mike hide

Default double glazed windows

We have single glazed stanly sliding windows, I am thinking about making
some thermally efficient windows and was looking for design tips to achieve
that end . Looking around, see some that reduce noise levels more than
others and was curious what the attributes of these are . any info or groups
/web sites that could provide info would be appreciated .....mjh

Our certainteed windows blocked the noisy skateboarders when installed
5 years ago. Pleasant surprise to say the least!

Paul O.

"mike hide" wrote in message
. ..
We have single glazed stanly sliding windows, I am thinking about making
some thermally efficient windows and was looking for design tips to
achieve that end . Looking around, see some that reduce noise levels more
than others and was curious what the attributes of these are . any info or
groups /web sites that could provide info would be appreciated .....mjh
Try alt.home.repair. Thats a pretty good group for anything thing to do
with the home.

--
Paul O.

Brian Elfert

"mike hide" writes:

We have single glazed stanly sliding windows, I am thinking about making
some thermally efficient windows and was looking for design tips to achieve
that end . Looking around, see some that reduce noise levels more than
others and was curious what the attributes of these are . any info or groups
/web sites that could provide info would be appreciated .....mjh

The glass in double pane windows is a single sealed unit consisting of the
two panes of glass with a spacer around the edge. An inert gas is inside
the sealed unit.

You can certainly make your own double pane windows, but you'll need to
buy the sealed glass from a glass shop. I remember it cost my dad like
$150 to have one replaced 15 years ago.

Personally, I would never make my own windows unless you really, really
like the look of real wood windows. Wood windows require constant upkeep.
A good vinyl or aluminum window should last just about forever with little
upkeep.

Brian Elfert