Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Unfused plug

"whisky-dave" wrote in message
On Friday, 11 November 2016 18:00:58 UTC, Rod Speed wrote:
"whisky-dave" wrote in message
On Thursday, 10 November 2016 19:04:00 UTC, Rod Speed wrote:
whisky-dave wrote
Rod Speed wrote
whisky-dave wrote
Rod Speed wrote
whisky-dave wrote
Rod Speed wrote
whisky-dave wrote
wrote
R D S wrote

Ebay purchase, charger has a small moulded
plug, which given it's size presumably un-fused.

I could snip it off and fit a proper one. In any case a
fault
that
would render the lead/wire/flex/cable (what are we
calling
it?)
dangerous would probably cause a trip with modern
electrics.

Just wondering how people feel about it, I wouldn't
have thought it was legal to sell them like that.

There's lots of noncompliant stuff about at the
low end of the market. Fit a proper plug.

How could you be certain the rest of the item
is safe if they can't even get the plug right ?

You obviously can't but the risk is very low
with double insulated unearthed devices.

The risk is one thing whethe rthe product
works as advertised or expect is another.

If it doesnt, you get a full refund.

Try it and find out.

Been there, done that, got the full refund. With aliexpress too.

Not much good to us though a refund doesn;t get the part.

Got the part I wanted too when the first one was
****ed, got them to send another and it was fine.

Then tell me how do achive such a fine thing.

Tell them the original doesnt work, get them to send another.

Even you should be able to manage that when not completely blotto,
in the unlikely event that you are ever not completely blotto.

Sending anothe rfrom china still takes more than a day.
Why is it so difficult for you to understand that it take smore
than a day to get things shipped from china to the UK ?

If that matters, even you should be able to work out that you
buy it on ebay from a seller that has them in stock in Britain.

We aren't allowed to use ebay,

Irrelevant to what is being discussed.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 15 November 2016 17:34:05 UTC, wrote:
On Tue, 15 Nov 2016 07:56:48 -0800 (PST), whisky-dave
wrote:

Demo's starts tomorrow 2pm-4pm 25 projects... so being asked to order items today at 5pm will be difficult

I suppose it must be difficult to fit in with all your Usenet postings
done in work hours.

Not at all I have the googlesheet order forms visable on my righthand side when a studetn edits it I can see what they are adding live to the order.
I then do searches on my 3000+ line excel sheetusing text and order codes and logica stanmetn to see if I have what they want. As I had in stock come and collect to their sheet they come from 2 floors below to my office to collect the items(s) or I place them on the relivent website order forms.

I'l also policing the lab, which means every half hour or so I go and patrol....
I also have 38 students doing an embedded systems lab they should have left at 11am but are still here.
I also have 3 project students working in the lab.

my lunchhour starts at 12:30 to 1:30

So you see in order to not to waste taxpayers money I have to intervene
for the students.

The amount of time you spend on Usenet during the working day suggest
that taxpayers money is being wasted already.

No I have to be here for H&S reasons too .

Any commercial organisation would decide that if have the time to
spend on the amount of postings you do then you would be seriously
underemployed. Wonder if your employers are aware of it.

they've tried in the past and I ripped them to pieces.
So when I reported a breach of health and saftey they treid to say I;m sexist in order to shut me up, I;m now loking at legal proceeding but I''m betting they'll climb down and scupper away as they have domne many times in the past.

G.Harman

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 15 November 2016 18:49:26 UTC, Rod Speed wrote:
[...]

How would someone like you know what is relivent.
If I'm told I'm not allowed to orde from ebay for studetns projects then I don't do it.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

whisky-dave wrote:
snip

they've tried in the past and I ripped them to pieces. So when I reported
a breach of health and saftey they treid to say I;m sexist in order to
shut me up, I;m now loking at legal proceeding but I''m betting they'll
climb down and scupper away as they have domne many times in the past.

Idle curiosity makes me wonder what health and safety concern could be
considered sexist. It wasn't related to Mr Trump's concern about a
journalist working on a bad day, perhaps?

--

Roger Hayter
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 16 November 2016 13:09:48 UTC, Roger Hayter wrote:
whisky-dave wrote:
snip

they've tried in the past and I ripped them to pieces. So when I reported
a breach of health and saftey they treid to say I;m sexist in order to
shut me up, I;m now loking at legal proceeding but I''m betting they'll
climb down and scupper away as they have domne many times in the past.

Idle curiosity makes me wonder what health and safety concern could be
considered sexist. It wasn't related to Mr Trump's concern about a
journalist working on a bad day, perhaps?

well I'm not aure I should say with the situation ongoing, but a female studetn one of a few was asking me why i donlt put the heating on in the lab I explained it's not up to me but the heating not worked in over 30 years.
we have a thermoter for some suplied by the college to monitor temperatures, they wouldn't supply me with one so I brought one without telling.

https://www.rapidonline.com/brannan-...-215mm-87-4314

a couple of weeks ago the temp was 14C at 9am , rising to 15 by 10am .

