Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Mains interference

I'm using Ethernet over power adaptors throughout the house for various appliances, including CCTV cameras.

I have a CCTV camera in the garage, though the Ethernet over power adaptor keeps dropping out, which is obviously causing gaps in recording.

I suspect this is due to the freezer being in the garage and the freezer motor causing interference, thus loss of connectivity. The garage is on a seperate circuit from the consumer unit, via an underground armoured cable.

I think some sort of filter on the freezer plug/socket might resolve this.

Can anyone advise on what I need ?

It seems that mains filters are to use on the sensitive appliance, to stop them receive dirty mains, rather than the appliance causing the interference ?

I want to ensure that the freezer doesn't introduce interference into the mains. Will a simple mains conditioner suffice here ? I can't put a filter on the Ethernet over power adaptor, or it will stop it working.

Any tips/similar experiences welcome.

cf
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18/11/2016 08:41, cf-leeds wrote:
I'm using Ethernet over power adaptors throughout the house for
various appliances, including CCTV cameras.

I have a CCTV camera in the garage, though the Ethernet over power
adaptor keeps dropping out, which is obviously causing gaps in
recording.

I suspect this is due to the freezer being in the garage and the
freezer motor causing interference, thus loss of connectivity. The
garage is on a seperate circuit from the consumer unit, via an
underground armoured cable.

I think some sort of filter on the freezer plug/socket might resolve
this.

Can anyone advise on what I need ?

You probably want a suitable filter close to the compressor motor itself
- any cable length on the unsuppressed side will radiate RF.

It seems that mains filters are to use on the sensitive appliance, to
stop them receive dirty mains, rather than the appliance causing the
interference ?

It can be done either way round. I used to work at an observatory site
where every regular car was carefully doctored to minimise the RF
interference radiating from the ignition coil and spark plugs.

Usually it is easier to doctor the small number of receivers.

I want to ensure that the freezer doesn't introduce interference into
the mains. Will a simple mains conditioner suffice here ? I can't put
a filter on the Ethernet over power adaptor, or it will stop it
working.

The cheapest option to try would be a clip on ferrite shorted turn
around the mains cable as close to the motor as you can manage.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/UF70B-Noise...dp/B00MJU92F8/

I expect Maplin flog them for some usurious mark up.

Any tips/similar experiences welcome.

cf

If that isn't enough then something like this ought to do the job.

http://uk.rs-online.com/webdocs/1523...6b81523c1d.pdf

Otherwise you will have to accept the odd dropout.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2016-11-18 08:41, cf-leeds wrote:
[...]

I've been through similar issues and concluded that ethernet-over-power
adaptors are not fit for purpose when used with CCTV (as is Wifi).

I went through the pain of wiring for CAT5/6 and everything works much
more reliably now.

2p

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, November 18, 2016 at 9:34:06 AM UTC, WeeBob wrote:
On 2016-11-18 08:41, cf-leeds wrote:
[...]

Thanks for responses.

In my case, I have no choice but Ethernet over power for the CCTV deployment, as cabling is not an option. That said, it is quite a reliable solution apart from the garage camera. If I can resolve that issue, I'll have an acceptable solution.......

Rgds

cf
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18/11/16 08:41, cf-leeds wrote:
[...]

What happens if you connect up a laptop instead of the CCTV, with the
receiving powerline adaptor connected to your router/modem? Can you surf
the web without problem or would that drop out, too? With the CCTV, does
the problem go away if you turn off the freezer (it's ok to do this for
an hour or so providing you don't open the freezer door). Also, have you
tried different adaptors (you say you are using them throughout the
house, so you could try another one in place of the one you are using
with the CCTV ).

Can you borrow an extension lead with a built-in interference filter and
connect that between the freezer and mains supply?

Just trying to save you some messing around with the freezer. Our
freezer worked fine until there was a safety "recall", and a technician
called to fit a replacement part. It soon started intermittent random
defrosting, and we had to replace it several months later.

--

Jeff

Posted to uk.d-i-y

I think personally that all use of house wring for networks for computer
should be banned. Not only are they unreliable but they cause horrible
interference to anyone listening to a short wave radio or using any kind of
analogue over the mains intercom or baby monitor on the same mains phase.
mains wiring was simply not designed for this. How difficult would it
really be to hard wire the network or use wifi?

