Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Lap top battery Longevity

"whisky-dave" wrote in message
On Monday, 12 December 2016 16:45:11 UTC, bm wrote:
"whisky-dave" wrote in message
On Saturday, 10 December 2016 20:16:17 UTC, Johnny B Good wrote:
On Fri, 09 Dec 2016 13:19:36 +0000, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

In article ,
john west wrote:
There's a lot of information about that if you keep a Laptop
battery
charged between only 80% full and only 40% full, it will be
servicable
over the years for four times as long.

Other information I find says it is the charging and discharging
that
wears the battery out.

The laptop i have (with a built in battery) is mainly used in one
room,
so it is easy to keep it plugged in *all the time* to mains
electricity.

Would it be better to prolong the life of the battery to keep it
plugged in all the time or to go for the 80% - 40% option.
Thanks.

It depends on the charger in the laptop. I have an Acer laptop - not
the
cheapest they did - which cooks the battery if left in the machine.
So
remove it when not needed. A better designed one wouldn't cause
problems.

Such as the (11 year old) Acer Aspire 3660 I've had on permanent
'charge' for the whole of its life to date which seems to still have
around 70% or so of its original battery capacity.

Is there much point in having that sort of setup. Surely it would have
been cheaper and better to have a desktop computer. If it never moves
or
is never removed from its power.

Depends, a laptop has its own UPS.

and downs in that it can be stolen more easily and
damaged more easily and is usually more expensive
for a lower spec'd computer. I'm not sure people,
buy laptops because they have build-in UPS.
I thought they were bought for protability.

Plenty get them now for the convenience around the house.

There isnt a lot in it at the low end price wise now.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Davey wrote:
On Mon, 12 Dec 2016 03:58:08 -0800 (PST)
whisky-dave wrote:

so is
LaptopsDirect a reputable company, if I decide to get a new
battery?

From looking they seem OK, you could try asking on a computer group
see if anyones delt with them before. They 'look' ok having a phone
number. If I were buying a battery I;'d consider them above someone
on ebay with next day despatch from china, even if they were half the
price.

Yes, I'll ask in one of the computer NGs. I agree that China and
battery technology would appear to be a dubious mix, hence my search
for a good reputation supplier.

LaptopsDirect is the same company as ServersDirect, AppliancesDirect,
OtherStuffDirect. It's reasonably well known, based in Huddersfield.

However they're only as good as the manufacturer they choose to source their
batteries from. They appear to sell several different makes - you should
look up the one you want to buy.

Theo
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 12 Dec 2016 15:16:29 -0000, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

In article ,
Davey wrote:
On Mon, 12 Dec 2016 12:35:51 +0000
Bod wrote:

Will there links help? :

Laptops Direct Reviews - 100% Real Reviews from Shoppers Who ...
www.reevoo.com €œ Home €œ All Retailers
Rating: 94% - #3,134 votes
Read Laptops Direct customer reviews, written only by people who
bought at Laptops Direct online. No fake reviews. All reviews are
unedited and published ...

Laptopsdirect Reviews | Customer Service Reviews of Laptopsdirect ....
https://uk.trustpilot.com €œ Categories €œ Electronics
Rating: 7.5/10 - #1,702 reviews
Do you agree with Laptopsdirect's TrustScore? Voice your opinion
today and hear what 1702 customers have already said. |
www.laptopsdirect.co.uk.

Yes, thanks. I had to work a lot harder to find the review on the revoo
site than on the trustpilot site, maybe I can review revoo's website
for them.
So essentially, they look ok, and they say that they offer an OEM
battery, which is an advantage (if true).
Thanks for help.

Just make sure wherever you buy it from has a decent returns policy and
warranty. They're not going to have either if selling rubbish batteries.

I buy batteries from Ebay and have very often got money back for them being utterly ****e (as little as 20% rated capacity!). I always perform a capacity test on a new battery (well not the alkaline ones!)

The other thing sellers lie about is the brightness of LED lights, especially torches.