I emailed the department telling them asking athean swan for thier support, look them up. I was then told this is sexist and that it would go on my perminatn record so I asked to see that record and ther've asked me for £10 and proof of ID.
No with intrested groups to see who's right and who's wrong, maybe it's a ploy to shut me up about PAT testing in the furture.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 16 November 2016 13:53:46 UTC, whisky-dave wrote:
On Wednesday, 16 November 2016 13:09:48 UTC, Roger Hayter wrote:
whisky-dave wrote:
snip

[...]

Hopefully you have a picture of the low temps with date/time evidence.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 16 November 2016 15:12:12 UTC, wrote:
On Wednesday, 16 November 2016 13:53:46 UTC, whisky-dave wrote:
On Wednesday, 16 November 2016 13:09:48 UTC, Roger Hayter wrote:
whisky-dave wrote:
snip

[...]

No.
I had a lab at low temerature if they want to experience it they could have come over in fact one academic that told me he couldn;t find the 1992 act section 7, I think IIRC was teh chairman of the departments H&S comitee.

He must of missed 30+ students all sitting with their coats on while he came and saw how his lab was running he didn;t stay for more than 10 mins kept his coat on though.
One female academic sent an email to teh H&S directorta in the college.
Since then heating engineers have turned up and put the heating on they admited that it was blowing cold air into the lab 1C colder than the lab was.

Now temp up to 22C , this weekend there will be a system shutdown of teh heating system to clean it and get it working properly.
Currently all windows are single glazed from the early 1960s.
Over Xmas all the windows on one side will be replaced after they remove the asbestos (which no one knew was there) .
SO I may question why we have been lettign studetns work in a lab with asbestos in it I was told this was all removed in the late 1970s before even I arrived.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

whisky-dave wrote:

Hopefully you have a picture of the low temps with date/time evidence.

No.

Over Xmas all the windows on one side will be replaced after they remove the asbestos (which no one knew was there) .
SO I may question why we have been lettign studetns work in a lab with asbestos in it I was told this was all removed in the late 1970s before even I arrived.

There's nothing illegal about asbestos being present.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

whisky-dave wrote:

On Wednesday, 16 November 2016 13:09:48 UTC, Roger Hayter wrote:
whisky-dave wrote:
snip

they've tried in the past and I ripped them to pieces. So when I reported
a breach of health and saftey they treid to say I;m sexist in order to
shut me up, I;m now loking at legal proceeding but I''m betting they'll
climb down and scupper away as they have domne many times in the past.

Idle curiosity makes me wonder what health and safety concern could be
considered sexist. It wasn't related to Mr Trump's concern about a
journalist working on a bad day, perhaps?

well I'm not aure I should say with the situation ongoing, but a female
westudetn one of a few was asking me why i donlt put the heating on in the
welab I explained it's not up to me but the heating not worked in over 30
weyears. have a thermoter for some suplied by the college to monitor
wetemperatures, they wouldn't supply me with one so I brought one without
wetelling.

https://www.rapidonline.com/brannan-...r-factories-ac
t-workplace-regulations-215mm-87-4314

a couple of weeks ago the temp was 14C at 9am , rising to 15 by 10am .

I emailed the department telling them asking athean swan for thier
support, look them up. I was then told this is sexist and that it would go
on my perminatn record so I asked to see that record and ther've asked me
for £10 and proof of ID. No with intrested groups to see who's right and
who's wrong, maybe it's a ploy to shut me up about PAT testing in the
furture.

Still can't tell how this would be sexist, but since I cannot make any
sense of "asking athean swan" perhaps I am missing something. I would
have thought the males students had just as much right to a reasonable
temperature as the female ones!

--

Roger Hayter
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 16 Nov 2016 23:42:43 +0000, Roger Hayter wrote:

whisky-dave wrote:

On Wednesday, 16 November 2016 13:09:48 UTC, Roger Hayter wrote:
snip

https://www.rapidonline.com/brannan-...l-thermometer-

factories-ac
t-workplace-regulations-215mm-87-4314

a couple of weeks ago the temp was 14C at 9am , rising to 15 by 10am .

I emailed the department telling them asking athean swan for thier
support, look them up. I was then told this is sexist and that it would
go on my perminatn record so I asked to see that record and ther've
asked me for £10 and proof of ID. No with intrested groups to see who's
right and who's wrong, maybe it's a ploy to shut me up about PAT
testing in the furture.

Still can't tell how this would be sexist, but since I cannot make any
sense of "asking athean swan" perhaps I am missing something. I would
have thought the males students had just as much right to a reasonable
temperature as the female ones!

