Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Drill for (mainly) wood

I need to replace my 25-year old Bosch drill.

My immediate project is fitting 15 internal doors, so it'll be used mostly
for drilling out the latches. Even in the future, I doubt I'll need to
drill concrete/stone much.
Am I right in thinking SDS drills aren't suited to woodwork? Should I just
get another non-SDS hammer drill?

Any advice appreciated.

Neil

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, 2 December 2016 20:31:08 UTC, Neil wrote:
I need to replace my 25-year old Bosch drill.

My immediate project is fitting 15 internal doors, so it'll be used mostly
for drilling out the latches. Even in the future, I doubt I'll need to
drill concrete/stone much.
Am I right in thinking SDS drills aren't suited to woodwork? Should I just
get another non-SDS hammer drill?

Any advice appreciated.

Neil

SDS are not suitable for drilling wood, except in a rough inefficient way. Nor is hammer drilling, but that will suffice for some relatively soft masonry. SDS is the mutt's nuts for masonry.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message

SDS are not suitable for drilling wood, except in a rough inefficient way.
Nor is hammer drilling, but that will suffice for some relatively soft
masonry. SDS is the mutt's nuts for masonry.

NT

Thanks for that. As I suspected.
Seeing as my Bosch has lasted me for so long, I'll probably go for another
small blue one.

Neil

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02/12/2016 20:31, Neil wrote:
I need to replace my 25-year old Bosch drill.

My immediate project is fitting 15 internal doors, so it'll be used
mostly for drilling out the latches. Even in the future, I doubt I'll
need to drill concrete/stone much.
Am I right in thinking SDS drills aren't suited to woodwork? Should I
just get another non-SDS hammer drill?

Any advice appreciated.

Neil

The SDS hammer function can be turned off on most(all) SDS drills
however, you still need SDS drills with the slotted shank. In my
experience SDS chuck adapters are the choice of last resort when using
'normal' drill bits.

Maybe consider a decent cordless drill (and a spare batteries).

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"alan_m" wrote in message ...

The SDS hammer function can be turned off on most(all) SDS drills
however, you still need SDS drills with the slotted shank. In my
experience SDS chuck adapters are the choice of last resort when using
'normal' drill bits.

Maybe consider a decent cordless drill (and a spare batteries).

Thanks for your reply.
I already have a decent (Makita) cordless, I'm wanting something to replace
my old corded drill.

Neil

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02/12/16 21:28, Neil wrote:

wrote in message

SDS are not suitable for drilling wood, except in a rough inefficient
way. Nor is hammer drilling, but that will suffice for some relatively
soft masonry. SDS is the mutt's nuts for masonry.

NT

Thanks for that. As I suspected.
Seeing as my Bosch has lasted me for so long, I'll probably go for
another small blue one.

Neil

You don't have to use an SDS drill in hammer mode though.
SDS after all only refers to the chuck design...

http://www.its.co.uk/blog/buying-gui...-an-sds-drill/

too dark to read.

Groucho Marx

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, 2 December 2016 21:35:37 UTC, alan_m wrote:
On 02/12/2016 20:31, Neil wrote:
I need to replace my 25-year old Bosch drill.

My immediate project is fitting 15 internal doors, so it'll be used
mostly for drilling out the latches. Even in the future, I doubt I'll
need to drill concrete/stone much.
Am I right in thinking SDS drills aren't suited to woodwork? Should I
just get another non-SDS hammer drill?

Any advice appreciated.

Neil

The SDS hammer function can be turned off on most(all) SDS drills
however, you still need SDS drills with the slotted shank. In my
experience SDS chuck adapters are the choice of last resort when using
'normal' drill bits.

Maybe consider a decent cordless drill (and a spare batteries).

SDS with jacobs chuck adaptor is a lousy option for drilling wood. The drill bits waggle, the drill's overly large & heavy, and you've only got to activate sds hammering once in error and the adaptor shatters.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02/12/2016 21:41, Neil wrote:

"alan_m" wrote in message ...

The SDS hammer function can be turned off on most(all) SDS drills
however, you still need SDS drills with the slotted shank. In my
experience SDS chuck adapters are the choice of last resort when using
'normal' drill bits.

Maybe consider a decent cordless drill (and a spare batteries).

Thanks for your reply.
I already have a decent (Makita) cordless, I'm wanting something to
replace my old corded drill.

What does the corded do for you the cordless does not?

(just trying to get a handle on what you actually want to do with the
corded drill)

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , The Natural Philosopher
writes
On 02/12/16 21:28, Neil wrote:

wrote in message

SDS are not suitable for drilling wood, except in a rough inefficient
way. Nor is hammer drilling, but that will suffice for some relatively
soft masonry. SDS is the mutt's nuts for masonry.

NT

Thanks for that. As I suspected.
Seeing as my Bosch has lasted me for so long, I'll probably go for
another small blue one.

Neil

You don't have to use an SDS drill in hammer mode though.
SDS after all only refers to the chuck design...

http://www.its.co.uk/blog/buying-gui...-an-sds-drill/

Speaking of SDS chucks... is the design common to other manufacturers
drills?