--
You can ship a 40 lb child UPS 2nd day air for around $60.00, but don't forget the air holes.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

john west wrote:
[...]

Really with a mains lead trailing behind all the time.

There isnt a lot in it at the low end price wise now.

I agree but the screens on the low end range are pretty crap but I suppose if it's just used for ordering from amazon and social media they are OK.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bod wrote:

[...]

So what;s the point in buying ****e battereis then waiting to get a refund and doing the whole process over and over again ?
Why not learn from your own experiences and of course others.

Hoep yuo're not planning a trip on southern rail in the next few days.

I always perform a capacity test on a new battery (well not the alkaline ones!)

The other thing sellers lie about is the brightness of LED lights, especially torches.

--
You can ship a 40 lb child UPS 2nd day air for around $60.00, but don't forget the air holes.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

john west wrote:
[...]

Nope, because they dont need a mains lead quite a bit of the time.

There isnt a lot in it at the low end price wise now.

I agree but the screens on the low end range are pretty crap

Clearly those who hardly ever use desktops
anymore and use laptops instead feel otherwise.

but I suppose if it's just used for ordering from
amazon and social media they are OK.

And clearly for everything else they do too.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bod wrote:

[...]

If I just want a battery for whatever, I don't really care if it's not amazing, I just get some money back or get them in trouble with Ebay and delight in the seller realising he's selling ****e. I do buy decent ones for something I want to last for ages, like a torch to go camping. Only Panasonic batteries are any good. Other makes (including decent brands like Samsung) are only 80% of what they claim. Only Panasonic I've tested as 100% of what it says on the tin.

Hoep yuo're not planning a trip on southern rail in the next few days.

?

--
I can kind of understand why Muslims get so frustrated.
I mean, how many more people are they going to have
Posted to uk.d-i-y

john west wrote:
There's a lot of information about that if you keep a Laptop battery
charged between only 80% full and only 40% full, it will be
servicable over the years for four times as long.

Other information I find says it is the charging and discharging
that wears the battery out.

The laptop i have (with a built in battery) is mainly used in one
room,
so it is easy to keep it plugged in *all the time* to mains
electricity.

Would it be better to prolong the life of the battery to keep it
plugged in all the time or to go for the 80% - 40% option.
Thanks.

It depends on the charger in the laptop. I have an Acer laptop - not
the cheapest they did - which cooks the battery if left in the
machine. So I remove it when not needed. A better designed one
wouldn't cause problems.

Such as the (11 year old) Acer Aspire 3660 I've had on permanent
'charge' for the whole of its life to date which seems to still have
around 70% or so of its original battery capacity.

Is there much point in having that sort of setup. Surely it would have
been cheaper and better to have a desktop computer. If it never moves or
is never removed from its power.

I'd bought it as a diagnostic aid for call out work, usually to sort out
network connectivity issues. Rather than let it languish unused in
between call outs, I decided it could act as a TV Recording Scheduling
conflict resolver by plugging a DVB-T usb stick into one of the usb ports
on the rear panel and running DTVR as my most basic of basic PVR software.

Running DVB-T recording software in a windows environment involved many
compromises and limits (such as the need for one tuner per scheduled
recording to resolve any scheduling conflicts and not being able to
specify a globally set in and out padding whenever there was a string of
back to back programmes to be recorded from a particular "TV channel").

The work-around in this case being to treat the whole period as one huge
programme to be split into its seperate programmes *after* the whole
recording had finally completed, sometimes a whole 5 to 7 hours later!

I figure the battery has lasted this long because of the more
'sympathetic' charge maintenance routine which avoids the "Float
Charging" concept, electing instead to charge up to the 4.2v per cell
level and then leave the battery to slowly decline in voltage over the
several weeks of mains powered use before giving it a 10 or 15 minute
topping up charge.

but it hasn't been used so I don't see the point.

