?

Is there a clever way to measure the angle required?

Take a look at http://www.magicmitre.co.uk. These can occasionally be
picked up on E Bay and are a regular feature on the QVC DIY slot. I have
only used mine for coving but the instructions say it can be used on
skirtings.

HTH

John

Posted to uk.d-i-y

John wrote:
"Fred" wrote in message
[...]

Following the wall is not a good idea IME. Cutting everything to 45 and
back filling with plaster looks much neater in the end. Creates the
illusion of straightness
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 13 Nov 2007 10:57:21 GMT, Stuart Noble
wrote:

Following the wall is not a good idea IME. Cutting everything to 45 and
back filling with plaster looks much neater in the end. Creates the
illusion of straightness

Hello.

Did you mean just filling behind the skirting board? Plastering the
whole wall straight would be nice but very time consuming and I can't
plaster well!

I suppose filling behind the board might work in my case but if you
had really bad walls, I would think it would look quite strange if the
board stuck out a lot from the wall at one end.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Following the wall is not a good idea IME. Cutting everything to 45 and
back filling with plaster looks much neater in the end. Creates the
illusion of straightness

Hello.

Did you mean just filling behind the skirting board? Plastering the
whole wall straight would be nice but very time consuming and I can't
plaster well!

No, I didn't mean that :-)

I suppose filling behind the board might work in my case but if you
had really bad walls, I would think it would look quite strange if the
board stuck out a lot from the wall at one end.

It doesn't actually, providing you level the filler well at the top of
the skirting and have it the same colour as the wall. The eye tends to
follow the back edge of the skirting. OTOH what stands out like a sore
thumb is skirting that has been forced to follow the contours of the wall.
As far as the angles go, 45 isn't a lot different to 40 or 50 providing
the length at the back of the skirting is accurate. More mitres are
"out" because of this than the actual angle.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Stuart Noble" wrote in message

Following the wall is not a good idea IME. Cutting everything to 45 and
back filling with plaster looks much neater in the end. Creates the
illusion of straightness

Not in a bay window it doesn't! Surely you don't "backfill" skirting board
corners with plaster! As i said I have only used mine for coving and with
excellent results, NO filling at the external corner 'points' or internal
corner joints. I cannot speak too highly of the magic mitre saw for coving
but I have no experience of skirting use, but if it is as good as with
coving then buy, borrow, steal on.

HTH

John

Posted to uk.d-i-y

John wrote:
"Stuart Noble" wrote in message

Following the wall is not a good idea IME. Cutting everything to 45 and
back filling with plaster looks much neater in the end. Creates the
illusion of straightness

Not in a bay window it doesn't!

Same principle

Surely you don't "backfill" skirting board
corners with plaster!

Cut the angles to what they should be i.e. usually 67.5, and backfill.
What else would you do?

As i said I have only used mine for coving and with
excellent results, NO filling at the external corner 'points' or internal
corner joints. I cannot speak too highly of the magic mitre saw for coving
but I have no experience of skirting use, but if it is as good as with
coving then buy, borrow, steal on.

HTH

John

Posted to uk.d-i-y

John wrote:
"Stuart Noble" wrote in message

Following the wall is not a good idea IME. Cutting everything to 45 and
back filling with plaster looks much neater in the end. Creates the
illusion of straightness

Not in a bay window it doesn't!

Same principle

Surely you don't "backfill" skirting board
corners with plaster!

Cut the angles to what they should be i.e. usually 67.5, and backfill.
What else would you do?

Now there lies the answer in the answer!! "usually 67.5" but not always! I
refuse to get into a discussion whether 'my Dad is bigger than your Dad' but
my coving is defiantly the BEST coving installation I have EVER seen. NO
filling whatsoever on ANY of the corners both internal or external, which
can only be put down to the Magic Mitre saw guide.

HTH

John

Mitre box Arthur 51 UK diy 3 July 18th 07 07:40 PM
Help with B&Q Mitre saw Mark UK diy 13 October 29th 05 07:29 PM
60 deg cut on Mitre Saw scott Woodworking 3 January 14th 05 05:15 AM
My New Mitre Saw Sam Berlyn Woodworking 4 November 27th 04 08:10 PM
Mitre Saw SB Woodworking 1 November 19th 04 12:16 PM