Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default how to get smell out of car footwell carpet?

Hello,

Apologies for multi-posting, but I realised after posting this to
uk.rec.cars.misc that I'd be likely also to get some knowledgeable answers
in uk.d-i-y.

***

Recently my car was stuck in a ditch over a weekend and mud got into the
front passenger footwell. Since then, I have cleaned the fitted carpet
using spray-on "Carplan" car upholstery cleaner and also "Rug Doctor"
carpet odour remover, both times scrubbing it into the carpet with a brush.
I have unclipped the casing at the side, bent the carpet up, and cleaned
and dried under it with rag and tissue paper, and I have left a fan heater
on in the car for hours to ensure the footwell is completely dry, including
both the carpet itself and under it. But there's still a pong.

Advice would be gratefully received.

Thanks in advance!

***

Harry

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.cars.misc

On 11/11/16 19:01, Harold Davis wrote:
Hello,

Apologies for multi-posting, but I realised after posting this to
uk.rec.cars.misc that I'd be likely also to get some knowledgeable answers
in uk.d-i-y.

***

Recently my car was stuck in a ditch over a weekend and mud got into the
front passenger footwell. Since then, I have cleaned the fitted carpet
using spray-on "Carplan" car upholstery cleaner and also "Rug Doctor"
carpet odour remover, both times scrubbing it into the carpet with a brush.
I have unclipped the casing at the side, bent the carpet up, and cleaned
and dried under it with rag and tissue paper, and I have left a fan heater
on in the car for hours to ensure the footwell is completely dry, including
both the carpet itself and under it. But there's still a pong.

Advice would be gratefully received.

Febreze actually works, if used long enough BUT you should try and wet
shampoo the carpets and get the water out and then run with the heater
full on for a bit.

Thanks in advance!

***

Harry

windows of my apartment. (I live on the twenty-first floor.) "

Alan Sokal
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Is it the sound deadening under the carpet that is also damp?

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.cars.misc

On 11/11/16 19:01, Harold Davis wrote:
Hello,

Apologies for multi-posting, but I realised after posting this to
uk.rec.cars.misc that I'd be likely also to get some knowledgeable answers
in uk.d-i-y.

***

Recently my car was stuck in a ditch over a weekend and mud got into the
front passenger footwell. Since then, I have cleaned the fitted carpet
using spray-on "Carplan" car upholstery cleaner and also "Rug Doctor"
carpet odour remover, both times scrubbing it into the carpet with a brush.
I have unclipped the casing at the side, bent the carpet up, and cleaned
and dried under it with rag and tissue paper, and I have left a fan heater
on in the car for hours to ensure the footwell is completely dry, including
both the carpet itself and under it. But there's still a pong.

I had a similar problem when my niece came to stay for a few weeks - she
suffered from hideous car sickness with the inevitable results.

After a good wet shampoo, I was recommended this:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Dakota-Car-.../dp/B006T1MBNI

Not that exact fragrance - they do many. I picked a light fruity one. It
made the car smell fruity for about 4 months, after which the puky
smells it was masking had finally aired out.

Or you could try rubbing bicarbonate of soda into the carpet - leave for
few hours and hoover out. You'll need a decent amount - say 1/2lb or so
- be liberal. It does seem to suck out odours.

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.cars.misc

On 11/11/2016 19:01, Harold Davis wrote:

Recently my car was stuck in a ditch over a weekend and mud got into the
front passenger footwell. Since then, I have cleaned the fitted carpet
using spray-on "Carplan" car upholstery cleaner and also "Rug Doctor"
carpet odour remover, both times scrubbing it into the carpet with a brush.
I have unclipped the casing at the side, bent the carpet up, and cleaned
and dried under it with rag and tissue paper, and I have left a fan heater
on in the car for hours to ensure the footwell is completely dry, including
both the carpet itself and under it. But there's still a pong.

Advice would be gratefully received.

Are you sure that it's just the front passenger foot well? The mud may
have been the obvious sign but smelly ditch water may have migrated to
the drivers side or to the rear.

Try a large bag of cat litter to absorb the smell and possibly to help
remove moisture - lay down some newspaper first.

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.cars.misc

On 11/11/16 21:53, Tim Watts wrote:
[...]

Add Neutradol to that list, stocked by PoundLand. I find it pretty
effective drawing out smells near old second-hand furniture.

http://www.neutradol.com/about-neutradol.html

It's a bad thing old car smells...

Back in the 80s, I used to own an ex-driving instructors car that apart
from the welded in dual control peddles (disconnected, but fascinating
interest for my passengers) also had the feature of an over excessive
application of Indian Joss stick fragrance, as if that was done either
to clam nervous L-drivers or to mask events following their emergency stops!

I eventfully got rid of the wreak, the gearbox selector and clutch were
shot, rust was fast claiming the rest of the mashed chassis, and fuel
hoses sadly leaking petrol in too many flammable places.

Car from hell....

--
Adrian C
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.cars.misc

On 11/11/2016 7:01 PM, Harold Davis wrote:
[...]

If you spill milk in a footwell, you have to replace all the carpets.
DAMHIK.
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.cars.misc

newshound wrote:

[...]

