Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Unfused plug

Ebay purchase, charger has a small moulded plug, which given it's size
presumably un-fused.

I could snip it off and fit a proper one. In any case a fault that would
render the lead/wire/flex/cable (what are we calling it?) dangerous
would probably cause a trip with modern electrics.

Just wondering how people feel about it, I wouldn't have thought it was
legal to sell them like that.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
R D S wrote:
Ebay purchase, charger has a small moulded plug, which given it's size
presumably un-fused.

I could snip it off and fit a proper one. In any case a fault that would
render the lead/wire/flex/cable (what are we calling it?) dangerous
would probably cause a trip with modern electrics.

Just wondering how people feel about it, I wouldn't have thought it was
legal to sell them like that.

I had the earth pin break on a moulded plug, so no problem I'll fit a new
one. but the conductors were so small and few that I ddin't think I could
make a proper reliable contact. So it went in the bin.

You might find the same, in that snipping the plug off made the whole thing
useless.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 5 Nov 2016 16:52:21 +0000, R D S wrote:

Ebay purchase, charger has a small moulded plug, which given it's size
presumably un-fused.

I could snip it off and fit a proper one. In any case a fault that would
render the lead/wire/flex/cable (what are we calling it?) dangerous
would probably cause a trip with modern electrics.

Just wondering how people feel about it, I wouldn't have thought it was
legal to sell them like that.

The first word may provide a clue.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 5 Nov 2016 16:52:21 +0000, R D S wrote:

Ebay purchase, charger has a small moulded plug, which given it's size
presumably un-fused.

I could snip it off and fit a proper one. In any case a fault that would
render the lead/wire/flex/cable (what are we calling it?) dangerous
would probably cause a trip with modern electrics.

Just wondering how people feel about it, I wouldn't have thought it was
legal to sell them like that.

And you would be 100% right, so don't re-sell it.

I am guessing that the vendor was outside the jurisdiction of British
Trading Standards. If not, you know what to do.

Another danger is Far Eastern wall-warts because you can't trust the
compliance markings, and without an x-ray machine you have no idea if
there is adequate protection inside I would never risk plugging such
an item into a wall socket, only into an adapter of some sort with a 3
amp fuse so at least there is some protection.

--

Graham.

%Profound_observation%
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"R D S" wrote in message
Ebay purchase, charger has a small moulded plug, which given it's size
presumably un-fused.

I could snip it off and fit a proper one. In any case a fault that would
render the lead/wire/flex/cable (what are we calling it?) dangerous would
probably cause a trip with modern electrics.

Just wondering how people feel about it, I wouldn't have thought it was
legal to sell them like that.

Given that only you lot are silly enough to have fused plugs, I'd
personally leave it as it is because that clearly works fine world wide.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 05/11/2016 16:52, R D S wrote:
Ebay purchase, charger has a small moulded plug, which given it's size
presumably un-fused.

I could snip it off and fit a proper one. In any case a fault that would
render the lead/wire/flex/cable (what are we calling it?) dangerous
would probably cause a trip with modern electrics.

Just wondering how people feel about it, I wouldn't have thought it was
legal to sell them like that.

The pins must be a minimum of 9mm for the edge of the plug. It is
possible it has a one-time thermal or other fuse in the plug, but I
doubt it.

If it isn't fused, then there is a fighting chance the cable, if thin
enough, will fuse before any 'trip'.

If you imported it, then you are the deemed the manufacturer. If you
bought this from a UK source and it's defective, you ought to contact
Trading Standards, or whatever is left of them.

I would snip off the cable and fit my own plug with a 3 amp fuse.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 05/11/16 22:03, pamela wrote:
On 16:52 5 Nov 2016, R D S wrote:

Ebay purchase, charger has a small moulded plug, which given
it's size presumably un-fused.

I could snip it off and fit a proper one. In any case a fault
that would render the lead/wire/flex/cable (what are we calling
it?) dangerous would probably cause a trip with modern
electrics.

Just wondering how people feel about it, I wouldn't have thought
it was legal to sell them like that.

Be interesting to see what the charger looks like. Do you have a
link to the eBay page?

Claims to ship from UK.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/381492173003
Posted to uk.d-i-y

R D S wrote:

Claims to ship from UK.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/381492173003

At least three reasons the plug fails BS-1363 reqs

1) not fused
2) pins too close to edge
3) earth pin part sleeved (though it looks like 2-core flex so it could
have had a fully plastic "earth" pin)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 05/11/2016 16:52, R D S wrote:

Ebay purchase, charger has a small moulded plug, which given it's size
presumably un-fused.

