Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.cars.misc
alan_m alan_m is offline

Default how to get smell out of car footwell carpet?

On 11/11/2016 19:01, Harold Davis wrote:

Recently my car was stuck in a ditch over a weekend and mud got into the
front passenger footwell. Since then, I have cleaned the fitted carpet
using spray-on "Carplan" car upholstery cleaner and also "Rug Doctor"
carpet odour remover, both times scrubbing it into the carpet with a brush.
I have unclipped the casing at the side, bent the carpet up, and cleaned
and dried under it with rag and tissue paper, and I have left a fan heater
on in the car for hours to ensure the footwell is completely dry, including
both the carpet itself and under it. But there's still a pong.

Advice would be gratefully received.

Are you sure that it's just the front passenger foot well? The mud may
have been the obvious sign but smelly ditch water may have migrated to
the drivers side or to the rear.

Try a large bag of cat litter to absorb the smell and possibly to help
remove moisture - lay down some newspaper first.