Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default One for the electronics guys about soldering

I'm replacing the DC power connector on an Asus notebook. Got the old
one out and when soldering the new one in I made a bit of a hash of
things and I'm not sure now if the top two pins on the right (circled
yellow in photo) actually have a track between them and are meant to be
connected, or if I've over-soldered and bridged them by mistake.

https://btcloud.bt.com/web/app/share/invite/q7rh9t8elm

I'm going with the first one because it looks too neat to be a mistake,
plus, it doesn't seem to want to be sucked up using my vacuum
desoldering station - but a bit of confirmation would be very nice!

What do you think?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25/11/2016 17:04, Munch wrote:
I'm replacing the DC power connector on an Asus notebook. Got the old
one out and when soldering the new one in I made a bit of a hash of
things and I'm not sure now if the top two pins on the right (circled
yellow in photo) actually have a track between them and are meant to be
connected, or if I've over-soldered and bridged them by mistake.

https://btcloud.bt.com/web/app/share/invite/q7rh9t8elm

I'm going with the first one because it looks too neat to be a mistake,
plus, it doesn't seem to want to be sucked up using my vacuum
desoldering station - but a bit of confirmation would be very nice!

What do you think?

I would say that the six oval pads are all connected together and form
part of the metal shell - they'd connect to the power plug outer - and
the square pad above centre is the other connection to the centre pin or
socket.

But that's not from any inside knowledge, just what seems reasonable.

Cheers
--
Syd
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Munch wrote:

I'm going with the first one because it looks too neat to be a mistake,
plus, it doesn't seem to want to be sucked up using my vacuum
desoldering station - but a bit of confirmation would be very nice!

The 2x3 set of pins are 0v and all there to hold the connector
physically rigid to the board. The pins are connected by tracks rather
than being on one big ground plane to avoid problems with heat running
away when soldering.

--
Scott

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Scott M expressed precisely :
Munch wrote:

I'm going with the first one because it looks too neat to be a mistake,
plus, it doesn't seem to want to be sucked up using my vacuum desoldering
station - but a bit of confirmation would be very nice!

The 2x3 set of pins are 0v and all there to hold the connector physically
rigid to the board. The pins are connected by tracks rather than being on one
big ground plane to avoid problems with heat running away when soldering.

Thank you Syd and Scott, much appreciated chaps