Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Recommended random orbital sander?

(Sorry, second posting but first seems to have failed).

Looking for a mains random orbital sander for doors / furniture (not
floors).

Won't get a lot of use so probably don't need "trade" rating. My old
Lidl cheapie was fine until I lent it to someone doing a large
renovation, which burned it out.

I see Wickes has a Makita for £80. I think I would want variable speed
again.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/12/2016 11:39, newshound wrote:
(Sorry, second posting but first seems to have failed).

Looking for a mains random orbital sander for doors / furniture (not
floors).

Won't get a lot of use so probably don't need "trade" rating. My old
Lidl cheapie was fine until I lent it to someone doing a large
renovation, which burned it out.

I see Wickes has a Makita for £80. I think I would want variable speed
again.

My Bosch orbitals with variable speed have lasted over 30 years, the
only breakdown on one was the bearing that jiggles the pad failed and
broke up, bearing shop had one.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/6/2016 2:33 PM, MrCheerful wrote:
On 06/12/2016 11:39, newshound wrote:
(Sorry, second posting but first seems to have failed).

Looking for a mains random orbital sander for doors / furniture (not
floors).

Won't get a lot of use so probably don't need "trade" rating. My old
Lidl cheapie was fine until I lent it to someone doing a large
renovation, which burned it out.

I see Wickes has a Makita for £80. I think I would want variable speed
again.

My Bosch orbitals with variable speed have lasted over 30 years, the
only breakdown on one was the bearing that jiggles the pad failed and
broke up, bearing shop had one.

Thanks. This seems to have decent reviews

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Bosch-PEX-R...orbital+sander

and is probably preferrable to the £40 single speed one.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/12/2016 16:26, newshound wrote:
On 12/6/2016 2:33 PM, MrCheerful wrote:
On 06/12/2016 11:39, newshound wrote:
(Sorry, second posting but first seems to have failed).

Looking for a mains random orbital sander for doors / furniture (not
floors).

Won't get a lot of use so probably don't need "trade" rating. My old
Lidl cheapie was fine until I lent it to someone doing a large
renovation, which burned it out.

I see Wickes has a Makita for £80. I think I would want variable speed
again.

My Bosch orbitals with variable speed have lasted over 30 years, the
only breakdown on one was the bearing that jiggles the pad failed and
broke up, bearing shop had one.

Thanks. This seems to have decent reviews

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Bosch-PEX-R...orbital+sander

and is probably preferrable to the £40 single speed one.

Those are the ones I have, but an earlier model, very good and gets used
a lot. I also use air DA sanders if the job is very big, since they
have a larger disc.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/12/2016 11:39, newshound wrote:
(Sorry, second posting but first seems to have failed).

Looking for a mains random orbital sander for doors / furniture (not
floors).

Won't get a lot of use so probably don't need "trade" rating. My old
Lidl cheapie was fine until I lent it to someone doing a large
renovation, which burned it out.

I see Wickes has a Makita for £80. I think I would want variable speed
again.

I bought B&D model BD190E .. many years ago (at least 20) ... still
going fine ...
It has a decent elipse to it and variable speed.
Takes 5" velcro discs

So have to recommend B&D on this item.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/12/2016 14:33, MrCheerful wrote:
On 06/12/2016 11:39, newshound wrote:
(Sorry, second posting but first seems to have failed).

Looking for a mains random orbital sander for doors / furniture (not
floors).

Won't get a lot of use so probably don't need "trade" rating. My old
Lidl cheapie was fine until I lent it to someone doing a large
renovation, which burned it out.

I see Wickes has a Makita for £80. I think I would want variable speed
again.

My Bosch orbitals with variable speed have lasted over 30 years, the
only breakdown on one was the bearing that jiggles the pad failed and
broke up, bearing shop had one.

I have a Bosch palm sander - bearings failed on that as well ... must be
a Bosch weak point.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/6/2016 5:13 PM, rick wrote:
On 06/12/2016 11:39, newshound wrote:
(Sorry, second posting but first seems to have failed).

Looking for a mains random orbital sander for doors / furniture (not
floors).

Won't get a lot of use so probably don't need "trade" rating. My old
Lidl cheapie was fine until I lent it to someone doing a large
renovation, which burned it out.

I see Wickes has a Makita for £80. I think I would want variable speed
again.

I bought B&D model BD190E .. many years ago (at least 20) ... still
going fine ...
It has a decent elipse to it and variable speed.
Takes 5" velcro discs

So have to recommend B&D on this item.

OK, thanks to all. I have a Bosch circ saw and B&D angle grinder both
going strong after 40 fairly hard years, so certainly agree that their
old stuff is well made.

In fact I just ordered the Bosch, so will have to keep an eye on the
bearings, but at least that is one subject which I *do* know something
about. I used to know the research directors of RHP and then NSK (uk),
and have a couple of acquaintances at Imperial College and Westland
Helicopters (or whatever they call themselves now).