These turn up on quite a lot of imported tat.

I could snip it off and fit a proper one. In any case a fault that would
render the lead/wire/flex/cable (what are we calling it?) dangerous
would probably cause a trip with modern electrics.

Its unlikely to trip anything, but its certainly dangerous. Often you
will find the amount of copper (if it actually *is* copper) in the cable
is also well below spec - so if a short were to occur on the lead there
is a fair chance it will burst into flames.

Just wondering how people feel about it, I wouldn't have thought it was
legal to sell them like that.

Its not, but it still happens.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, 5 November 2016 16:52:23 UTC, R D S wrote:
Ebay purchase, charger has a small moulded plug, which given it's size
presumably un-fused.

I could snip it off and fit a proper one. In any case a fault that would
render the lead/wire/flex/cable (what are we calling it?) dangerous
would probably cause a trip with modern electrics.

Just wondering how people feel about it, I wouldn't have thought it was
legal to sell them like that.

There's lots of noncompliant stuff about at the low end of the market. Fit a proper plug.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"pamela" wrote in message
On 23:56 5 Nov 2016, Andy Burns wrote:

R D S wrote:

Claims to ship from UK.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/381492173003

At least three reasons the plug fails BS-1363 reqs

1) not fused
2) pins too close to edge
3) earth pin part sleeved (though it looks like 2-core flex so
it could have had a fully plastic "earth" pin)

There are so many substandard electrical goods around
these days (often made in China) that it's hard to find the
energy to report every dodgy item you come across.

I wonder if there's an easy and effective way to report these things
without getting mired in dealing with local authority indifference.

Nope. And its no news to them.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
pamela wrote:
There are so many substandard electrical goods around these days
(often made in China) that it's hard to find the energy to report
every dodgy item you come across.

Are there really? Where do you buy them?

I wonder if there's an easy and effective way to report these things
without getting mired in dealing with local authority indifference.

Probably not. Local authorities in these cash trapped times have much more
important things to spend what little money they have on.

--
*I don't feel old. I don't feel anything until noon. Then it's time for my nap.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"R D S" wrote in message
On 05/11/16 22:03, pamela wrote:
On 16:52 5 Nov 2016, R D S wrote:

Ebay purchase, charger has a small moulded plug, which given
it's size presumably un-fused.

I could snip it off and fit a proper one. In any case a fault
that would render the lead/wire/flex/cable (what are we calling
it?) dangerous would probably cause a trip with modern
electrics.

Just wondering how people feel about it, I wouldn't have thought
it was legal to sell them like that.

Be interesting to see what the charger looks like. Do you have a
link to the eBay page?

Claims to ship from UK.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/381492173003

Although "Item location" is Cardiff, and the seller's eBay name is
"ukreliable-e-home", if you scroll down to the "Business Seller Information"
link you will find it's Qing Zhou, China.

The wording is typically Chinese-ified, and we have
"Note:Waterproof(but don't put it into water)"
--
Dave W

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 6 Nov 2016 07:46:56 +1100, "Rod Speed"
wrote:

"R D S" wrote in message
Ebay purchase, charger has a small moulded plug, which given it's size
presumably un-fused.

I could snip it off and fit a proper one. In any case a fault that would
render the lead/wire/flex/cable (what are we calling it?) dangerous would
probably cause a trip with modern electrics.

Just wondering how people feel about it, I wouldn't have thought it was
legal to sell them like that.

Given that only you lot are silly enough to have fused plugs, I'd
personally leave it as it is because that clearly works fine world wide.

We are the only lot silly enough, in your terms, to fuse our outlets
at 32A, we need to be treated as a special case!

--

Graham.

%Profound_observation%
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
pamela wrote:
On 11:46 6 Nov 2016, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

In article ,
pamela wrote:
There are so many substandard electrical goods around these
days (often made in China) that it's hard to find the energy to
report every dodgy item you come across.

Are there really? Where do you buy them?

Electrical goods I bought "sold by Amazon" have been substandard or
fake.

Ah. I'm probably unusual in never having used Amazon. I've bought quite a
bit from Ebay without problem - but if the pic looked dodgy, I'd move on.
Or if the price looked too good to be true.

I wonder if there's an easy and effective way to report these
things without getting mired in dealing with local authority
indifference.

Probably not. Local authorities in these cash trapped times have
much more important things to spend what little money they have
on.