The point being that the laptop can (and did!) manage battery care
rather better than I ever could. :-)

As you can imagine, the chances of 'catching it in the act' of
'charging' on such a low duty cycle are almost zero but I did
eventually see the green battery light change to the red 'charging'
state for a ten or 15 minute period before turning green again after a
few years of ownership. Subsequent to which event, I then paid the
battery charge light a little more attention which allowed me to
witness a few more of these 'topping up' charge events over the next 5
or 6 years.

Sadly, this laptop has rather outlived its usefulness so it simply
sits
perched on top of the filing cabinet where it has spent 99.99% of its
11 year life, plugged into the charger to maintain the battery whilst I
ponder its future (if any). :-(

I have old cardboard boxes in that state too.

Unlike EoLed laptops, they do at least retain their one and only
function (assuming they've been stored in a dry location) so may
eventually prove their worth perhaps even decades later. If you have a
big enough collection you can simply 'flat pack' them and tuck them away
somewhere dry and out of sight. :-)

--
Johnny B Good
Posted to uk.d-i-y

john west wrote:
[...]

But they still keep them topped up in case they do, and they rarely do hence the original question.

There isnt a lot in it at the low end price wise now.

I agree but the screens on the low end range are pretty crap

Clearly those who hardly ever use desktops
anymore and use laptops instead feel otherwise.

No they donlt they use tablets and snartphones.

but I suppose if it's just used for ordering from
amazon and social media they are OK.

And clearly for everything else they do too.

So why do people buy tablets and desktops ?

I guess no ones buying surface pros or ipad pros then.

Perhaps they;ll stop making them soon.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
whisky-dave wrote:
Clearly those who hardly ever use desktops
anymore and use laptops instead feel otherwise.

No they donlt they use tablets and snartphones.

Does a smartphone equate to a desktop in the same way as a zoom lens is
better than a prime lens in your world?

--
*If you don't pay your exorcist you get repossessed.*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 14 December 2016 14:06:35 UTC, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
whisky-dave wrote:
Clearly those who hardly ever use desktops
anymore and use laptops instead feel otherwise.

No they donlt they use tablets and snartphones.

Does a smartphone equate to a desktop in the same way as a zoom lens is
better than a prime lens in your world?

In my world they are not like for like.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

john west wrote:
[...]

All they need to do is charge it in the one place and use
it without being plugged into the mains everywhere else.

Thats what I do with mine, its on the charger
all the time its in the fixed place in the kitchen
and isnt when I use it everywhere else.

That is much better than with a desktop system
which isnt as portable and which has to be plugged
into the mains whenever you do want to use it.

and they rarely do

Rarely do what ? Most dont use their laptop in just
the one place even if it hardly ever leaves the house.

hence the original question.

The original question is about something quite different,
whether to leave it charging all the time when its in the
place where it is charged.

There isnt a lot in it at the low end price wise now.

I agree but the screens on the low end range are pretty crap

Clearly those who hardly ever use desktops
anymore and use laptops instead feel otherwise.

No they donlt

Yes they do.

they use tablets and snartphones.

Plenty dont use them as much as their laptop.

I dont use my table anything like as much as the laptop
and I dont do what I do on my laptop on my smartphone.

but I suppose if it's just used for ordering from
amazon and social media they are OK.

And clearly for everything else they do too.

So why do people buy tablets and desktops ?

Hardly anyone buys desktops anymore.

Tablets are much more portable than laptops
but arent as good when you have to enter more
than trivial amounts of data.

I guess no ones buying surface pros or ipad pros then.

Perhaps they;ll stop making them soon.

Even sillier than you usually manage.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

john west wrote:
[...]

Yes same goes for tablets and smartphones.

Thats what I do with mine, its on the charger
all the time its in the fixed place in the kitchen
and isnt when I use it everywhere else.

Same as my ipad then and my ipod(s)
On the floor under the table.

