Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Different architrave/skirting.

While decorating the living room, I've noticed that the architrave and
skirting are different profiles. It seems that the architrave is the
torus profile, and the skirting board is ogee. Oddly, it's taken about
ten years for me to notice this, but now that I have, I can't help
wondering if someone's messed up. It's all hard wood in very good
condition, but if one is to be replaced, I guess now is the time to do
it. Is it normal to have them different? I'd have thought you'd
normally have them the same, but I know nothing about skirting board
conventions.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Dan S. MacAbre wrote:
While decorating the living room, I've noticed that the architrave and
skirting are different profiles. It seems that the architrave is the
torus profile, and the skirting board is ogee. Oddly, it's taken about
ten years for me to notice this, but now that I have, I can't help
wondering if someone's messed up. It's all hard wood in very good
condition, but if one is to be replaced, I guess now is the time to do
it. Is it normal to have them different? I'd have thought you'd
normally have them the same, but I know nothing about skirting board
conventions.

At one point you could buy skirting boards which was dual profiled. I
wonder if one bit got installed upside down.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y

charles wrote:
In article ,
Dan S. MacAbre wrote:
While decorating the living room, I've noticed that the architrave and
skirting are different profiles. It seems that the architrave is the
torus profile, and the skirting board is ogee. Oddly, it's taken about
ten years for me to notice this, but now that I have, I can't help
wondering if someone's messed up. It's all hard wood in very good
condition, but if one is to be replaced, I guess now is the time to do
it. Is it normal to have them different? I'd have thought you'd
normally have them the same, but I know nothing about skirting board
conventions.

At one point you could buy skirting boards which was dual profiled. I
wonder if one bit got installed upside down.

The architrave can't AFAIK be dual profiled, but of course the skirting
might. I haven't told the missus yet. Probably best not to mention it
:-) OTOH, there's every chance I'm the only person in the world that
would ever care.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08/11/2016 11:21, Dan S. MacAbre wrote:
While decorating the living room, I've noticed that the architrave and
skirting are different profiles. It seems that the architrave is the
torus profile, and the skirting board is ogee. Oddly, it's taken about
ten years for me to notice this, but now that I have, I can't help
wondering if someone's messed up. It's all hard wood in very good
condition, but if one is to be replaced, I guess now is the time to do
it. Is it normal to have them different? I'd have thought you'd
normally have them the same, but I know nothing about skirting board
conventions.

Why bother to replace it? You haven't noticed the difference for 10
years so it hasn't been annoying you. Ignore the conventions - if it
looks OK then it is OK.

--
Mike Clarke
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mike Clarke wrote:
On 08/11/2016 11:21, Dan S. MacAbre wrote:
While decorating the living room, I've noticed that the architrave and
skirting are different profiles. It seems that the architrave is the
torus profile, and the skirting board is ogee. Oddly, it's taken about
ten years for me to notice this, but now that I have, I can't help
wondering if someone's messed up. It's all hard wood in very good
condition, but if one is to be replaced, I guess now is the time to do
it. Is it normal to have them different? I'd have thought you'd
normally have them the same, but I know nothing about skirting board
conventions.

Why bother to replace it? You haven't noticed the difference for 10
years so it hasn't been annoying you. Ignore the conventions - if it
looks OK then it is OK.

Unfortunately, I'm something of a conformist :-) But chances are, I'll
have forgotten all about it in a few years' time anyway.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08/11/2016 11:21, Dan S. MacAbre wrote:
While decorating the living room, I've noticed that the architrave and
skirting are different profiles. It seems that the architrave is the
torus profile, and the skirting board is ogee. Oddly, it's taken about
ten years for me to notice this, but now that I have, I can't help
wondering if someone's messed up. It's all hard wood in very good
condition, but if one is to be replaced, I guess now is the time to do
it. Is it normal to have them different? I'd have thought you'd
normally have them the same, but I know nothing about skirting board
conventions.

My home is 80 years old, none of the original Skirting and Architrave
match. Replacements are different again, even in the same room! Its
called Character:-)

Mike
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Dan S. MacAbre wrote:
While decorating the living room, I've noticed that the architrave and
skirting are different profiles. It seems that the architrave is the
torus profile, and the skirting board is ogee. Oddly, it's taken about
ten years for me to notice this, but now that I have, I can't help
wondering if someone's messed up. It's all hard wood in very good
condition, but if one is to be replaced, I guess now is the time to do
it. Is it normal to have them different? I'd have thought you'd
normally have them the same, but I know nothing about skirting board
conventions.