I have a Kango 340 where the plastic cover/release got fried during an
overlong dry core boring job. (78mm through a granite kerb stone).

Google struggles to find any reference to this model for spares.

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02/12/16 21:28, Neil wrote:

wrote in message

SDS are not suitable for drilling wood, except in a rough inefficient
way. Nor is hammer drilling, but that will suffice for some relatively
soft masonry. SDS is the mutt's nuts for masonry.

NT

Thanks for that. As I suspected.
Seeing as my Bosch has lasted me for so long, I'll probably go for
another small blue one.

Neil

You don't have to use an SDS drill in hammer mode though.
SDS after all only refers to the chuck design...

http://www.its.co.uk/blog/buying-gui...-an-sds-drill/

Speaking of SDS chucks... is the design common to other manufacturers
drills?

On the bit end of the chuck, yup these days most will be so called SDS+
chucks and will accept any SDS bit you buy. On the machine end of the
chuck they may well be proprietary.

Some SDS drills also have interchangeable chucks to allow you to fit a
normal Jacobs style one for conventional drilling (fitting will normally
preclude use of hammer action). These are better than the plug in SDS
chucks since they keep the overall length down, and eliminate the wobble
factor that you get with SDS.

I have a Kango 340 where the plastic cover/release got fried during an
overlong dry core boring job. (78mm through a granite kerb stone).

Google struggles to find any reference to this model for spares.

How about:

http://www.wzservice.de/query.php?cp...D=340&gpid= 0

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
John Rumm wrote:
What does the corded do for you the cordless does not?

(just trying to get a handle on what you actually want to do with the
corded drill

I found when fitting mortice locks using high speed wood bits, the
batteries went flat pretty quickly. Also cordless may not run at an ideal
speed for the various wood cutting bits I have.

Really, if someone was happy with a basic mains drill I'd not persuade
them to go cordless. As a mains drill will invariably be a better drill
for a lot less money.

--
*Your kid may be an honours student, but you're still an idiot.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

On 02/12/2016 21:35, alan_m wrote:

The SDS hammer function can be turned off on most(all) SDS drills
however, you still need SDS drills with the slotted shank. In my
experience SDS chuck adapters are the choice of last resort when using
'normal' drill bits.

Don't you also get some springiness on an SDS drill? Or does that go
away when you turn off the hammer action?

The springiness would not be at all helpful for accurate woodworking.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message

I found when fitting mortice locks using high speed wood bits, the
batteries went flat pretty quickly. Also cordless may not run at an ideal
speed for the various wood cutting bits I have.

Really, if someone was happy with a basic mains drill I'd not persuade
them to go cordless. As a mains drill will invariably be a better drill
for a lot less money.

This exactly.
As I said earlier, I already have a decent cordless, but no point draining
the battery when I can use a mains one and use the cordless for the lighter
stuff.

Thanks all for the replies.

Neil

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Neil wrote:

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message

I found when fitting mortice locks using high speed wood bits, the
batteries went flat pretty quickly. Also cordless may not run at an
ideal speed for the various wood cutting bits I have.

Really, if someone was happy with a basic mains drill I'd not persuade
them to go cordless. As a mains drill will invariably be a better drill
for a lot less money.

This exactly. As I said earlier, I already have a decent cordless, but
no point draining the battery when I can use a mains one and use the
cordless for the lighter stuff.

Thanks all for the replies.

If you're not in a rush, keep an eye out for Lidl and Aldi offers. Their
power tools tend to be excellent value for money. IMHO, much better than
shed budget brands.

--
*Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message

If you're not in a rush, keep an eye out for Lidl and Aldi offers. Their
power tools tend to be excellent value for money. IMHO, much better than
shed budget brands.

I just ordered one of these:
https://www.howetools.co.uk/bosch-gs...-keyless-chuck

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , John
Rumm writes
[...]

http://www.wzservice.de/query.php?cp...4703450dfb&cp_
pid=1502822&cp_filter=1&lid=4&fps%5Bfts%5D=340&gp id=0

That's the one:-) I'm using Google (UK)

All the bits I need are priced at 1.25e

I thought Sauer made guns?

I'll compare their exploded drawing with other manufacturers rather than
rush off an order.

Thanks.

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Jim Jim is offline

Tim Lamb Wrote in message:
In message , John
Rumm writes
[...]

Methinks he jests.... :-D
--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/

Source for wood drill bits jim UK diy 7 October 20th 08 09:57 PM
sds drill with concrete spade bit on wood? jun Woodworking 0 May 9th 08 02:57 AM
drill bit,drill rod,core barrel,core drilling tools, drill tube, DTH hammer and bit, drag bit, thread bit, taper bit,taper rod,integral drill rod,drill steel, button bit, shank adapter,extension rod, speed rod, rock drill, handheld ,pneumatic, motor- [email protected] Home Ownership 0 September 19th 06 03:57 AM
How do I drill 90 degrees into wood without a drill press? Bruce K. Home Repair 16 June 24th 05 04:12 PM
Burning wood with drill press Thomas Mitchell Woodworking 7 July 24th 03 01:15 PM