That is much better than with a desktop system
which isnt as portable and which has to be plugged
into the mains whenever you do want to use it.

my retina imac has always been used on teh same table in the same place
I like a 27" screen and as yet NO laptop comes with a 27" screen.
I;'ve used a laptop with a 17" screen.
I have a 15 & 17 inch screens in my loft that I donlt use.

and they rarely do

Rarely do what ? Most dont use their laptop in just
the one place even if it hardly ever leaves the house.

hence the original question.

The original question is about something quite different,
whether to leave it charging all the time when its in the
place where it is charged.

Why leave it on charge ALL THE TIME ?
if yuo use it away from a power socket how can anyone say leave it on charge ALL THE TIME ?

But I'm not sure what ALL THE TIME means for you an hour a day ?
If a computer is USED ALL the time plugged in that for me means it's not that necessary for it to be protable.

they use tablets and snartphones.

Plenty dont use them as much as their laptop.

What makes you tbhink they have laptops, I see peole walkign along the street using their phone even while driving, why aren;t they using laptops ?

I dont use my table anything like as much as the laptop
and I dont do what I do on my laptop on my smartphone.

I prefer my desktop fopr most things.
I know some that watch movies on their phone I couldn't be bothered.
If I want to wacth a film I'll use my TV or Mac if I have to I prefer to watch such things on a large screen.

but I suppose if it's just used for ordering from
amazon and social media they are OK.

And clearly for everything else they do too.

So why do people buy tablets and desktops ?

Hardly anyone buys desktops anymore.

Only those that want them do yes.

Tablets are much more portable than laptops
but arent as good when you have to enter more
than trivial amounts of data.

Few peole need to enter that much data nowadays.

I guess no ones buying surface pros or ipad pros then.

Perhaps they;ll stop making them soon.

Even sillier than you usually manage.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
On Fri, 09 Dec 2016 13:19:36 +0000, Dave Plowman (News)
wrote:

In article ,
john west wrote:
[...]

And that is why hardly anyone uses desktops anymore in the
home and they use laptops, tablets and smartphones instead.

Thats what I do with mine, its on the charger
all the time its in the fixed place in the kitchen
and isnt when I use it everywhere else.

Same as my ipad then and my ipod(s)
On the floor under the table.

That is much better than with a desktop system
which isnt as portable and which has to be plugged
into the mains whenever you do want to use it.

my retina imac has always been used on teh same table in the same place

And most prefer the extra flexibility you get with laptops and tablets.

I like a 27" screen and as yet NO laptop comes with a 27" screen.

Most clearly dont care given that hardly
anyone has a desktop at home anymore.

I;'ve used a laptop with a 17" screen.
I have a 15 & 17 inch screens in my loft that I donlt use.

and they rarely do

Rarely do what ? Most dont use their laptop in just
the one place even if it hardly ever leaves the house.

hence the original question.

The original question is about something quite different,
whether to leave it charging all the time when its in the
place where it is charged.

Why leave it on charge ALL THE TIME ?

That way its fully charged whenever I need to use it anywhere else.

they use tablets and snartphones.

Plenty dont use them as much as their laptop.

I dont use my table anything like as much as the laptop
and I dont do what I do on my laptop on my smartphone.

I prefer my desktop fopr most things.

Clearly most dont anymore.

but I suppose if it's just used for ordering from
amazon and social media they are OK.

And clearly for everything else they do too.

So why do people buy tablets and desktops ?

Hardly anyone buys desktops anymore.

Tablets are much more portable than laptops
but arent as good when you have to enter more
than trivial amounts of data.

Few peole need to enter that much data nowadays.

Plenty still do with facebook etc.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

whisky-dave wrote:
Clearly those who hardly ever use desktops
anymore and use laptops instead feel otherwise.

No they donlt they use tablets and snartphones.

Does a smartphone equate to a desktop in the same way as a zoom lens is
better than a prime lens in your world?

In my world they are not like for like.

Really? Have you at last found out what that means? Progress - of a sort.