--
*ATHEISM IS A NON-PROPHET ORGANIZATION.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

"R D S" wrote in message
Ebay purchase, charger has a small moulded plug, which given it's size
presumably un-fused.

I could snip it off and fit a proper one. In any case a fault that would
render the lead/wire/flex/cable (what are we calling it?) dangerous
would
probably cause a trip with modern electrics.

Just wondering how people feel about it, I wouldn't have thought it was
legal to sell them like that.

Given that only you lot are silly enough to have fused plugs, I'd
personally leave it as it is because that clearly works fine world wide.

We are the only lot silly enough, in your terms, to fuse our outlets
at 32A, we need to be treated as a special case!

Even you should be able to manage to turn the device off if it has a
problem.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/11/16 09:03, pamela wrote:

There are so many substandard electrical goods around these days
(often made in China) that it's hard to find the energy to report
every dodgy item you come across.

I wonder if there's an easy and effective way to report these things
without getting mired in dealing with local authority indifference.

Perhaps 'BBC Watchdog'?

If you have a cash strapped council complaining on less funds available
for the next year, remind them that they could close their "trading
standards" office. No one would notice.

--
Adrian C
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/11/2016 12:31, pamela wrote:
Electrical goods I bought "sold by Amazon" have been substandard or
fake.

What did they say when you complained? (you did complain didn't you?

Andy
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/11/16 21:07, pamela wrote:
On 20:16 6 Nov 2016, Adrian Caspersz wrote:

If you have a cash strapped council complaining on less funds
available for the next year, remind them that they could close
their "trading standards" office. No one would notice.

If I see a programme on the telly which features a largish
successful investigation by trading standards then my first
thought is how on earth they got allocated enough resources to do
it.

Unless it's a local service, many times these trading standards
violations are being broken nationally (like the dodgy mains plug on
eBay) and it would seem better if a central government body could
look into it.

Regulation gets in the way of profits. The current mob are unlikely to
make that a statutory national thing, so it would have to run as a
charity like RNLI, RSPCA, and be self-funding. Then they'd be bankrupted
by some some clever defence lawyer acting for a shady client. And that
will be that

--
Adrian C
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Adrian Caspersz wrote:
On 06/11/16 21:07, pamela wrote:
[...]

It's not new, though. Remember a mate complaining to trading standards
about 25 years ago that he'd bought a clocked car and had proof the dealer
he bought it from had done the clocking. They said that if they looked in
to every case of this they had reported to them, it's all they'd ever do.

--
*'ome is where you 'ang your @ *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, 5 November 2016 16:52:23 UTC, R D S wrote:
Ebay purchase, charger has a small moulded plug, which given it's size
presumably un-fused.

I could snip it off and fit a proper one. In any case a fault that would
render the lead/wire/flex/cable (what are we calling it?) dangerous
would probably cause a trip with modern electrics.

Just wondering how people feel about it, I wouldn't have thought it was
legal to sell them like that.

Well if the plug is that bad, the rest of it is likely crap too.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, 6 November 2016 00:47:10 UTC, wrote:
On Saturday, 5 November 2016 16:52:23 UTC, R D S wrote:
Ebay purchase, charger has a small moulded plug, which given it's size
presumably un-fused.

I could snip it off and fit a proper one. In any case a fault that would
render the lead/wire/flex/cable (what are we calling it?) dangerous
would probably cause a trip with modern electrics.

Just wondering how people feel about it, I wouldn't have thought it was
legal to sell them like that.

There's lots of noncompliant stuff about at the low end of the market. Fit a proper plug.

How could you be certain the rest of the item is safe if they can't even get the plug right ?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
pamela wrote:
On 19:13 6 Nov 2016, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

pamela wrote:
There are so many substandard electrical goods around these
days (often made in China) that it's hard to find the energy
to report every dodgy item you come across.

Are there really? Where do you buy them?

Electrical goods I bought "sold by Amazon" have been
substandard or fake.

Ah. I'm probably unusual in never having used Amazon. I've
bought quite a bit from Ebay without problem - but if the pic
looked dodgy, I'd move on. Or if the price looked too good to be
true.

Amazon is not always a cheap as eBay but the quality tends to be a
bit higher and there's far less hassle if problems crop up. I
couldn't manage without it.

Of course it will depend on what you buy. So far I've managed without
Amazon. And the continual complaints about it to tend to make me think
I'll continue like that. Although do realise the size of it means more
complaints. I suppose I'm also not happy in the way they exploit their
workers. Of course I'm sure that applies to plenty who sell via Ebay too.

