Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Blinds for double Glazed Windows.

I have Anglian double glazed windows which have were fitted about twelve
years ago as I understand it. I have been considering getting blinds for
some of them and recently read an "intu" brochure giving details thereof. My
understanding if that the frames are held in place with thin metal or
plastic plates inserted between the glass and the interior window frame.
What I was wondering is whether this may affect the integrity of the inner
seals? The windows are often subjected to stormy weather with rain coming
almost horizontally at them.

I would be most helpful if anyone with experience of blinds of this nature
could advise me as to whether or not my concerns are justified.

Alaric

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Alaric" wrote in message news
I have Anglian double glazed windows which have were fitted about twelve
years ago as I understand it. I have been considering getting blinds for
some of them and recently read an "intu" brochure giving details thereof. My
understanding if that the frames are held in place with thin metal or
plastic plates inserted between the glass and the interior window frame.
What I was wondering is whether this may affect the integrity of the inner
seals? The windows are often subjected to stormy weather with rain coming
almost horizontally at them.

I would be most helpful if anyone with experience of blinds of this nature
could advise me as to whether or not my concerns are justified.

Alaric

Sorry about the typing error. Second para first word should read "It".

Alaric

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 05/12/2016 16:16, Alaric wrote:
I have Anglian double glazed windows which have were fitted about twelve
years ago as I understand it. I have been considering getting blinds for
some of them and recently read an "intu" brochure giving details
thereof. My understanding if that the frames are held in place with thin
metal or plastic plates inserted between the glass and the interior
window frame. What I was wondering is whether this may affect the
integrity of the inner seals? The windows are often subjected to stormy
weather with rain coming almost horizontally at them.

I would be most helpful if anyone with experience of blinds of this
nature could advise me as to whether or not my concerns are justified.

I fitted either the same or something identical to UPVC doors in a
rental "lodge" last year.

I'm sure the seals simply moulded themselves around the clips and there
wasn't any detectable gap.
These were on brand new doors though so the rubber seals were new and
very flexible. Yours might have stiffened a little.

The main consideration is that the glass is sealed on the outside by the
beading/rubbers. Sliding a thin bit of plastic between glazing and
internal rubber is, if anything, going to slightly (very very slightly)
increase pressure on the external rubbers which I'd suggest would make
them insignificantly "more" effective.

Hope that helps
Cheers - Pete

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
"Alaric" writes:
I have Anglian double glazed windows which have were fitted about twelve
years ago as I understand it. I have been considering getting blinds for
some of them and recently read an "intu" brochure giving details thereof. My
understanding if that the frames are held in place with thin metal or
plastic plates inserted between the glass and the interior window frame.
What I was wondering is whether this may affect the integrity of the inner
seals? The windows are often subjected to stormy weather with rain coming
almost horizontally at them.

I would be most helpful if anyone with experience of blinds of this nature
could advise me as to whether or not my concerns are justified.

These are common in offices in glazed partition walls, but in that case
the units don't need to be sealed.

However, I think I've seen some where they are in a sealed unit, and
the slats' motion is done via magnets through the glass. No idea if
that's how the ones you've seen work though.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 05/12/2016 17:59, Andrew Gabriel wrote:
In article ,
"Alaric" writes:
[...]

I believe the ones mentioned attach to the inside edges of the glass and
are in the room, rather than between the glass.
The between the glass type is a lovely option when it is available, my
friend has one made in the 60's in Sweden, not vacuumed between the
panes, but a good air gap and gives good insulation, wooden frame, tlt
and turn, very advanced compared to what was available then (and now)
over here.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Alaric" wrote in message news
I have Anglian double glazed windows which have were fitted about twelve
years ago as I understand it. I have been considering getting blinds for
some of them and recently read an "intu" brochure giving details thereof. My
understanding if that the frames are held in place with thin metal or
plastic plates inserted between the glass and the interior window frame.
What I was wondering is whether this may affect the integrity of the inner
seals? The windows are often subjected to stormy weather with rain coming
almost horizontally at them.

I would be most helpful if anyone with experience of blinds of this nature
could advise me as to whether or not my concerns are justified.

Alaric

My thanks to all of you who responded with your comments.

Alaric

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Alaric" writes:
[...]

I've seen office buildings with those. After several years a lot are broken and unreachable, they look dreadful.

NT