Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Here's a conundrum..

Insulation between joists below under floor heating.

Having promised no wall hung radiators I am now stuck with getting the
job done! Ground floor no real problems: grooved insulated sheet to take
the pipes covered with standard chipboard or screed for the new bit.

Upstairs life gets expensive and difficult. All the suppliers call for
insulation below and in contact with the heated floor. In a chalet
bungalow, there is no such thing as a standard floor joist spacing. The
dormer cheeks are double or triple timbered and the intervening space
filled with ladder work on joist hangers. Elsewhere walls have double
supporting timbers.

I have been considering cross battens but this adds a huge cost and the
suggested sizes (30mm x 70mm) are not found off the shelf and
particularly not untreated.

Pre-grooved chipboard is an alternative and cheaper solution. Both
systems call for insulation between the joists and in contact with the
underside of the floor. PIR foam is not cheap, needs careful
cutting/fitting together with supporting battens. Rockwool is cheaper
and easy to cut and fit but... how do you stop it ending up resting on
the ceiling plaster board, light fittings and electrical wiring?

Chicken wire netting? Some sort of cross batten or?? My floor joists are
9" deep and Rockwool 6". Perhaps lengths of plain galvanised fencing
wire stapled between the joists? Any impact on wi-fi transmission?

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Tim Lamb" wrote in message

[...]

When we did up the house and holiday cottages, I bought rolls of garden type
green nylon netting off ebay, and stapled it to the joists, laying
insulation batts suspended by it.

Andrew

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/6/2016 10:37 PM, Andrew Mawson wrote:
"Tim Lamb" wrote in message

[...]

I was going to suggest string rather than wire, but I like that idea
even more.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Yes I've seen that orange netting often used around peoples new driveways
for stopping public walking on wet cement. Tat stuff is used by construction
companies by the roll and then tossed away cos its cheap, Used indoors it
should last for ages.
Brian

--
----- -
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please!
"Andrew Mawson" wrote in message
news
"Tim Lamb" wrote in message

[...]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 6 December 2016 22:26:03 UTC, Tim Lamb wrote:
[...]

Rigid foam bats can be bought far more cheaply as "seconds".
(Minor damage)
Just Google "insulation boards seconds" to find some local toyou.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message ,
newshound writes
"Tim Lamb" wrote in message

Insulation between joists below under floor heating.

When we did up the house and holiday cottages, I bought rolls of garden
type green nylon netting off ebay, and stapled it to the joists, laying
insulation batts suspended by it.

Andrew

I was going to suggest string rather than wire, but I like that idea
even more.

OK chaps. Several ideas to investigate there.

The green nylon garden netting with wide spacing for Pea and Bean
supports is not UV stable but I guess that is not a problem between
floors.

Staples with soft wire zig zag? Easy to do in modest lengths.

Seconds PIR I had not considered but it would need to be hugely cheaper
as I estimate 150mm Rockwool is around a quarter the cost of 75mm foam.
And there is still the cutting plus support battens.

I suppose one has to consider fire risks and any impact on through
ceiling mounted light fittings.

Architect site meeting tomorrow. I'll run this by him.

Thanks

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 6 Dec 2016 22:25:53 +0000, Tim Lamb
wrote:

Upstairs life gets expensive and difficult. All the suppliers call for
insulation below and in contact with the heated floor. In a chalet
bungalow, there is no such thing as a standard floor joist spacing. The
dormer cheeks are double or triple timbered and the intervening space
filled with ladder work on joist hangers. Elsewhere walls have double
supporting timbers.

The upstairs under floor heating here has the heating pipes clipped in
thin aluminium sheets to act as heat spreaders. The heat spreaders
were cut to fit odd shapes. Insulation is fibreglass laid below them.
The flooring chipboard is fixed on top.

Upstairs under floor heating is generally much less critical than
downstairs as the downstairs heat rises and (assuming a well insulated
house) keeps the upper floor at a constant and slightly lower
temperature than downstairs even with no upstairs heating.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

I'm struggling to see the point of much underfloor insulation upstairs. Upstairs UFH will add a limited amount of heat to downstairs, and downstairs UFH compensates accordingly.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Lamb explained :
? Any impact on wi-fi transmission?

It will block, or severally reduce the range.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Harry Bloomfield
writes
Tim Lamb explained :
? Any impact on wi-fi transmission?

It will block, or severally reduce the range.

There is always Devolo as I don't know of any radio hams within 400m.

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/12/2016 22:37, Andrew Mawson wrote:

When we did up the house and holiday cottages, I bought rolls of garden
type green nylon netting off ebay, and stapled it to the joists, laying
insulation batts suspended by it.

Andrew

I did similar ... just put the aluminium reflector foil under the pipes
(industrial bacofoil) then 150mm rockwool pressed in place .. and used
a lattice of nylon cord zig zagging from joist to joist ... stapling in
place on the joists.

By having rockwool slightly oversize it self supported itself ... cord
just stops sag over time.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Lamb wrote:
[...]

Insulation isn't needed for upstairs floors, any heat 'lost' isn't actually
lost - it's just transferred downstairs into the living space which will
reduce the amount of power required to heat that space.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Phil L
writes
Rockwool is cheaper
and easy to cut and fit but... how do you stop it ending up resting on
the ceiling plaster board, light fittings and electrical wiring?

Chicken wire netting? Some sort of cross batten or?? My floor joists
are 9" deep and Rockwool 6". Perhaps lengths of plain galvanised
fencing wire stapled between the joists? Any impact on wi-fi
transmission?

Insulation isn't needed for upstairs floors, any heat 'lost' isn't actually
lost - it's just transferred downstairs into the living space which will
reduce the amount of power required to heat that space.

You are right of course but I think this is more to do with heat
management in local zones. Not much point in having individual roomstats
if the whole house is thermally linked.

--
Tim Lamb

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 06 Dec 2016 22:25:53 +0000, Tim Lamb wrote:

[...]

How about fibreglass inside a plastic sleeve - as used for insulation
everywhere?

The sleeve holds it together so it doesn't need very much support.

Not much good in your case, but if insulating a ceiling above plaster
board it is very easy to staple the plastic to the joists which holds it
in place until you get the plasterboard up.

String or netting stapled below the insulation should work well. Doesn't
have to be very robust with squishy fibreglass rolls.

Cheers

Dave R

---

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , David
writes
[...]

I'm going with the garden netting stapled to the joists.

Interesting conversation with the architect concerning fire protection.
Apparently 12mm plasterboard has only a 20 minute rating. I asked if the
glass fibre would stretch this to the required 30 minutes and avoid the
need to add 9mm board over the existing.

He thought it might be worth running by building control but reckoned
that the 9" joists might be good for the extra time anyway.

Cheers

Dave R

--
Tim Lamb

A little conundrum for you GB UK diy 113 April 1st 16 06:02 PM
Cap conundrum II Gramps' shop Woodworking 1 January 29th 14 10:32 PM
OT Electrical Conundrum DonkeyHody Woodworking 48 January 7th 07 03:13 PM
Thermostat Conundrum James \Cubby\ Culbertson Home Repair 21 December 4th 06 10:48 PM
Electrical conundrum NikV UK diy 5 September 17th 06 02:38 AM