Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andrew[_22_] Andrew[_22_] is offline

Default how to get smell out of car footwell carpet?

On 14/11/2016 23:01, Harold Davis wrote:

Thanks for this. As regards the carpet, I've already scrubbed with carpet
shampoo and also with a sodium bicarbonate and vinegar mix and more or
less dried out with a fan heater. It doesn't pong so bad now. I'm hoping
that when it's totally dry vacuuming and Febreze will be enough. It's the
foam underlayer of the deadening that is the bigger problem. I am not
sure how to get to all of it - the deadening is still very tight, and I
have little experience in undoing things on cars. Also it doesn't seem as
though it would stand up to scrubbing if I poured a load more water under
there. Is it much different from the kind of carpet underlay that's made
from bonded bits of foam rubber? Wasn't familiar with wet and dry
vacuums, but am checking them out. They're basically hoovers that can
suck up both ordinary solid dirt and liquid through hoses, right? Thanks
again!

Harry

If you have a dry garage that is fairly well sealed then put a fan
heater blowing hot air under the car angled up at the wet footwell.

Open car windows and leave to dry out.

Old fashioned tubular greenhouse heaters might do the trick, but
it all depends on having a dry, well sealed garage with power.

A dehumidifier might assist too.