It's entirely down to taste. If it looks good to you and yours, don't
worry. Unless it's a listed building. ;-)

--
*Half the people in the world are below average.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Muddymike wrote:
On 08/11/2016 11:21, Dan S. MacAbre wrote:
While decorating the living room, I've noticed that the architrave and
skirting are different profiles. It seems that the architrave is the
torus profile, and the skirting board is ogee. Oddly, it's taken about
ten years for me to notice this, but now that I have, I can't help
wondering if someone's messed up. It's all hard wood in very good
condition, but if one is to be replaced, I guess now is the time to do
it. Is it normal to have them different? I'd have thought you'd
normally have them the same, but I know nothing about skirting board
conventions.

My home is 80 years old, none of the original Skirting and Architrave
match. Replacements are different again, even in the same room! Its
called Character:-)

Mike

I like that attitude!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
Dan S. MacAbre wrote:
While decorating the living room, I've noticed that the architrave and
skirting are different profiles. It seems that the architrave is the
torus profile, and the skirting board is ogee. Oddly, it's taken about
ten years for me to notice this, but now that I have, I can't help
wondering if someone's messed up. It's all hard wood in very good
condition, but if one is to be replaced, I guess now is the time to do
it. Is it normal to have them different? I'd have thought you'd
normally have them the same, but I know nothing about skirting board
conventions.

It's entirely down to taste. If it looks good to you and yours, don't
worry. Unless it's a listed building. ;-)

They would care about such detail in a listed building? I'm almost glad
I'll never be able to afford one :-)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Muddymike wrote:
On 08/11/2016 11:21, Dan S. MacAbre wrote:
While decorating the living room, I've noticed that the architrave and
skirting are different profiles. It seems that the architrave is the
torus profile, and the skirting board is ogee. Oddly, it's taken about
ten years for me to notice this, but now that I have, I can't help
wondering if someone's messed up. It's all hard wood in very good
condition, but if one is to be replaced, I guess now is the time to do
it. Is it normal to have them different? I'd have thought you'd
normally have them the same, but I know nothing about skirting board
conventions.

My home is 80 years old, none of the original Skirting and Architrave
match. Replacements are different again, even in the same room! Its
called Character:-)

Not sure I could cope with that in the same room. When I bought this
Victorian pile, I had some skirting made up to match the original
prefectly. As it is such a feature in the public rooms. The same would
apply to the cornice.

--
*If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Dan S. MacAbre
writes
Muddymike wrote:

My home is 80 years old, none of the original Skirting and Architrave
match. Replacements are different again, even in the same room! Its
called Character:-)

I like that attitude!

Same here. We lived in this house before decorating one particular main
downstairs room, and it was only when rubbing down the skirting board
that I realised it was not the same all around the room. Same height,
but different profiles. It didn't particularly worry me, and I only
think about it when skirting board is mentioned here :-)

--
Graeme
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Graeme wrote:
In message , Dan S. MacAbre
writes
Muddymike wrote:

My home is 80 years old, none of the original Skirting and Architrave
match. Replacements are different again, even in the same room! Its
called Character:-)

I like that attitude!

Same here. We lived in this house before decorating one particular main
downstairs room, and it was only when rubbing down the skirting board
that I realised it was not the same all around the room. Same height,
but different profiles. It didn't particularly worry me, and I only
think about it when skirting board is mentioned here :-)

Yehbut once you've seen it you'll see it always. ;-)

--
*When blondes have more fun, do they know it?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
In article ,
Graeme wrote:
In message , Dan S. MacAbre
writes
Muddymike wrote:

My home is 80 years old, none of the original Skirting and Architrave
match. Replacements are different again, even in the same room! Its
called Character:-)

I like that attitude!

Same here. We lived in this house before decorating one particular main
downstairs room, and it was only when rubbing down the skirting board
that I realised it was not the same all around the room. Same height,
but different profiles. It didn't particularly worry me, and I only
think about it when skirting board is mentioned here :-)

Yehbut once you've seen it you'll see it always. ;-)

Or maybe not once the Alzheimer's sets in.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
djc djc is offline

On 08/11/16 11:53, Dan S. MacAbre wrote:
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
Dan S. MacAbre wrote:
While decorating the living room, I've noticed that the architrave and
skirting are different profiles. It seems that the architrave is the
torus profile, and the skirting board is ogee. Oddly, it's taken about
ten years for me to notice this, but now that I have, I can't help
wondering if someone's messed up. It's all hard wood in very good
condition, but if one is to be replaced, I guess now is the time to do
it. Is it normal to have them different? I'd have thought you'd
normally have them the same, but I know nothing about skirting board
conventions.

It's entirely down to taste. If it looks good to you and yours, don't
worry. Unless it's a listed building. ;-)

They would care about such detail in a listed building? I'm almost glad
I'll never be able to afford one :-)

If it was a listed building, and you took all the rules seriously, they
might insist you keep it as-is even if half of it was a modern replacement.

--
djc

(–€Ì¿Ä¹Ì¯–€Ì¿ Ì¿)
No low-hanging fruit, just a lot of small berries up a tall tree.