Brian

--
----- -
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please!
"cf-leeds" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 19 Nov 2016 10:03:29 -0000, "Brian Gaff"
wrote:

I think personally that all use of house wring for networks for computer
should be banned. Not only are they unreliable but they cause horrible
interference to anyone listening to a short wave radio

Tough Titty ,that has been a minority interest hobby for years and
those who used them to actually listen to foreign stations to get a
different though often biased viewpoint can now use the web or
satellite reception without all the other mush that occurred as well.

mains wiring was simply not designed for this.

When the GPO and the former Telephone companies they took over first
installed telephone lines did they design it for a use that became
popular roughly a century later?
By your standards we should not be using old style phone lines to
carry the broadband signals into users premises but installed a
completely separate network from the off which would have slowed down
take up a bit.

G.Harman
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
cf-leeds writes:
[...]

A bog-standard freezer compressor will not generate any RF.
If it's a fancy freezer with a microcontroller, or if the
freezer uses an inverter driven compressor, it's possible the
microcontroller or it's power supply might generate interference.

The freezer may have an RF supressor across the mains input to reduce RF
noise from the thermostat contacts. This may also attenuate the RF
ethernet signal (as that's also just RF noise), and things might
improve by disconnecting it.

Don't remove a simple snubber just across the thermostat contacts
as that will limit the contact life, and won't help the problem,
as RF will not pass through the compressor windings anyway.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Brian Gaff
writes
I think personally that all use of house wring for networks for computer
should be banned. Not only are they unreliable but they cause horrible
interference to anyone listening to a short wave radio or using any kind of
analogue over the mains intercom or baby monitor on the same mains phase.
mains wiring was simply not designed for this. How difficult would it
really be to hard wire the network or use wifi?

I use two here. Not an issue for the geriatrics but visiting family
expect their devices to work anywhere in the house.

Wifi from the router is a bit line of sight and doesn't get through two
solid walls. Hard wire plus local wifi too much effort for an existing
set up. I'll be back for advice when the electrical job gets going on
the cottage.

You may be relieved to learn there are currently no neighbours within
75m:-)

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, November 18, 2016 at 6:52:42 PM UTC, Jeff Layman wrote:
[...]

Some interesting ideas he

I'd have to spend a while in the garage to test things out, so what I might do is wait until a cold spell (plenty of thise right now) and unplug the freezer for a while, to prove it's the cause of the intereference.......

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"cf-leeds" wrote in message
[...]

Hmm, kinda radical, but I think they're a great technology. In my case, it's a reliable alternative to drilling holes and runing cables thoughout my old, characterful house. A no brainer really......

We'd all love to wind back the clock and flood wire our houses with Cat"whatever it is these days".......

"...anyone listening to short wave radio" - Forgive me for being inconsiderate to this ever so tiny minority. Maybe they too need to get Ethernet over power to deliver data services to their room of choice, where they can connect an Internet radio.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19/11/16 11:40, cf-leeds wrote:

Some interesting ideas he

I'd have to spend a while in the garage to test things out, so what I might do is wait until a cold spell (plenty of thise right now) and unplug the freezer for a while, to prove it's the cause of the intereference.......

I've had a freezer off in a warm room for 24 hours plus and it stayed
sub zero

let them."

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Brian Gaff wrote:

I think personally that all use of house wring for networks for computer
should be banned. Not only are they unreliable but they cause horrible
interference to anyone listening to a short wave radio or using any kind of
analogue over the mains intercom or baby monitor on the same mains phase.
mains wiring was simply not designed for this. How difficult would it
really be to hard wire the network or use wifi?

Brian

I quite agree! How hard can it be to fit extra POE access points in
any verical sections of the house where the signal is weak? And POE
cameras are quite handy too, especially as outside ones can have outside
wiring if preferred.

--

Roger Hayter
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

Perhaps; but we might have had FTTP from the start if everything had to
be rewired.