If you spill milk in a footwell, you have to replace all the carpets.
DAMHIK.

Did it in a hire car once. :-(

Chris

--
Remove prejudice to reply.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/11/16 21:18, Chris Whelan wrote:
newshound wrote:

[...]

If you spill milk in a footwell, you have to replace all the carpets.
DAMHIK.

Did it in a hire car once. :-(

Chris

How much did that cost you?

And please stop with the clever "Reply-To:" header - it's irritating!
Choose an appropriate group to post to!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

DerbyBorn wrote in
2.236:

Is it the sound deadening under the carpet that is also damp?

Thank you to everyone who has replied.

Yes, DerbyBorn. Sopping wet, I'd call it. After picking up the carpet, I
first thought what a nice rubbery layer underneath, that water wouldn't
penetrate. Today I pressed on it and water came out of a hole in it. I have
undone a securing bolt but it is very tight and I have only been able to
make a gap a few inches wide towards the door. Its foam layer is soaking
wet - yuck! I have jammed a hairdryer in the gap, and also a metal bottle
to hold it open other than with the hairdryer itself and so that there is
somewhere for the hot air from the hairdryer to come out. I'm checking
every so often that nothing is getting too hot.

I am fairly sure (well, I hope) that the only moisture is in the footwell
itself. The lowest of the four walls to the footwell is under the seat and
it is at least 4 inches high. (The seats swivel.) There must be some way to
fix the problem if I don't manage to dry all the foam with the hairdryer.
If necessary, couldn't a garage cut a square of the sound deadening out,
dry it, and stick it back in with duct tape? Even if I were to try to sell
the car - which I won't - the first thing that anyone is going to want to
do is sort out the foul smell. It's worth a few hundred pounds to me to
fix.

Harry
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14/11/16 17:53, Harold Davis wrote:
DerbyBorn wrote in
2.236:

[...]

1/. Many insurance firms simply write off cars that have been flooded as
the chances of contamination that would kill a snowflake generati0n at
50 yards is very high.

2/. What you need to do is wash out all the crappy water and that means
getting everything even wetter. Toss a bucket if water with some carpet
shampoo in the footwell and scrub.

3/. Then using a wet and dry vacuum SHOULD essentially 'shampoo' the
carpet and underlay. These aren't too expensive to buy, and can be hired.

4/. If the car is in use daily, full air-con, and full heat should shove
de-humidified hot air in, and that will dry stuff out in a few trips.
Otherwise set up a fan heater in the car with the windows cracked and
let it do its stuff.

5/. Any lingering pongs use 'febreze' on. It really does work. Doggy
smells, tobacco - gets them in the end though several applications are
usually needed.

--
€œSome people like to travel by train because it combines the slowness of
a car with the cramped public exposure of €¨an airplane.€

Dennis Miller

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Natural Philosopher wrote in
news
[...]

Thanks for this. As regards the carpet, I've already scrubbed with carpet
shampoo and also with a sodium bicarbonate and vinegar mix and more or
less dried out with a fan heater. It doesn't pong so bad now. I'm hoping
that when it's totally dry vacuuming and Febreze will be enough. It's the
foam underlayer of the deadening that is the bigger problem. I am not
sure how to get to all of it - the deadening is still very tight, and I
have little experience in undoing things on cars. Also it doesn't seem as
though it would stand up to scrubbing if I poured a load more water under
there. Is it much different from the kind of carpet underlay that's made
from bonded bits of foam rubber? Wasn't familiar with wet and dry
vacuums, but am checking them out. They're basically hoovers that can
suck up both ordinary solid dirt and liquid through hoses, right? Thanks
again!

Harry
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11/14/2016 11:01 PM, Harold Davis wrote:
[...]

If you have the really thick moulded-t0-fit foam underlay you have to
take the seats, carpets, and underlay out completely to get everything
dried out. This is based on experience with Citroen CXs which have a
very thick moulded underlay that can get completely saturated. Mind you,
that was often necessary on the CX because the water would get in from a
rusty floor (or wheel arch), and the only hope of fixing that was either
to have a replacement welded in place or, if it was not too bad, to
"tank" the whole of the interior of the footwell with fibreglass. This
could buy you two or three years, by which time something else would
probably write the car off.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14/11/2016 23:01, Harold Davis wrote:

[...]

If you have a dry garage that is fairly well sealed then put a fan
heater blowing hot air under the car angled up at the wet footwell.

Open car windows and leave to dry out.

Old fashioned tubular greenhouse heaters might do the trick, but
it all depends on having a dry, well sealed garage with power.

A dehumidifier might assist too.

Smell of urine in carpet Fred UK diy 14 May 21st 07 07:00 PM
Advice please: Some flooding and wet carpet with musty smell Driz Home Repair 13 May 24th 06 04:05 PM
Removing dog urine smell from carpet. phaeton Home Repair 5 May 17th 06 01:52 PM
Rancid Carpet Smell after flooding Don W. McCollough Home Repair 2 October 10th 04 01:10 PM
HELP PLEASE: Carpet cleaning smell won't dissipate eric veller Home Ownership 5 March 7th 04 02:23 AM