Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default How can I sense hot water flow?

Our kitchen hot water tap is always getting left on because it is low flow and you cannot hear it running - and there is no point in shouting at the family because there is only two of us here and we are both guilty. And, yes - I've shouted at her and I've shouted at myself- all to no avail.

So, I can do electronics and micro-processors and I thought there is a solution there, but putting a timer, a sensor on the hot water pipe and a bleeper is not going to work as the pipe will remain hot long after the tap has been put off - ditto doing that on the waste pipe. So I need a flow sensor to detect the tap has been shut off so that the bleeper doesn't start falsely and to stop it immediately when it does do its duty. But is there something inexpensive that will do that ?

Thanks for any ideas.
Rob

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26/11/16 23:14, Rob Graham wrote:
Our kitchen hot water tap is always getting left on because it is low flow and you cannot hear it running - and there is no point in shouting at the family because there is only two of us here and we are both guilty. And, yes - I've shouted at her and I've shouted at myself- all to no avail.

So, I can do electronics and micro-processors and I thought there is a solution there, but putting a timer, a sensor on the hot water pipe and a bleeper is not going to work as the pipe will remain hot long after the tap has been put off - ditto doing that on the waste pipe. So I need a flow sensor to detect the tap has been shut off so that the bleeper doesn't start falsely and to stop it immediately when it does do its duty. But is there something inexpensive that will do that ?

Thanks for any ideas.
Rob

I THINK that a plastic pipe with a couple of electrodes inside and a
permanent magnet will detect flow

the water becomes a basic generators

foolish, and by the rulers as useful.

(Seneca the Younger, 65 AD)

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Lee Lee is offline

On 26/11/2016 23:14, Rob Graham wrote:
Our kitchen hot water tap is always getting left on because it is low flow and you cannot hear it running - and there is no point in shouting at the family because there is only two of us here and we are both guilty. And, yes - I've shouted at her and I've shouted at myself- all to no avail.

So, I can do electronics and micro-processors and I thought there is a solution there, but putting a timer, a sensor on the hot water pipe and a bleeper is not going to work as the pipe will remain hot long after the tap has been put off - ditto doing that on the waste pipe. So I need a flow sensor to detect the tap has been shut off so that the bleeper doesn't start falsely and to stop it immediately when it does do its duty. But is there something inexpensive that will do that ?

Thanks for any ideas.
Rob

There are loads of cheap flow switches about, just a couple of examples.
http://www.banggood.com/search/938617.html
http://www.banggood.com/search/1071628.html

Big Clive did a tear down of one similar to one of these if you want to
search YouTube for it.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

get a concussive tap and adjust the shut off to a reasonable period
Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

If it's a stainless steel sink, remove the damping material from the
bottom of the sink. Then you'll be able to hear the water hitting it?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Brian Gaff formulated the question :
I think such a low flow might be a bit of a challenge for most of the ones
I've seen.

Brian

--

A plastic paddle or propellor in the pipe, with a magnet moulded into
the paddle and an Hall Effect sensor on the outside casing. You can buy
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Harry Bloomfield wrote:

Brian Gaff formulated the question :

I think such a low flow might be a bit of a challenge for most of the ones
I've seen.

A plastic paddle or propellor in the pipe, with a magnet moulded into
the paddle and an Hall Effect sensor on the outside casing. You can buy
them for pennies on Ebay. They work with very little flow volume.

I'd noticed how cheap they were, was going to suggest them for the
central heating status panel whoever suggested that a few weeks ago,
rather than relying on the electrical head of 2 or 3 port valves,
actually sense the flow to know if the valve has operated ....

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26/11/16 23:14, Rob Graham wrote:
Our kitchen hot water tap is always getting left on because it is low
flow and you cannot hear it running - and there is no point in
shouting at the family because there is only two of us here and we
are both guilty. And, yes - I've shouted at her and I've shouted at
myself- all to no avail.

Use an electrically operated water valve fitted under the sink and a
push button. Press and hold for continuous stream, press 2 times to run
until temperature warm enough, press 3 times for pre-measured amount to
fill washing up bowl.

Actually, we need to do something like that for someone who is always
leaving the gas rings burning away after cooking has been done.

--
Adrian C
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Burns formulated the question :
I'd noticed how cheap they were, was going to suggest them for the central
heating status panel whoever suggested that a few weeks ago, rather than
relying on the electrical head of 2 or 3 port valves, actually sense the flow
to know if the valve has operated ....

That was me - Installed and working fine, but needs a bit of
interpretation to understand it.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, November 26, 2016 at 11:14:53 PM UTC, Rob Graham wrote:
Our kitchen hot water tap is always getting left on because it is low flow and you cannot hear it running - and there is no point in shouting at the family because there is only two of us here and we are both guilty. And, yes - I've shouted at her and I've shouted at myself- all to no avail.

So, I can do electronics and micro-processors and I thought there is a solution there, but putting a timer, a sensor on the hot water pipe and a bleeper is not going to work as the pipe will remain hot long after the tap has been put off - ditto doing that on the waste pipe. So I need a flow sensor to detect the tap has been shut off so that the bleeper doesn't start falsely and to stop it immediately when it does do its duty. But is there something inexpensive that will do that ?

Thanks for any ideas.
Rob

Many thanks for all your replies, guys - as always helpful. And yes these sensors are cheap enough so I'll get one to play with though how I rig up a test bed that doesn't flood out the workbench is an interesting thought.

The problem is low head due to single storey cottage, a longish run and using a mixer tap that is clearly designed for a high pressure system. The flow is therefore sluggish and silent.

Yes. I know there are a number of proper solutions to the problem, but they are a bit long term at the moment and not realistic in the winter, and this looks like a nice little project for the winter nights.

Rob

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Rob Graham wrote:

yes these sensors are cheap enough so I'll get one to play with
though how I rig up a test bed that doesn't flood out the workbench
is an interesting thought.

The problem is low head due to single storey cottage, a longish run
and using a mixer tap that is clearly designed for a high pressure
system. The flow is therefore sluggish and silent.

A lateral suggestion while you acquire tuits to play with flow sensor,
would sticking an aerator spout on the tap make it noisy enough to
notice it had been left on?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 30/11/2016 14:05, Andy Burns wrote:
Rob Graham wrote:

yes these sensors are cheap enough so I'll get one to play with
though how I rig up a test bed that doesn't flood out the workbench
is an interesting thought.

The problem is low head due to single storey cottage, a longish run
and using a mixer tap that is clearly designed for a high pressure
system. The flow is therefore sluggish and silent.

A lateral suggestion while you acquire tuits to play with flow sensor,
would sticking an aerator spout on the tap make it noisy enough to
notice it had been left on?

How about a shower pump in the circuit? Gives you decent flow, and it's
noisy enough to notice.

Andy

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 29/11/2016 11:09, Rob Graham wrote:

Many thanks for all your replies, guys - as always helpful. And yes these sensors are cheap enough so I'll get one to play with though how I rig up a test bed that doesn't flood out the workbench is an interesting thought.

The problem is low head due to single storey cottage, a longish run and using a mixer tap that is clearly designed for a high pressure system. The flow is therefore sluggish and silent.

Perhaps the best solution might be to change the tap for one more suited
to low pressure.

That way you get a decent flow and reduce the chance of leaving it on.

Seems like you're trying to bodge a solution rather than fix the problem.