Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default What is your favourite microporous paint?

What is your favourite microporous paint?

I'm about to start on some exterior joinery (a framed-legged-braced gate
and some frames for double-glazed units) and I'm trying to decide on a
microporous paint. There's a bewildering choice and I could use some
help.

I was going to go with the Teknos opaque coating system which can be
applied by brush or by spray but it's coverage is only 3-6m^2/l which
makes it fairly expensive.

Sickens have so many different paints, even just considering the
opaques. From their marketing patter it's impossible to tell what's
different between them. Can anyone shed some light on this?

And I've heard people mention Sandolin. Are they comparable to
Teknos/Sikens?

Thanks,

Alex

--
Swish - Easy SFTP for Windows Explorer (http://www.swish-sftp.org)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Feb 18, 4:20*pm, Alexander Lamaison wrote:
[...]

My experience is they are ****.
The coloured ones seem to attract dirt and it can't be washed off. So
light colours are a bad idea.
And they still flake off.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

harry writes:

On Feb 18, 4:20*pm, Alexander Lamaison wrote:
What is your favourite microporous paint?

I'm about to start on some exterior joinery (a framed-legged-braced gate
and some frames for double-glazed units) and I'm trying to decide on a
microporous paint. *There's a bewildering choice and I could use some
help.

snip

My experience is they are ****.
The coloured ones seem to attract dirt and it can't be washed off. So
light colours are a bad idea.
And they still flake off.

What do you suggest using instead?

Alex
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Feb 18, 4:47*pm, Alexander Lamaison wrote:
harry writes:
On Feb 18, 4:20*pm, Alexander Lamaison wrote:
What is your favourite microporous paint?

I'm about to start on some exterior joinery (a framed-legged-braced gate
and some frames for double-glazed units) and I'm trying to decide on a
microporous paint. *There's a bewildering choice and I could use some
help.

snip

My experience is they are ****.
The coloured ones seem to attract dirt and it can't be washed off. *So
light colours are a bad idea.
And they still flake off.

What do you suggest using instead?

Alex

I just use a spirit based coloured wood preservative.
They are getting hard to find these days with this "low VOC" thing.

The water based wood preservers are **** too.
And the wood we use is ****.

We are all doomed, doomed.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

harry writes:
On Feb 18, 4:20*pm, Alexander Lamaison wrote:
What is your favourite microporous paint?

I'm about to start on some exterior joinery (a framed-legged-braced gate
and some frames for double-glazed units) and I'm trying to decide on a
microporous paint. *There's a bewildering choice and I could use some
help.

snip

My experience is they are ****.
The coloured ones seem to attract dirt and it can't be washed off. *So
light colours are a bad idea.
And they still flake off.

What do you suggest using instead?

I just use a spirit based coloured wood preservative.
They are getting hard to find these days with this "low VOC" thing.

I should mention this needs to be white or black to fit in with
everything else.

Alex

--
Swish - Easy SFTP for Windows Explorer (http://www.swish-sftp.org)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18 Feb, 16:20, Alexander Lamaison wrote:
What is your favourite microporous paint?

I'm about to start on some exterior joinery (a framed-legged-braced gate
and some frames for double-glazed units) and I'm trying to decide on a
microporous paint. *There's a bewildering choice and I could use some
help.

I was going to go with the Teknos opaque coating system which can be
applied by brush or by spray but it's coverage is only 3-6m^2/l which
makes it fairly expensive.

Sickens have so many different paints, even just considering the
opaques. *From their marketing patter it's impossible to tell what's
different between them. *Can anyone shed some light on this?

And I've heard people mention Sandolin. *Are they comparable to
Teknos/Sikens?

my conservatory came factory sprayed in a Teknos paint and a large tin
was supplied to overcoat/touch up etc.

In general (5 odd years) it is lasting well, though problem areas seem
to be cills and bottom beads on windows where water seems able
(frost?) to get behind it then it tends to flake and need redoing.
Other than that Its pretty good IMHO - easy to apply, quite opaque,
dries quick, easy clean up (water).

Sadolin systems are good too - well the spirit based ones - I last
used on a sunny-side hardwood door that must be 10years since it had a
coat - still in good order.

Jim K
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jim K writes:

[...]

Is this the Teknos Aqua Top 2600? Is coverage noticeably poor? I'm
curious what it is about the paint that makes it cover 3-6m^2 instead of
the normal 14 or so.

Alex

--
Swish - Easy SFTP for Windows Explorer (http://www.swish-sftp.org)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18 Feb, 17:49, Alexander Lamaison wrote:
Jim K writes:
[...]

pass. will look when i'm next to it next.

Is coverage noticeably poor? *I'm
curious what it is about the paint that makes it cover 3-6m^2 instead of
the normal 14 or so.

pass. I just slapped it on til it looked right...seems no huge chore
to apply tho

Jim K
Posted to uk.d-i-y

ahttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ehKGlT2EW1Q
microporous paint. There's a bewildering choice and I could use some
help.