--

Roger Hayter
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Lamb wrote:

In message , Brian Gaff
writes
I think personally that all use of house wring for networks for computer
should be banned. Not only are they unreliable but they cause horrible
interference to anyone listening to a short wave radio or using any kind of
analogue over the mains intercom or baby monitor on the same mains phase.
mains wiring was simply not designed for this. How difficult would it
really be to hard wire the network or use wifi?

I use two here. Not an issue for the geriatrics but visiting family
expect their devices to work anywhere in the house.

Wifi from the router is a bit line of sight and doesn't get through two
solid walls. Hard wire plus local wifi too much effort for an existing
set up. I'll be back for advice when the electrical job gets going on
the cottage.

It's no effort at all. Use POE access points with a fixed IP on the
existing local subnet and they don't need any other configuration at
all. Just works. Might need a POE switch wired to the router and placed
where it is convenient to run wires to the other rooms.

You may be relieved to learn there are currently no neighbours within
75m:-)

--

Roger Hayter

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

Nope, fiber hadnt been invented then.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Roger Hayter
writes
Tim Lamb wrote:

In message , Brian Gaff
writes
[...]

You need to remember I have been farming for the last 35 years:-) and
had to look up POE!

I think this is a problem that can be left to the new owners. However,
the cottage is smaller and much more compact. The telephone entry point
and office/main computer will be at one end so I will need some sort of
booster. The Devolo units were a gift from my children whereas the POE
units look to start at £100 not including cabling.

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

I'm sorry but you are wrong. The copper cables used for telephones are
perfectly OK for short range use. However mains wiring is not due to the
inability to know what other things are plugged in. Short wave stations
still abound and in fact Many people still listen to them. It also affects
other things that use those bands as well, including aircraft systems, so do
not junk the problem simply cos its inconvenient. It is making lots of
frequencies unusable for anything and in this day when people are clamouring
for bandwidth for legitimate radio services, this will come home to roost
faster than you think.
Brian

--
From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active
or what I say, you don't have to

wrote:

[...]

I get truly horrible interference on my FM radio from a pair of
Netgear powerline ethernet adapters.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Lamb wrote:

In message , Roger Hayter
writes
Tim Lamb wrote:

In message , Brian Gaff
writes I think personally that all use of
[...]

If you are only needing one access point and have a spare ethernet
socket on the router or an existing switch you can get a POE adapter for
about 20GBP I know these work;

http://www.ebuyer.com/search?q=POE+adapter

And you can get a cheap POE access point for about 25GBP, though I don't
know how well this one works:

http://www.ebuyer.com/263390-tp-link...der-tl-wa801nd

--

Roger Hayter
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Tim Lamb
writes
In message , Roger Hayter
writes
Tim Lamb wrote:

In message , Brian Gaff
writes
[...]

Hmm.. ignorance on view:-( Reading the blurb did not tell me that either
of these units would cover the entire house or that it would enable
multiple mobile device connections. I do have a spare Ethernet socket.

With the family home the load might be one i-player and up to three
i-phones.

--
Tim Lamb

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 20 Nov 2016 12:12:31 -0000, "Brian-Gaff"
wrote:

I'm sorry but you are wrong.

I'm not wrong, I just hold a different viewpoint from you.

The copper cables used for telephones are
perfectly OK for short range use.

But to go back to what I said
" did they design it for a use that became popular roughly a century
later?"

Show me some evidence that someone involved setting up phone lines in
the 1900's said or wrote something like " 'I'm designing these to
carry a data signal in about 100 years time" .

I doubt you can and it is a fortunate twist that others have come
along since and found that within limitations they can.

Similarly other have found that domestic wiring though not designed
for it can be used in a similar way.

However mains wiring is not due to the
inability to know what other things are plugged in.

Hardly matters in a domestic home, is using them going to stop the
kettle boiling. You said they could interfere with baby monitors, so
whoopy do, in that case don't use them or try a different baby
monitor. you would want them banned for the thousands who no longer
have the requirement to monitor a baby but need a quick an easy fix
to solve the problem of extending their home network.
And before banging on about they should wire up the place many young
people now can only afford to rent so will not be allowed to drill
walls and install sockets.

Short wave stations
still abound and in fact Many people still listen to them.