He's referring (rather badly) to the Athena Swan initiative, which is a
box-ticking exercise to get certification of how the organisation treats
women in an even handed (or over-handed!) way. There are various levels.
It is not a person, or indeed even an organisation as such, but the name
for this box-ticking exercise. I suspect that he means he was 'asking'
the local box tickers.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

whisky-dave wrote:

Hopefully you have a picture of the low temps with date/time evidence.

No.

Over Xmas all the windows on one side will be replaced after they remove the asbestos (which no one knew was there) .
SO I may question why we have been lettign studetns work in a lab with asbestos in it I was told this was all removed in the late 1970s before even I arrived.

There's nothing illegal about asbestos being present.

NT

I never said there was, it's still a substance that has uses.
But I thought it had been removed years ago, and told it was removed years ago.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 16 November 2016 23:42:46 UTC, Roger Hayter wrote:
whisky-dave wrote:

On Wednesday, 16 November 2016 13:09:48 UTC, Roger Hayter wrote:
whisky-dave wrote:
snip

[...]

me niether.

but since I cannot make any
sense of "asking athean swan" perhaps I am missing something.

Well I sent out a group email to everyone report the FACT that the lab temeprature was under that set by whoever decides.

I would
have thought the males students had just as much right to a reasonable
temperature as the female ones!

Me too.
But in previous years it just gets ignored probably because I tell students it's OK if yuo don't like it put a coat on or wear more clothes.
Now if you watch (I think horizon) last might I've see it before
it shows how females feel the cold more than males do.
As we're trying to attract more female students to engineering just like the athena swan group support more women in engineering which I agree with WRT equality. I've had both genders come up to me to say why don't I switch the heating on.
For some reason the email I send out got there main response one saying they couldn't find no such factory act, another saying that there is NO such thing as minium temeratures in the workplace, and another saying my email or rather how they read the email is sexist I assume because I asked athena swan (as a last resort) to help me bring the lab up to a reasnable temerature for the students.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 17 November 2016 01:23:40 UTC, Bob Eager wrote:
On Wed, 16 Nov 2016 23:42:43 +0000, Roger Hayter wrote:

Still can't tell how this would be sexist, but since I cannot make any
sense of "asking athean swan" perhaps I am missing something. I would
have thought the males students had just as much right to a reasonable
temperature as the female ones!

He's referring (rather badly) to the Athena Swan initiative, which is a
box-ticking exercise to get certification of how the organisation treats
women in an even handed (or over-handed!) way. There are various levels.
It is not a person, or indeed even an organisation as such, but the name
for this box-ticking exercise. I suspect that he means he was 'asking'
the local box tickers.

Yes thank you for explaining it beter than me.
I believe or believed that the box ticking could be used to enure the H&S of all but I should know better shouldn't I ;-)

https://c4mb.wordpress.com/2013/11/0...le-scientists/

Which I do think is a little harsh. Bit as I was told to collect and deliver the parcels to one of the athena swan managers because post can be delivered by the women in reception but parcels can't so the job was handed to me.. I rejected this job as sexist.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

whisky-dave wrote:

On Wednesday, 16 November 2016 13:09:48 UTC, Roger Hayter wrote:
whisky-dave wrote:
snip

they've tried in the past and I ripped them to pieces. So when I
reported a breach of health and saftey they treid to say I;m
sexist in order to shut me up, I;m now loking at legal proceeding
but I''m betting they'll climb down and scupper away as they have
domne many times in the past.

well I'm not aure I should say with the situation ongoing, but a female
westudetn one of a few was asking me why i donlt put the heating on in the

Idle curiosity makes me wonder what health and safety concern could
be considered sexist. It wasn't related to Mr Trump's concern about
a journalist working on a bad day, perhaps?

welab I explained it's not up to me but the heating not worked in

over 30
weyears. have a thermoter for some suplied by the college to monitor
wetemperatures, they wouldn't supply me with one so I brought one
wewithout telling.

https://www.rapidonline.com/brannan-...meter-factorie
[...]

That is an outrageous accusation. Effectively you sought aid from the
anti-discrimination people on the grounds that, according to a popular
science programme you'd seen, illegallly low temperatures in the lab
might discourage female students disproportinately. You might
reasonably have been accused of clutching at straws, but accusations of
sexism are totally unjustified. BTW, do the Factories Acts temperature
limits apply to students, or only to employees like yourself and the
teachers?

--

Roger Hayter
Posted to uk.d-i-y

whisky-dave wrote:

On Wednesday, 16 November 2016 13:09:48 UTC, Roger Hayter wrote:
whisky-dave wrote:
snip

[...]

What accusation ?

