Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Peeling off backing tape

I'm taping over the gaps between kingspan with aluminium tape,
I cut off 6 inches
then spend an age scratching at the end with fingernails
and tearing it a bit to separate off the backing tape...
there must be an easier way...
how?
[george]
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 01/12/2016 20:10, DICEGEORGE wrote:
I'm taping over the gaps between kingspan with aluminium tape,
I cut off 6 inches
then spend an age scratching at the end with fingernails
and tearing it a bit to separate off the backing tape...
there must be an easier way...
how?
[george]

I have some here and just checked the way I do it, I start it off by
stroking the top of the tape toward the rest of the length of tape using
the pad of the thumb, this picks up and turns over the end of the
aluminium tape a little allowing you to grab the backing and away you go.
You can also get aluminium tape without backing, but it gets to be fun
to use as it immediately ties itself in knots
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
DICEGEORGE writes:
I'm taping over the gaps between kingspan with aluminium tape,
I cut off 6 inches
then spend an age scratching at the end with fingernails
and tearing it a bit to separate off the backing tape...
there must be an easier way...
how?

Wipe the pad of a finger across a corner to bend the aluminium
side back on itself, and the backing separates from it to spring
back straight, whilst the aluminium remains bent back. You can
then pull them apart from there (i.e. start by peeling the
aluminium off the backing, rather than peeling the backing off
the aluminium IYSWIM).

It helps if you have some fingernails.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/3/2016 10:04 AM, Andrew Gabriel wrote:
In article ,
DICEGEORGE writes:
I'm taping over the gaps between kingspan with aluminium tape,
I cut off 6 inches
then spend an age scratching at the end with fingernails
and tearing it a bit to separate off the backing tape...
there must be an easier way...
how?

Wipe the pad of a finger across a corner to bend the aluminium
side back on itself, and the backing separates from it to spring
back straight, whilst the aluminium remains bent back. You can
then pull them apart from there (i.e. start by peeling the
aluminium off the backing, rather than peeling the backing off
the aluminium IYSWIM).

It helps if you have some fingernails.

I sometimes use a craft knife applied to the end of the paper side.