I was going to go with the Teknos opaque coating system which can be
applied by brush or by spray but it's coverage is only 3-6m^2/l which
makes it fairly expensive.

Sickens have so many different paints, even just considering the
opaques. From their marketing patter it's impossible to tell what's
different between them. Can anyone shed some light on this?

And I've heard people mention Sandolin. Are they comparable to
Teknos/Sikens?

Thanks,

Alex

I like Sadolin - but I cannot say if it is th best...

Sadolin PX65 probably was the best - but it doesn't exit anymore, probably
because it was full of evil...

Reading this on the web? See:

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Watts wrote:

I've decided to give that a whirl, is it just my area, or are they still
at the chicken/egg stage?

Seems they only have only a couple of other people on O2 near me, one on
orange, and nobody on t-mobile, vodafone or three.

Do they really only keep data for 6 months? In which case I might as
well ditch it now; or do they only ditch data in places where they
haven't anything more recent to replace it with?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday 18 February 2013 21:33 Andy Burns wrote in uk.d-i-y:

Tim Watts wrote:

http://www.sensorly.com/ Crowd mapping of 2G/3G/4G mobile signal
coverage

I've decided to give that a whirl, is it just my area, or are they still
at the chicken/egg stage?

London has good coverage as do the main arterial roads. I would say that
Open Signal maps *had* pretty good coverage, but since they don't seem to
bother processing data in a timely fashion, I decided to look around. The
only one who looked like they were active in the UK was Sensorly. If it's
true that they got a million in venture capital to kick this off they must
be serious. And they did reply to a tweet I made in short order.

Seems they only have only a couple of other people on O2 near me, one on
orange, and nobody on t-mobile, vodafone or three.

Do they really only keep data for 6 months? In which case I might as
well ditch it now; or do they only ditch data in places where they
haven't anything more recent to replace it with?

I did not see the 6 months bit - looks again at the website - nope, still
can't see it??? Could ask them I guess

I find it quite fun to turn it on when driving somewhere new (I use my phone
as a GPS anyway, so it's on the dash in an optimum position). Looking at the
results when I get back is interesting. If nothing else, it's helpful to me,
as I know next time whether I'm going to get good 3G in certain places, like
the hairdressers after I've had my 10 minute trim whilst waiting for SWMBO
for another hour :-o

Cheers,

Tim

Reading this on the web? See:

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, February 18, 2013 4:20:01 PM UTC, alamaison wrote:

What is your favourite microporous paint?
I'm about to start on some exterior joinery (a framed-legged-braced gate
and some frames for double-glazed units) and I'm trying to decide on a
microporous paint. There's a bewildering choice and I could use some
help.
I was going to go with the Teknos opaque coating system which can be
applied by brush or by spray but it's coverage is only 3-6m^2/l which
makes it fairly expensive.
Sickens have so many different paints, even just considering the
opaques. From their marketing patter it's impossible to tell what's
different between them. Can anyone shed some light on this?
And I've heard people mention Sandolin. Are they comparable to
Teknos/Sikens?
Thanks,
Alex

Its not that hard to make your own creosote. Fire, closed metal container, pipe, collecting bottle, and either water to condense it or a long pipe.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Alexander Lamaison
writes
What is your favourite microporous paint?

I'm about to start on some exterior joinery (a framed-legged-braced gate
and some frames for double-glazed units) and I'm trying to decide on a
microporous paint. There's a bewildering choice and I could use some
help.

I have used 2 types of International brand microporous paints.

The first was their original Ranch Paint which dries to quite a flat
finish. While I liked this for the window frames I used it on I'd be
concerned about it taking finger marks and looking shabby quite soon on
a gate.

When I came to do some more frames I found that Ranch Paint was still
listed but not so readily available so I used their '10 Year Exterior
Gloss' which dries to a proper high gloss. It's lasting well and if I
was using microporous again, this is the one I would choose. Limited
colour range I think but they certainly do black and white, I used
black.

No experience of other types.
--
fred
it's a ba-na-na . . . .
Posted to uk.d-i-y

fred writes:

In article , Alexander Lamaison
writes
What is your favourite microporous paint?

I'm about to start on some exterior joinery (a framed-legged-braced gate
and some frames for double-glazed units) and I'm trying to decide on a
microporous paint. There's a bewildering choice and I could use some
help.

I have used 2 types of International brand microporous paints.

The first was their original Ranch Paint which dries to quite a flat
finish. While I liked this for the window frames I used it on I'd be
concerned about it taking finger marks and looking shabby quite soon
on a gate.

Good point. Hadn't thought of that. I have a tin of the stuff that
I've saved for the fascias, but was toying with the idea of using it for
the gate. I won't now.

When I came to do some more frames I found that Ranch Paint was still
listed but not so readily available so I used their '10 Year Exterior
Gloss' which dries to a proper high gloss. It's lasting well and if I
was using microporous again, this is the one I would choose. Limited
colour range I think but they certainly do black and white, I used
black.

There are other colours?

Alex

--