--
*A closed mouth gathers no feet.*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"whisky-dave" wrote in message
On Sunday, 6 November 2016 00:47:10 UTC, wrote:
On Saturday, 5 November 2016 16:52:23 UTC, R D S wrote:
Ebay purchase, charger has a small moulded plug, which given it's size
presumably un-fused.

I could snip it off and fit a proper one. In any case a fault that
would
render the lead/wire/flex/cable (what are we calling it?) dangerous
would probably cause a trip with modern electrics.

Just wondering how people feel about it, I wouldn't have thought it was
legal to sell them like that.

There's lots of noncompliant stuff about at the low end of the market.
Fit a proper plug.

How could you be certain the rest of the item is safe if they can't even
get the plug right ?

You obviously can't but the risk is very low with double insulated unearthed
devices.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 8 November 2016 17:21:22 UTC, Rod Speed wrote:
[...]

The risk is one thing whethe rthe product works as advertised or expect is another.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

If it doesnt, you get a full refund.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 9 November 2016 17:26:43 UTC, Rod Speed wrote:
[...]

Try it and find out.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

whisky-dave wrote
Rod Speed wrote
whisky-dave wrote
Rod Speed wrote
whisky-dave wrote
wrote
R D S wrote

Ebay purchase, charger has a small moulded
plug, which given it's size presumably un-fused.

I could snip it off and fit a proper one. In any case a fault that
would render the lead/wire/flex/cable (what are we calling it?)
dangerous would probably cause a trip with modern electrics.

Just wondering how people feel about it, I wouldn't
have thought it was legal to sell them like that.

There's lots of noncompliant stuff about at the
low end of the market. Fit a proper plug.

How could you be certain the rest of the item
is safe if they can't even get the plug right ?

You obviously can't but the risk is very low
with double insulated unearthed devices.

The risk is one thing whethe rthe product
works as advertised or expect is another.

If it doesnt, you get a full refund.

Try it and find out.

Been there, done that, got the full refund. With aliexpress too.

And kept what they sent too.

And I also bought a very decent set of stainless steel nail clippers
for 1c quite literally, including postage. When those showed up
the jaws didnt close in parallel and so were close to useless.
I didnt expect to even get a response from the seller giving the
price and was amazed when he sent another at no cost to me
and didnt want the first ones back. The second ones were perfect.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 10 November 2016 15:52:43 UTC, Rod Speed wrote:
whisky-dave wrote
Rod Speed wrote
whisky-dave wrote
Rod Speed wrote
whisky-dave wrote
wrote
R D S wrote

Ebay purchase, charger has a small moulded
plug, which given it's size presumably un-fused.

I could snip it off and fit a proper one. In any case a fault that
would render the lead/wire/flex/cable (what are we calling it?)
dangerous would probably cause a trip with modern electrics.

Just wondering how people feel about it, I wouldn't
have thought it was legal to sell them like that.

There's lots of noncompliant stuff about at the
low end of the market. Fit a proper plug.

How could you be certain the rest of the item
is safe if they can't even get the plug right ?

You obviously can't but the risk is very low
with double insulated unearthed devices.

The risk is one thing whethe rthe product
works as advertised or expect is another.

If it doesnt, you get a full refund.

Try it and find out.

Been there, done that, got the full refund. With aliexpress too.

Not much good to us though a refund doesn;t get the part.

Students for this course have 2 weeks, no point in them finding the cheap product from china doesn't work and they have to get a new one shipped.
I've told one studetn that his product due on 16th novemeber
project submision 18th.
He won't be able to ask for a replacement from china if it doesn't work when it arrives.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

whisky-dave wrote
Rod Speed wrote
whisky-dave wrote
Rod Speed wrote
whisky-dave wrote
Rod Speed wrote
whisky-dave wrote
wrote
R D S wrote

[...]

Got the part I wanted too when the first one was
****ed, got them to send another and it was fine.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 10 November 2016 19:04:00 UTC, Rod Speed wrote:
whisky-dave wrote
Rod Speed wrote
whisky-dave wrote
Rod Speed wrote
whisky-dave wrote
Rod Speed wrote
whisky-dave wrote
wrote
R D S wrote

[...]

Then tell me how do achive such a fine thing.
Since I found out that the device due to arrive on 16th
the same day as the demostration of this device.
Now if it arrived at 9am demo starts at 2pm.
If the is product is faulty how do teh company in china get the replacement to use in under 5 hours from china. ?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

Tell them the original doesnt work, get them to send another.