--
*You're never too old to learn something stupid.
Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
whisky-dave wrote:
That is much better than with a desktop system
which isnt as portable and which has to be plugged
into the mains whenever you do want to use it.

my retina imac has always been used on teh same table in the same place
I like a 27" screen and as yet NO laptop comes with a 27" screen.
I;'ve used a laptop with a 17" screen.
I have a 15 & 17 inch screens in my loft that I donlt use.

How come with all these computers you only ever post from work?

--
*What was the best thing before sliced bread?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
On Fri, 09 Dec 2016 13:19:36 +0000, Dave Plowman (News)
wrote:

In article ,
john west wrote:
[...]

Yes so why would anyone worry about the battery life if they left it plugged in all the timne other than from a purely academic point of view.

Thats what I do with mine, its on the charger
all the time its in the fixed place in the kitchen
and isnt when I use it everywhere else.

Same as my ipad then and my ipod(s)
On the floor under the table.

That is much better than with a desktop system
which isnt as portable and which has to be plugged
into the mains whenever you do want to use it.

my retina imac has always been used on teh same table in the same place

And most prefer the extra flexibility you get with laptops and tablets.

Most would choose what works best for them. I kn owpeole that have brought 2nd monitors and mice and a keyboard for their laptop. Why would they do that ?

I like a 27" screen and as yet NO laptop comes with a 27" screen.

Most clearly dont care given that hardly
anyone has a desktop at home anymore.

Makes you wonder why they sell monitors then doesn't it ?

I;'ve used a laptop with a 17" screen.
I have a 15 & 17 inch screens in my loft that I donlt use.

and they rarely do

Rarely do what ? Most dont use their laptop in just
the one place even if it hardly ever leaves the house.

hence the original question.

The original question is about something quite different,
whether to leave it charging all the time when its in the
place where it is charged.

Why leave it on charge ALL THE TIME ?

That way its fully charged whenever I need to use it anywhere else.

Provided it is actualy, at full cahregrather than just indicating full charge.

Have you ever tested it to see how long a full charge lasts ?

but I suppose if it's just used for ordering from
amazon and social media they are OK.

And clearly for everything else they do too.

So why do people buy tablets and desktops ?

Hardly anyone buys desktops anymore.

Tablets are much more portable than laptops
but arent as good when you have to enter more
than trivial amounts of data.

Few people need to enter that much data nowadays.

Plenty still do with facebook etc.

yuo calling facebook data entry I call it entering crap.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
On Fri, 09 Dec 2016 13:19:36 +0000, Dave Plowman (News)
wrote:

In article ,
john west wrote:
[...]

The one I know who has multiple screens on his laptop does
that because he does his share trading on it and needs more
monitors so he can see more charting info for the share trading.

Most who add a mouse to their laptop do that because
they prefer a mouse to the touch pad on the laptop.

Those who add a keyboard to their laptop do that because
they do enough typing to prefer a real keyboard for that.

But that doesnt stop them using just the laptop alone
at times too and that gives them a lot more flexibility
around the house than a desktop system does.

I like a 27" screen and as yet NO laptop comes with a 27" screen.

Most clearly dont care given that hardly
anyone has a desktop at home anymore.

Makes you wonder why they sell monitors then doesn't it ?

Nope.

I;'ve used a laptop with a 17" screen.
I have a 15 & 17 inch screens in my loft that I donlt use.

and they rarely do

Rarely do what ? Most dont use their laptop in just
the one place even if it hardly ever leaves the house.

hence the original question.

The original question is about something quite different,
whether to leave it charging all the time when its in the
place where it is charged.

Why leave it on charge ALL THE TIME ?

That way its fully charged whenever I need to use it anywhere else.

Provided it is actualy, at full cahregrather than just indicating full
charge.

It always is fully charged.

Have you ever tested it to see how long a full charge lasts ?

Corse I have. Thats why I got the double capacity battery for
it because I used to listen to recorded video when bottling
the beer because that can take all day and is rather boring.

I dont do that anymore, now I listen to podcasts
on the smartphone when bottling the beer instead.

