Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Water flow measurement - flow cup or similar?

Is it worth laying out for a flow cup or similar, instead of calibrating a
bucket with a measuring jug?

If so, can anyone recommend a suitable flow cup?

Preferably easily available and cheap :-)

Cheers

Dave R
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/03/2013 14:13, David.WE.Roberts wrote:
Is it worth laying out for a flow cup or similar, instead of calibrating a
bucket with a measuring jug?

If so, can anyone recommend a suitable flow cup?

Preferably easily available and cheap :-)

A known capacity bucket is by far the simplest. Larger volumes make for
somewhat more accurate measurements (i.e. a 14l bucket will be better
than a 1l jug)

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/03/2013 15:32, John Rumm wrote:
On 23/03/2013 14:13, David.WE.Roberts wrote:
Is it worth laying out for a flow cup or similar, instead of
calibrating a
bucket with a measuring jug?

If so, can anyone recommend a suitable flow cup?

Preferably easily available and cheap :-)

A known capacity bucket is by far the simplest. Larger volumes make for
somewhat more accurate measurements (i.e. a 14l bucket will be better
than a 1l jug)

Unless you are looking for accurate figures ( not sure for what purpose)
roughly timing how long it takes to fill a 2 litre jug or 10 litre
bucket ( they usually have a capacity mark on them) should provide
figures accurate enough for benchmarking or looking for problems.

I have flow figures at different outlets of between 5 and 13 seconds for
a 2 litre jug.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 24 Mar 2013 15:36:34 +0000, robert wrote:

On 23/03/2013 15:32, John Rumm wrote:
On 23/03/2013 14:13, David.WE.Roberts wrote:
Is it worth laying out for a flow cup or similar, instead of
calibrating a bucket with a measuring jug?

If so, can anyone recommend a suitable flow cup?

Preferably easily available and cheap :-)

A known capacity bucket is by far the simplest. Larger volumes make for
somewhat more accurate measurements (i.e. a 14l bucket will be better
than a 1l jug)

Unless you are looking for accurate figures ( not sure for what purpose)
roughly timing how long it takes to fill a 2 litre jug or 10 litre
bucket ( they usually have a capacity mark on them) should provide
figures accurate enough for benchmarking or looking for problems.

I have flow figures at different outlets of between 5 and 13 seconds for
a 2 litre jug.

I would like to have a longer period than 5 seconds for the test because
start/stop errors could skew the results.

10 litre bucket sounds about right.

Cheers

Dave R
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
"David.WE.Roberts" writes:
[...]

Run the flow for longer, but just direct 5 or 10 seconds worth
mid flow into a container.

10 litre bucket sounds about right.

--
Andrew Gabriel

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 24 Mar 2013 22:31:27 +0000, Andrew Gabriel wrote:

In article ,
"David.WE.Roberts" writes:
[...]

Used a 16 litre bucket with a clear panel graded in half litres :-)

Maximum flow was about 17l/min from the outside tap.

Static pressure 3 bar.

Cheers

Dave R
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"David.WE.Roberts" writes:
[...]

Very similar to my last house then... combined with a 35kW combi the
performance was ok. One very good shower at a time, or two reasonable
ones. Bath filling was a little slow in the winter but not desperately.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 25 Mar 2013 19:42:58 +0000, John Rumm wrote:

snip

Used a 16 litre bucket with a clear panel graded in half litres :-)

Maximum flow was about 17l/min from the outside tap.

Static pressure 3 bar.

Very similar to my last house then... combined with a 35kW combi the
performance was ok. One very good shower at a time, or two reasonable
ones. Bath filling was a little slow in the winter but not desperately.

24kW British Gas (made by Worcester) combi but it seems to do the job.

So probably one reasonable shower at a time but it is a two bed bungalow
so there shouldn't be too much competition for the shower.

Cheers

Dave R