Dave W

Default Random Orbital sander question

I have a Rockwell ROS that I have used very little because it makes terrible
swirl marks on the work when starting. I have tried pulling the trigger
with the disk in contact with the work and also slowly placing the running
sander on the work. In both cases the initial swirls are a problem. Is
there something I am missing?
Thanks in advance.
Dave

Leon

"Dave W" wrote in message
I have a Rockwell ROS that I have used very little because it makes
terrible swirl marks on the work when starting. I have tried pulling the
trigger with the disk in contact with the work and also slowly placing the
running sander on the work. In both cases the initial swirls are a
problem. Is there something I am missing?
Thanks in advance.
Dave

I could be wrong here but did the sander ever work like a ROS? I was not
aware that ROS's existed when Rockwell was still selling tools.

Dave W

You are right, it is a Porter Cable. Yes it works like a ROS but makes 5
inch swirls where it starts.

no(SPAM)vasys

Dave W wrote:
You are right, it is a Porter Cable. Yes it works like a ROS but makes 5
inch swirls where it starts.

Swirl marks from a ROS usually indicate your moving the sander too fast,
that is not allowing enough time for the random orbit to randomize the
scratches.

--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA

(Remove -SPAM- to send email)

OT Guns more Guns Cliff Metalworking 519 December 12th 04 05:52 AM
What Random Orbital Sander andrewpreece UK diy 3 December 10th 04 10:25 PM
Question about home made thickness sander Larry Bud Woodworking 10 November 23rd 04 07:52 AM
Question on Ryobi 16/32 Sander George Gibeau Woodworking 7 October 10th 04 03:23 PM
I need a good Random Orbit Sander... Edwin Pawlowski Woodworking 12 August 27th 03 03:14 AM