Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Microporous paint

Has anyone worked with microporous paint? I was told my windows were
painted with this stuff. Does this mean I should use microporous
paint next time or is it only used by original manufacturers? Does it
last longer?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/11/2016 21:22, Scott wrote:
Has anyone worked with microporous paint? I was told my windows were
painted with this stuff. Does this mean I should use microporous
paint next time or is it only used by original manufacturers? Does it
last longer?

Was all the rage 20 years ago, when I used to paint window frames.
Supposed to let water vapour out of wood but not let water droplets back
in. So pointless putting it over oil based paints, but if you had it on
the frames it was considered best to keep with it. Dont know if it is
still in vogue. Was regarded as good 20 years ago but I don't know what
current thinking is.

--
Chris B (News)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/11/2016 21:22, Scott wrote:
Has anyone worked with microporous paint? I was told my windows were
painted with this stuff. Does this mean I should use microporous
paint next time or is it only used by original manufacturers? Does it
last longer?

I presume you mean something like Sadolin white woodstain

My nhouse was built in 1989 and when I needed to re-paint, I scraqped
off the loose paint an repainted with Sadolin. I replaced the windows
etc with upvc bhut have been repainting 3 vdorframes with Sadolin
regularly with no signs of deterioration

Malcolm
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/11/16 22:52, Chris B wrote:
On 12/11/2016 21:22, Scott wrote:
Has anyone worked with microporous paint? I was told my windows were
painted with this stuff. Does this mean I should use microporous
paint next time or is it only used by original manufacturers? Does it
last longer?

Was all the rage 20 years ago, when I used to paint window frames.
Supposed to let water vapour out of wood but not let water droplets back
in. So pointless putting it over oil based paints, but if you had it on
the frames it was considered best to keep with it. Dont know if it is
still in vogue. Was regarded as good 20 years ago but I don't know what
current thinking is.

There are many microporous products out there. Protek is very popular,
so are the various Sadolin products.

I've got Protek Royal Exterior on my shed and it's holding up well.
Sadolin Classic is doing equally well on south facing mahogany window
frames.

Yes, I prefer it over traditional paints, but my experience of
traditional exterior paints has not been a happy one.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

One issue I have is that the spec for the wallcoat paint I have on my house
suggests its microporous, however the painters of the house nicely shaped it
around under my wooden windowsils, and many arenow rotting due to water not
able to get out through it on the bottom of the sill. I guess porosity is
all relative!
Brian

--
----- -