I still have the laptop where I bottle the beer and update
the database as I bottle each batch. And I dont do that
in the kitchen where the laptop charger is, I do that in the
other room dedicated to beer brewing and spirits distilling.

but I suppose if it's just used for ordering from
amazon and social media they are OK.

And clearly for everything else they do too.

So why do people buy tablets and desktops ?

Hardly anyone buys desktops anymore.

Tablets are much more portable than laptops
but arent as good when you have to enter more
than trivial amounts of data.

Few people need to enter that much data nowadays.

Plenty still do with facebook etc.

yuo calling facebook data entry I call it entering crap.

Still need typing into whatever system you are using.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 14 December 2016 15:54:09 UTC, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
whisky-dave wrote:
That is much better than with a desktop system
which isnt as portable and which has to be plugged
into the mains whenever you do want to use it.

my retina imac has always been used on teh same table in the same place
I like a 27" screen and as yet NO laptop comes with a 27" screen.
I;'ve used a laptop with a 17" screen.
I have a 15 & 17 inch screens in my loft that I donlt use.

How come with all these computers you only ever post from work?

I don't only ever post from work, mostly I do as I have better things to do at home. I'll get home about 8:15 tonight have a couple of friends coming over just before 9 last night was similar.

This afternoon I was expecting 30 studetns for a circuit building exercise where I judge the winner, just done that but only 8 of the 30 turned up.
During this I have a list of about 30 studetns orders to look through as they type I research what they want and put it on the relivant order forms.

Maybe I should post their requests here see what you come up with.
Square brackets indicate a box that they have typed into a google speardsheet.

Quantity [1] Brief description or URL [Microphone Capsule] order code [doesn't matter]

so what would you order ?

Q from student , Do you have any infra red detectors.
Yes , I say, I keep these in stock, help yuorself to them the order code is listed in the draw they are, in so you can get their PDF.
https://www.rapidonline.com/kingbrig...-diode-58-0320
https://www.rapidonline.com/kingbrig...sistor-58-0325

https://www.rapidonline.com/ir53l-in...-power-58-0112
https://www.rapidonline.com/truopto-...sensor-58-0115

https://www.rapidonline.com/kingbrig...-diode-58-0100

https://www.rapidonline.com/kingbrig...sensor-58-0105

If none of these are suitable then let me know what you want add it to yuor order form and I'll order it. within 2 days.

about 1 week later he adds this to his on-line order form

http://www.appliancesdirect.co.uk/p/...FQkSGwodS_oOMA

and then comes in a day later to ask me when it will arrive as it's urgent.

since starting to type this I've put away 12 soldering irons and stands, had about a dozen student Qs or requests, it;s just that every so often a student doesn;t come to me for 5 or 10mins.

and teh ISS is coming over in about 5mins So if I see that I;ll point it out to them.

4pm is the staff xmas party but I still have a lab to run until 5pm, other staff are free to attened of course.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

whisky-dave wrote:
Clearly those who hardly ever use desktops
anymore and use laptops instead feel otherwise.

No they donlt they use tablets and snartphones.

Does a smartphone equate to a desktop in the same way as a zoom lens is
better than a prime lens in your world?

In my world they are not like for like.

Really? Have you at last found out what that means? Progress - of a sort.

Maybe you should progress too.

ow can a 6mm fisheye lens be like for like with any other lens unless it is a fisheye lens. ?

Do you still think a mini and a rolls royce are like for like too ?

CFL Longevity [email protected] Home Ownership 2 January 13th 10 03:18 AM
dryer longevity Smitty Two Home Repair 9 October 15th 09 08:13 PM
Welders . Longevity-inc kc7cc Metalworking 3 September 18th 09 02:26 PM
Longevity of electrolytics David Nebenzahl Electronics Repair 25 August 24th 09 05:54 AM
CD Roms Longevity Brad Electronics Repair 19 March 29th 06 09:38 PM