Effectively you sought aid from the
anti-discrimination people on the grounds that, according to a popular
science programme you'd seen,

No not accrding to that.

illegallly low temperatures in the lab
might discourage female students disproportinately.

So why was it mostly our female studetn complaining ?

You might
reasonably have been accused of clutching at straws, but accusations of
sexism are totally unjustified.

I know.

BTW, do the Factories Acts temperature
limits apply to students, or only to employees like yourself and the
teachers?

why not look it up.
_____________________________
http://www.pcs.org.uk/en/resources/h...tions_1992.cfm

The Approved Code of Practice (ACoP) stipulates that, unless severe physical effort forms a greater part of the work activity, a normal temperature of at least 16° C is required. But, it goes on to point out that even this may not be considered sufficient.

___________________________

In fact schools and colleges tend to state that the temperature should be 18C
for classrooms.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
whisky-dave wrote:
So you see in order to not to waste taxpayers money I have to intervene
for the students.

Bit ironic, that.

Saving in component cost £6, admin cost £50.

Possibly ordering all common off the shelf components from, say, RS may
actually work out cheaper for an organisation. Having to service/pay
invoices from many suppliers cost a lot more than just having to pay one
supplier. All the 'back room' services cost a lot more compared to
saving pence or single figure pounds when buying a one off item.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/11/2016 13:53, whisky-dave wrote:

https://www.rapidonline.com/brannan-...-215mm-87-4314

I wonder why they call it a workplace thermometer for offices and
factories when the legal minimum depends on the type of work being done
there and is frequently not 16C?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17/11/2016 11:12, whisky-dave wrote:

Which I do think is a little harsh. Bit as I was told to collect and
deliver the parcels to one of the athena swan managers because post
can be delivered by the women in reception but parcels can't so the
job was handed to me. I rejected this job as sexist.

Its not sexist to ask someone who is physically more able to do a job.

It is sexist to refuse to do that job because a woman can't physically
do it.
Would you refuse to do it if a man was unable to do it?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

dennis@home wrote
whisky-dave wrote

Which I do think is a little harsh. Bit as I was told to collect and
deliver the parcels to one of the athena swan managers because post can
be delivered by the women in reception but parcels can't so the job was
handed to me. I rejected this job as sexist.

Its not sexist to ask someone who is physically more able to do a job.

It is sexist to say that no woman is allowed to carry any parcel, just
letters.

It is sexist to refuse to do that job because a woman can't physically do
it.

Wrong.

Would you refuse to do it if a man was unable to do it?

Irrelevant to what is being discussed.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

dennis@home wrote:

On 17/11/2016 11:12, whisky-dave wrote:

Which I do think is a little harsh. Bit as I was told to collect and
deliver the parcels to one of the athena swan managers because post
can be delivered by the women in reception but parcels can't so the
job was handed to me. I rejected this job as sexist.

Its not sexist to ask someone who is physically more able to do a job.

It is sexist to refuse to do that job because a woman can't physically
do it.
Would you refuse to do it if a man was unable to do it?

However, it may or may not be sexist to say that reception staff (who
are all women) can't do the job but technical staff (who are all men)
can. If one group have more extensive lifting and handling training it
may be quite proper. But if this rule is to be non-discriminatory the
employer has to be quite sure what would happen if they appointed a man
to the reception staff or a woman to the technical staff. It is no
answer to say they would simply never do that!

Bottom line. If the rule has been made for any other reason than the
personal abilities of the individual staff members then I suspect it may
well be illegally discriminatory.

--

Roger Hayter
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17/11/2016 23:48, Roger Hayter wrote:
dennis@home wrote:

[...]

The easy answer is to tell dave to deliver the letters as well, the
receptionists should be on the reception not delivering stuff.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 17 November 2016 21:30:28 UTC, dennis@home wrote:
On 17/11/2016 11:12, whisky-dave wrote:

Which I do think is a little harsh. Bit as I was told to collect and
deliver the parcels to one of the athena swan managers because post
can be delivered by the women in reception but parcels can't so the
job was handed to me. I rejected this job as sexist.

Its not sexist to ask someone who is physically more able to do a job.

What makes them more able ? bigger bisepts.

It is sexist to refuse to do that job because a woman can't physically
do it.
Would you refuse to do it if a man was unable to do it?

Depends on the reason,

Unfused 13A plugs on mobile X-ray machines Andrew Gabriel UK diy 5 July 28th 14 01:34 PM
Fused 4 ways good, unfused 4 ways bad? Chris Holmes UK diy 18 March 1st 13 04:33 PM
Advice for converting Sears Craftsman 220V compressor plug to washing machine plug Elmo[_6_] Home Repair 82 July 28th 10 03:43 PM
Unfused connection boden Home Repair 7 April 26th 07 04:23 AM
Unfused Spurs Me UK diy 18 October 14th 03 10:08 PM