Even you should be able to manage that when not completely blotto,
in the unlikely event that you are ever not completely blotto.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, 11 November 2016 18:00:58 UTC, Rod Speed wrote:
[...]

Sending anothe rfrom china still takes more than a day.
Why is it so difficult for you to understand that it take smore than a day to get things shipped from china to the UK ?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

If that matters, even you should be able to work out that you
buy it on ebay from a seller that has them in stock in Britain.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, 14 November 2016 18:22:47 UTC, Rod Speed wrote:
"whisky-dave" wrote in message

Sending anothe rfrom china still takes more than a day.
Why is it so difficult for you to understand that it take smore
than a day to get things shipped from china to the UK ?

If that matters, even you should be able to work out that you
buy it on ebay from a seller that has them in stock in Britain.

He can't, he's as clueless as you.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

We aren't allowed to use ebay, and it's part of the students learning experience to source components and then we get to order them.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
whisky-dave wrote:
We aren't allowed to use ebay, and it's part of the students learning
experience to source components and then we get to order them.

I'd not let any student order components from Ebay either. Because it's
unlikely they have any idea what they should cost, and unlikely they care.
Especially when just buying one. However, if you do know about such things
there are bargains to be had.

--
*I believe five out of four people have trouble with fractions. *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 15 November 2016 13:35:05 UTC, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
whisky-dave wrote:
We aren't allowed to use ebay, and it's part of the students learning
experience to source components and then we get to order them.

I'd not let any student order components from Ebay either. Because it's
unlikely they have any idea what they should cost, and unlikely they care..
Especially when just buying one. However, if you do know about such things
there are bargains to be had.

The students fill out an on-line order form stating what they want and fropm what supplier, any item over £15 must be approved by their supervisor when it goes above £50 authorisation goes further. I look at the order and work out the best place to buy what they want. Currently considering 10 UNOs from RS as they are quick and seem the cheapest at the mo. sure we can get fundorinios for £8 including lead .......

Demo's starts tomorrow 2pm-4pm 25 projects... so being asked to order items today at 5pm will be difficult especailly when one student has aked for something via amazon shipped from china at £18 it hasn't been authorised yet anyway. But I have the same thing in stock brought from a UK company for £12.
He has also asked for the DC barrel connector he wants ONE.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Move-Moving...1mm+power+plug

My solution to this is the ones I get from rapid ~10p each.

So you see in order to not to waste taxpayers money I have to intervene
for the students.

if it comes to sending an item back as I don't have CC details or an account number it has to go to those in finance to sort out the finacall side and for some reason they don;t like doing it. Most companies like farnell RS rapid are very good when we need to send somehting back sometines they say don;t bother we'll just sent a replacement, but ebay depending on who and where they are located can cause problems so finance has told me NOT to use ebay.
A company asked for payment via cheque for £25, finaice told me that it cost £30 to generate a cheque and up to 2 weeks to do it.

If there is an item ONLY availble on ebay it can be odered via finace but it could take far longer than the student is willing to wait. Which is why I aviod it and tell the students to aviod ebay too.

Of course I tell them they can order themsleves from ebay but finance refuse to reemburse students so I leave it up to them.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
whisky-dave wrote:
So you see in order to not to waste taxpayers money I have to intervene
for the students.

Bit ironic, that.

--
*Learn from your parents' mistakes - use birth control.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 15 Nov 2016 07:56:48 -0800 (PST), whisky-dave
wrote:

Demo's starts tomorrow 2pm-4pm 25 projects... so being asked to order items today at 5pm will be difficult

I suppose it must be difficult to fit in with all your Usenet postings
done in work hours.

So you see in order to not to waste taxpayers money I have to intervene
for the students.

The amount of time you spend on Usenet during the working day suggest
that taxpayers money is being wasted already.
Any commercial organisation would decide that if have the time to
spend on the amount of postings you do then you would be seriously
underemployed. Wonder if your employers are aware of it.

G.Harman

Unfused 13A plugs on mobile X-ray machines Andrew Gabriel UK diy 5 July 28th 14 01:34 PM
Fused 4 ways good, unfused 4 ways bad? Chris Holmes UK diy 18 March 1st 13 04:33 PM
Advice for converting Sears Craftsman 220V compressor plug to washing machine plug Elmo[_6_] Home Repair 82 July 28th 10 03:43 PM
Unfused connection boden Home Repair 7 April 26th 07 04:23 AM
Unfused Spurs Me UK diy 18 October 14th 03 10:08 PM