Most doing it for the hobby of electronic fishing rather than to
listen to the message though some will listen to some self appointed
religious skypilot from Alabama promising you an afterlife providing
you send them $25.
So weirdos transmitting and weirdos listening.
Does any station still aim interesting broadcasts that ordinary
people would find interesting at the UK like the Dutch or Swiss used
to?
You arn't the only segment of society that will have had your hobby
changed by circmstances, Pistol shooters had to give up because they
were all deemed potential murderers,Some people especially cigar and
Pipe users regarded smoking as a Hobby and that has been curtailed,
Astronomers find it hard to see the night sky due to encroaching
lighting .
It also affects
other things that use those bands as well, including aircraft systems, so do
not junk the problem simply cos its inconvenient.

If commercial aviation was being adversely affected then somebody
apart from disgruntled radio amateurs would be making the point.

It is making lots of
frequencies unusable for anything and in this day when people are clamouring
for bandwidth for legitimate radio services, this will come home to roost
faster than you think.

What other radio services? What clamour?
Lung and Liver FM to along with Heart FM all still playing the same
playlist or Comms , . The powerline adapters are part of comms , more
people want to use them than listen to the Voice of Korea on shortwave
or for people like you to eavesdrop on aircrew speaking to Gander.

What is going to come home to roost that will disrupt the lives of
people to an extent that most will care a toss.

G.Harman
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20/11/16 12:12, Brian-Gaff wrote:
I'm sorry but you are wrong. The copper cables used for telephones are
perfectly OK for short range use.

DSL is not short range use..

DSL is anything yup to 3 miles and DSL exactly covers medium and short
wave spectra, the more so at longer lengths when the higher frequencies
cant be used.

Powerline adapters use higher frequencies because the cable runs are
shorter, not longer.

However mains wiring is not due to the
inability to know what other things are plugged in. Short wave stations
still abound and in fact Many people still listen to them. It also affects
other things that use those bands as well, including aircraft systems, so do
not junk the problem simply cos its inconvenient. It is making lots of
frequencies unusable for anything and in this day when people are clamouring
for bandwidth for legitimate radio services, this will come home to roost
faster than you think.

And so exactly is ADSL.

Brian

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Brian-Gaff wrote

I'm sorry but you are wrong.

We'll see...

The copper cables used for telephones
are perfectly OK for short range use.

In fact perfectly fine for use over miles too.

However mains wiring is not due to the inability
to know what other things are plugged in.

How odd that the electricity suppliers use
them fine to turn off peak loads on and off etc.

Short wave stations still abound and
in fact Many people still listen to them.

Yes, but it makes no sense to be banning anything
that affects the reception of those now that there
are much better ways to listen to those if you want to.

It also affects other things that use those
bands as well, including aircraft systems,

In fact they work fine which is why they arent banned.

so do not junk the problem simply cos its inconvenient.

In fact what we have actually done is recognise that FAR
more find those systems useful than who find them to be
a problem, so arent actually stupid enough to ban them.

It is making lots of frequencies unusable for anything

That's a lie. The digital comms that everyone
uses now works fine on those frequencys.

and in this day when people are clamouring for
bandwidth for legitimate radio services, this will
come home to roost faster than you think.

No it wont. Legitimate radio services work fine.

wrote:

[...]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

I'm sorry but you are wrong.

I'm not wrong, I just hold a different viewpoint from you.

The copper cables used for telephones are
perfectly OK for short range use.

But to go back to what I said
" did they design it for a use that became popular roughly a century
later?"

Show me some evidence that someone involved setting up phone lines in
the 1900's said or wrote something like " 'I'm designing these to
carry a data signal in about 100 years time" .

I doubt you can and it is a fortunate twist that others have come
along since and found that within limitations they can.

snip

Was "fortunate twist" deliberate? Remarkably relevant! But not 100
years old of course.

--

Roger Hayter

TV interference Peter[_18_] UK diy 6 January 6th 10 05:08 AM
Interference from TIG arc starter [email protected] Metalworking 19 November 29th 07 07:10 AM
TV Interference [email protected] Electronics Repair 1 December 31st 05 05:08 PM
TV Interference Alan H Electronics Repair 2 December 31st 05 06:01 AM
Mains interference capacitor? Autolycus UK diy 28 December 28th 05 12:36 PM