Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default shed base

I'm planning on building a shed 3.6m by 2.4m and want a concrete base.
It may have to accommodate a cast iron lathe which probably weighs
500kg.

I want to keep material imports and soil exports to a minimum so am
planning on a 100mm raft with steel reinforcing.

We have sandy soil and quite deep topsoil, I just wonder how much I'll
have to excavate and replace with sub base, any opinions?

AJH
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Consult the Paving Expert

http://www.pavingexpert.com/home.htm

Richard
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, 17 December 2016 12:22:33 UTC, wrote:
I'm planning on building a shed 3.6m by 2.4m and want a concrete base.
It may have to accommodate a cast iron lathe which probably weighs
500kg.

I want to keep material imports and soil exports to a minimum so am
planning on a 100mm raft with steel reinforcing.

We have sandy soil and quite deep topsoil, I just wonder how much I'll
have to excavate and replace with sub base, any opinions?

AJH

I've no clue if piling is an option for such things.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, 17 December 2016 12:22:33 UTC, wrote:
I'm planning on building a shed 3.6m by 2.4m and want a concrete base.
It may have to accommodate a cast iron lathe which probably weighs
500kg.

I want to keep material imports and soil exports to a minimum so am
planning on a 100mm raft with steel reinforcing.

We have sandy soil and quite deep topsoil, I just wonder how much I'll
have to excavate and replace with sub base, any opinions?

AJH

The topsoil will have to be removed.If you don't it will subside.
Backfill with aggregate.
I would make a concrete base for the lathe stood on the subsoil (or compacted aggregate) and surround it with lighter construction for the remainder. (EG timber or paviors).)
Timber is better to be stood on when using the lathe.

Shed base F[_2_] UK diy 12 June 27th 15 11:29 PM
Recommendations for a base for a shed to encourage a long life (ofthe shed!) larkim UK diy 9 March 8th 12 12:52 AM
Shed base David UK diy 0 April 26th 10 11:12 AM
Shed base Arthur 51 UK diy 7 April 22nd 10 03:50 PM
Shed Base Arthur 51 UK diy 7 July 25th 09 04:45 PM